Science Forums

Imagine if cancer could become trivial

whoa182

Advances in medicine are likely to be made available to the public within the decade. Advances such as nanoscale sensors and drug delivery devices are being tested now, at several university and business labs.

One very good example is the work with nanoshells being done at Rice by Dr. Naomi Halas and Dr. Jennifer West.

The process:

during your regular checkup, your doctor injects you with nanoshells, then shines a "near-infrared" light over your body, briefly. Then a program on their laptop indicates location, shape and size of any new early-stage tumors. Once located, each tumor can then be hit with the same light, at higher energies, killing the tumor, and not damaging the surrounding tissues.

within the next decade cancer will become more of just a bit of a nuisance than something life threatening

Shame things like these are going to come too late for millions of people, but trials are starting next year, take a read of this

While drug companies cast about for a better pill to treat cancer, Naomi Halas has turned to nanotechnology. The Rice University engineer is the inventor of the “nanoshell,” a gold-coated globe of silica about 1/20 the size of a red blood cell that attaches itself to tumors.

Halas has shown, in petri dishes, that flashes of near-infrared light burn the shells and cancerous tissue without destroying healthy cells. Now, just under a year later, Halas says the nanoshells work just as effectively in rodents. Tumorous mice injected with nanoshells and then exposed to infrared light became cancer-free within 10 days, and stayed that way after treatment. Good news for rodents, but will it work in humans? We’ll find out next year (2005) when Halas begins clinical trials.

Could we see the end of most cancers within the next 5 years... I believe its entirely possible, 10 years max.

What you do you think? Any interesting technologies that look really promising that you know of..

I love this kind of stuff. It sounds like far-out science fiction, but when I read that people are actually trying to get it to work I get excited. Cancer is of course one problem - imagine the day when they can just give you a pill and it will let lose a lot of small nanobots in your body and find out whatever is wrong with you (and fix it in the process). Kind of scary, though. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've once read about cancer...It's of the diseases that r caused due to the damage of more than one gene..There r two groups of genes, the damage of any of these groups causes cancer..

The first group is called oncogens: these genes r the genes which have the susceptibility to form tumors if its function isn't controlled by the other group which is called tumor suppressor genes, this group is responsable for controlling the activity & function of the first group (oncogens)...So any damage happens in one or both groups is considered as a cause for cancer...

In the field of Genetics Engineering, scientists have discovered a gene called (p53)..this gene is responsible for most of cancer kinds which affect different organs of human body...If, for any reason, a damage happens in that gene,, there'll be a possibility of having cancer...So scientists can , by Genetics Enginring, inject another functioning (p53) gene, & replace the damaged one, so the possibility of having cancer is meant to be over...

I don't know whether any of these technologis has been applied or not...

Anyway, further explaination would be helpful..

Could we see the end of most cancers within the next 5 years... I believe its entirely possible, 10 years max.

I certainly hope so. It's amazing how far we've come in terms of medical science in the last 100 years.

I personally hate cancer though my family isn't terribly afflicted with it. I hate the fact our own bodies turn on us and destroy us.

I think within the next 10 years we'll see more and more successful treatments for different types of Cancer with nearly 100% success rate. Within 50 years you won't see it much at all. I figure by that time gene therapy will have advanced far enough to put an end to it.

• 4 months later...

Cancer (as genetic progress of changing cells to immortal and as disease) is so versatile disease that even the same type can be very different in different patient. I myself am working in cancer genetics and molecular biology and more i know more i believe that cancer (this or that form) will outlive the humans.

I don't believe will ever find universal 'pill' which you will take and be cured of cancer but we all are making progress in early diagnostic, better treatment of patients and better life quality after cancer- there are many excellent drugs, kemotherapeutic and diagnostic techniques- but only available to very very wealthy individuals- medicine is expensive. That is the main problem!

There is an astounding inventory of old people crapping in diapers in nursing homes right now. Folks born before the Great Depression and WWII, before modern medicine, before nutrition... are living beyond age 78 on the average. There is every reason to believe Baby Boomers will have average lifespans of 100 years.

Imagine a nation of 300 million containing 100 million cases of senile dementia at a (very conservative) healthcare cost of $150/day each. The cost of extended lifespan will thus exceed $5.5 trillion/year. What does that leave the other 200 million who work for a living?

