Science Forums

A Slow Discussion of Fast Food

Buffy

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, my favorite was the scene where he opened the fridge and you saw a white can with black writing that said "BEER". Now THAT's product placement at its finest! LOL
You have to be of a certain age to remember "generic food." Those specific labels were were from Ralph's in Southern California, and they had a whole aisle with nothing but those cans and other items with the horizontal two-tone blue stripe. We had a giant boulder in my home town that everyone spray painted with birthdays and other announcements, and the best one ever was when someone spraypainted the blue stripe and "Rock" in big letters. I helped in a follow up painting the following night to put a UPC code on it...

Take a careful look at the video, and you'll see Otto take a can out of the fridge labeled simply "Food" We fell out of our seats when we first saw that...

Cheers,

Buffy

Okay, everybody: what *won't* you eat food wise.

I told Tinny in a private post that I wouldn't eat Durian, but Tinny replied that I really have to try it. It supposedly has an, um, distinctive smell, and in some places its actually banned from public consumption (Singapore I think). Tinny: join in and tell us why we should!

I also insist on no onion and no tomato on my burgers, although I love onion rings (go figure), and anchovies are okay but only on Ceasar salad.

Sushi, frogs legs, snails love em all. Will not touch anything with bell peppers but throw massive amounts of fresh habanero in most of my recipes where appropriate.

What's on *your* won't eat list?

Cheers,

Buffy

man, mayo is definitely on my not-eat list.

mustard, bananas. ugh those things make me sick.

custard donuts, no way. anything with a gross texture.

yeah i don't like milk either, but i like it with cereal.

and for some reason i can't tear apart crawdads, or anything, to eat the meat inside. even though they're dead, i just can't tear those things open.

Sushi, frogs legs, snails love em all. Will not touch anything with bell peppers but throw massive amounts of fresh habanero in most of my recipes where appropriate.

What's on *your* won't eat list?

I like frog legs too. As for other reptiles, rattlesnake's pretty tasty and alligator's not bad even though it's kind of chewy, not as bad as octopus though.

I'm not a bell pepper person either but you keep talkin' about habaneros like that and I'll think you're flirtin' with me. I was growing my own habaneros before any of the stores had them just so I could have some. Fresh tabasco peppers picked off the bush and dipped in apple jelly are pretty good too if you like hot peppers.

Stuff I won't eat? Mountain oysters and pork brains are the two biggest turn offs I can think of. Don't care much for chitlins or any kind of boiled greens either, especially boiled okra, it's just to slimy for me.

Can't stand octopus, but I love calamari.

Can't stand raw oysters, but I love them fried. Same with clams.

Don't like hot friend chicken, but love it out of the fridge.

Will eat almost any kind of veggie.

Don't care for monkey.

LOVE alligator, especially et touffe.

Don't like brains or tongues, the texture of both disgusts me.

Will try anything else at least once, as long as you don't tell me what it is before I eat it.

That's the key, really. On a camel ride through the UAE, we stopped and had a 'traditional Bedouin meal'. I have no idea what I ate, and I am fairly certain that some of it is not legal in the States. But I know that it was one of the most interesting meals I have ever experienced, and my pallette was tickled repeatedly. The same thing happened in Antalya, Turkey (which also boasts the best fresh vegetables of any I've ever tasted!). The owner just brought us food until we were full, and we never knew what half of it was. But man, was that some good stuff!!

The only thing that I will not eat under any circumstances is cooked peas. I just can't stand them!!

• 5 months later...
i don't like sour cream
Neither does my daughter. But try this recipe:

7 fresh strawberries, cut in half

1.3 dollops of sour cream

3.14159 teablespoons of golden brown sugar

Put in bowl in order. Consume lackadaisically. Follow with a Drambuie, up.

Please note: sour cream is antithetical to fast food. No fast food joint I know serves it. The closest I can think of is "Those Potatoes" at Hamburger Hamlet, another one of those "must have one before you croak" treats:

Make hash browns on one side. When fully browned, slide carefully out of pan on to plate, spread sour cream on the unbrowned side, and fold over. Serve. Indescribably delicious.

Remember: food always pulls me out of the woodwork.

Cheers,

Buffy

Neither does my daughter. But try this recipe:

7 fresh strawberries, cut in half

1.3 dollops of sour cream

3.14159 teablespoons of golden brown sugar

Put in bowl in order. Consume lackadaisically. Follow with a Drambuie, up.

Please note: sour cream is antithetical to fast food. No fast food joint I know serves it. The closest I can think of is "Those Potatoes" at Hamburger Hamlet, another one of those "must have one before you croak" treats:

Make hash browns on one side. When fully browned, slide carefully out of pan on to plate, spread sour cream on the unbrowned side, and fold over