The future does not promise death will be conquered. Death will be delivered by jackbooted State imposition.

• 1 month later...

Here is some recent developments that you might not be aware of.. They are quite amazing.

Development1

Nanocell's double hit on cancer

Nanocell that can burrow into a tumour, cut off its blood supply and detonate a lethal dose of anti-cancer toxins has been developed.

The double-action therapy, which comes packed in a tiny double chamber, leaves healthy cells unscathed.

It has proved safe and effective against melanoma and a form of lung cancer in mice.

Details of the technique, developed at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, are published in Nature.

The technique combines two methods of combating cancer - poisoning tumour cells and cutting off the blood supply to the tumour.

Previously, the dual strategy has proved difficult as chemotherapy could not be delivered to tumours if the supply line - the blood vessels - had been cut.

Also, the drugs required are delivered on different schedules - blood vessel-destroying anti-angiogenics over a prolonged period, and chemotherapy in cycles.

Double balloon

The MIT team tackled the problem by creating a structure for the nanocell that resembled a balloon within a balloon.

The researchers loaded the outer membrane of the nanocell with an anti-angiogenic drug and the inner balloon with chemotherapy agents.

They also created a surface chemistry which allowed the nanocell to evade detection by the immune system.

The nanocell was made small enough to pass through tumour vessels, but too large for the pores of normal vessels.

Once inside the tumour, the nanocell's outer membrane disintegrates, rapidly deploying the anti-angiogenic drug.

The blood vessels feeding the tumor then collapse, trapping the loaded nanoparticle in the tumor, where it slowly releases the chemotherapy.

Tests in mice showed the nanocell shrank the tumour, stopped angiogenesis (new vessel growth) and avoided damage to surrounding healthy tissue much more effectively than other cancer treatments.

Eight out of 10 mice treated with the nanocells survived for more than 65 days.

Mice treated with the best current therapy survived for just 30 days, while untreated animals died at 20 days.

The nanocell worked better against melanoma than lung cancer - indicating the need to tweak the design for different cancers.

Elegant system

Lead researcher Professor Ram Sasisekharan said: "This model enables us to rationally and systematically evaluate drug combinations and loading mechanisms.

"It's not going to stop here. We want to build on this concept."

Dr Judah Folkman, of Children's Hospital Boston, said: "It's an elegant technique for attacking the two compartments of a tumor, its vascular system and the cancer cells."

Henry Scowcroft, of Cancer Research UK, said: "This is a fascinating approach to cancer therapy that seems to be paying off in animal models of the disease.

"The idea of using nanoparticles as a sort of therapeutic 'Trojan horse', attacking the cancer cell by stealth from within, is entirely new.

"Although this concept is only starting out on the long road to becoming a treatment for cancer patients, these preliminary results look very promising indeed."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4715739.stm

Development 2

Nanotechnology kills cancer cells

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4734507.stm

Nanotechnology has been harnessed to kill cancer cells without harming healthy tissue.

The technique works by inserting microscopic synthetic rods called carbon nanotubules into cancer cells.

When the rods are exposed to near-infra red light from a laser they heat up, killing the cell, while cells without rods are left unscathed.

Details of the Stanford University work are published by Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Researcher Dr Hongjie Dai said: "One of the longstanding problems in medicine is how to cure cancer without harming normal body tissue.

"Standard chemotherapy destroys cancer cells and normal cells alike.

"That's why patients often lose their hair and suffer numerous other side effects.

"For us, the Holy Grail would be finding a way to selectively kill cancer cells and not damage healthy ones."

Many in cell

The carbon nanotubules used by the Stanford team are only half the width of a DNA molecule, and thousands can easily fit inside a typical cell.

Under normal circumstances near-infra red light passes through the body harmlessly.

But the Stanford team found that if they placed a solution of carbon nanotubules under a near-infra red laser beam, the solution heated up to about 70C in two minutes.

They then placed the tubules inside cells, and found they were quickly destroyed by the heat generated by the laser beam.

Dr Dai said: "It's actually quite simple and amazing. We're using an intrinsic property of nanotubes to develop a weapon that kills cancer."

The next step was to find a way to introduce the nantubules into cancer cells, but not healthy cells.

The researchers did this by taking advantage of the fact that, unlike normal cells, the surface of cancer cells is covered with receptors for a vitamin known as folate.

They coated the nanotubules with folate molecules, making it easy for them to pass into cancer cells, but unable to bind with their healthy cousins.

Exposure to the laser duly killed off the diseased cells, but left the healthy ones untouched.

Refined technique

The researchers believe it should be possible to refine the technique still further, for instance by attaching an antibody to a nanotubule to target a particular kind of cancer cell.

They have already started work on tailoring the technique to target lymphoma in mice.

Dr Emma Knight, of the charity Cancer Research UK, said: "Nanotechnology has a lot to offer biomedical science, and the results of this paper suggest yet another way in which it may help in the fight against cancer.

"However, this work is still at a very early stage. The researchers have shown that near-infra red light can cause nanotubes to produce heat that can kill cancer cells.

"But their work so far has focused on cells that have been grown in culture in the laboratory.

"Further research will be crucial to see whether these effects can be reproduced in the more complex environment of a tumour and, ultimately, the human body."

well, theoritically, it seems applicable although in vivo processing could amaze us with unexpected responses ..

technology is a bifacial tool .. i guess we still remember that radiologic studies where found out to reveal pathologic lesion as neoplastic ones ..then it turned its homely face by inducing carcinogenesis itself!!

so hoping too much is one of the MDs pitfalls ..

this doesnt mean it shall not be followed up .. the up-side down turn of diseased humans' life worths every single trial ..whereas u may know that promotion of an already initiated carcinogensis is unpredictable , i.e. those nanotubules could be promoters themselves in certain cases ..

all in all , i still think it is respect worthy the human brain that comes up with such great ideas, weighing both advantages & disadvantages of newly introduced applications , predicting even bizzare responses ..

yup, a small p.s. for who commented "old people inventory" , cancer could be one of the leading causes of mortality, but its not the only one!! & saving lives shall be the representative goal of the medical profession never hesitated upon, fearing the burden of take-care of amnestic old people who could be our parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

A quick update on the progress of some new cancer treatment in clinical trials already or going to be soon... It's really good that scientists are now coming up with targeted cancer treatments that will minimize side effects. I still believe that by 2010 cancer death rates will be drastically reduced.

Nanoparticle cancer-fighter entering clinical trials

http://www.betterhumans.com/News/4511/Default.aspx

Designed to restore lost tumor-busting gene, treatment will be tested on 20 human subjects

The first clinical trial of a nanoparticle that restores a tumor-busting gene is expected to start this September.

The phase I study at Georgetown University Medical Center will enroll 20 people with advanced solid cancers, including most common tumor types.

The treatment, developed over a decade by researchers led by Esther H. Chang, is described in a Georgetown news release as follows:

[Chang and colleagues'] research has led to development of a tiny structure—measuring a millionth of an inch across—that resembles a virus particle that can penetrate deeply into the tumor and move efficiently into cells. The device is a "liposome"—a microscopic globule made of lipids—that is spiked on the outside with antibody molecules that will seek out, bind to, and then enter cancer cells including metastases wherever they hide in the body. These molecules bind to the receptor for transferrin that is present in high numbers on cancer cells.

Once inside, the nanoparticle, which the researchers call a "immunolipoplex," will deliver its payload—the p53 gene whose protein helps to signal cells to self-destruct when they have the kind of genetic damage characterized by cancer and by cancer therapies.

More than half of all cancer patients have cancer cells that have lost normal functioning of the p53 gene, so-called "guardian of the genome," and the Georgetown researchers believe that restoring the gene will improve the tumor-killing ability of traditional treatments.

The researchers think that that immunolipoplex is an advance over viral vectors used to deliver gene therapy because it doesn’t produce the kinds of immune responses seen with disabled viruses.

The nanoparticle has been proven to work in animals with tumors.

It has also been found to work synergistically with traditional therapies because the restored p53 protein pushes cancer cells that are damaged to self-destruct.

"We believe this approach will make it difficult for the cancer cells to become resistant to therapy," says Chang. "As a result, cancers treated with these liposomal formulations should be less likely to recur after therapy is complete."

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure if this is correct but cancer can induce a blood supply for itself but not nervous tissue. If this is true, maybe the answer is to induce nervous tissue growth into cancers. It would appear to me that nervous tissue might play a role in cellular differentaition and cell cycle control, thereby being contrary to the needs of cancer.

• 1 year later...

What you do you think? Any interesting technologies that look really promising that you know of..

here is one for kids

interesting the new virus cancer links

(e.g.,cervical cancer)

The World Today - New virus discovered

I hate to see kids with cancer.

It seems so unfair:(

New virus discovered

PRINT FRIENDLY EMAIL STORY

The World Today - Tuesday, 29 May , 2007 12:46:00

Reporter: Kathryn Roberts

ELEANOR HALL: To Queensland, where researchers have discovered a new virus in children that may have links to cancer.

The infection belongs to a family of polyoma viruses that have been known to cause tumours.

The discovery was made by doctors at the Queensland Paediatric Infectious Diseases Laboratory based at the Royal Children's Hospital in Brisbane.

And the researchers say they hope the discovery will eventually lead to a vaccine for the virus.

In Brisbane, Kathryn Roberts reports.

KATHRYN ROBERTS: Associate Professors Theo Sloots and Michael Nissen from the Royal Children's Hospital in Brisbane are affectionately known as the bug detectives for their work on children's respiratory infections.

Now, after five years of research, the two Queenslanders have detected a new virus called the W.U virus.

Theo Sloots says the virus is generally found in patients younger than three years of age, who have the symptoms of severe respiratory tract infections such as a cough, fever, wheezing and shortness of breath.

He says in 30 per cent of these cases, doctors can't identify the cause. So he and his colleague examined those cases and discovered this new virus, which identified as a polyoma virus.

THEO SLOOTS: There's now a new cause of respiratory disease in children, so we can look at how it causes respiratory disease and how we can possibly develop a vaccine to it.

But secondly it comes from this family of viruses called polyoma viruses which are known to cause cancers in other animals, and some members of the human polyoma viruses can actually cause brain tumours in humans, particularly humans who are immuno-compromised?

KATHRYN ROBERTS: Does that mean that a child with polyoma virus is more likely to potentially develop a brain tumour or some sort of tumour in the future?

more at site

There is an astounding inventory of old people crapping in diapers in nursing homes ...The future does not promise death will be conquered. Death will be delivered by jackbooted State imposition.

NBC Special: Changes to the Euthenasia Law

For those of you over the age of 90 as of midnight tonight, or have family members who are, you need to know that the National Euthenasia Law has been modified by Congress at the request of the President and the Secretary of the Treasury.

The Euthenasia Reprieve Examination (EPE) will now be given twice a year to all citizens over the age of 90, instead of just once a year. Anyone failing to make a passing grade on the EPE will have 72 hours to report for euthenasia at any of the Federal Mercy Clinics.

Furthermore, the passing grade on the EPE has been raised from 60% to 67%, and the number of questions on the EPE has been increased from 80 to 90, even though the time limit of one hour remains unchanged.

As always, there will be no medical or emergency excuses for missing or postponing the examination. Failure to show up for the EPE at the appointed time will be considered the same as failing the exam, and therefore the legal equivalent of "criminal senility".

The President has assured the nation that these measures are necessary for the support of the national economy, and he apologizes for any inconvenience these changes may cause.

NBC Special: Changes to the Euthenasia Law

For those of you over the age of 90 as of midnight tonight, or have family members who are, you need to know that the National Euthenasia Law has been modified by Congress at the request of the President and the Secretary of the Treasury.

SO, are you talking about me!!!!~:P

:read:

Imagine if we actually studied herbs and how they could help without patenting the drug from them.

:P

James Duke an eminent pharmocognosist (see his on-line herbal data base -a brilliant, free resource for the world!) says we should study all herbs that folklore says gets rid of warts.

I only heard an Aboriginal (female) elder from WA on the radio yesterday talking about a local wart remedy ( see has written a book-though she never went to school- ; I think that makes three by Oz aborigines- climate and vegetation is so different in different areas we need 100 books to preserve native plant wisdom!)

Anyway here is an article on the herb/spice turmeric.(curcumin)

You should be able to grow in in zones 8-9 and above

This well-performed study provides an elegant mechanistic explanation for the anticancer effect of curcumin, which appears to act in a p53 independent manner.

These exciting data suggest that this dietary supplement should be studied in combination with traditional forms of chemotherapy or radiotherapy in tumors dependent on the MDM2 pathway.

UroToday - Home

Curcumin has anticancer effects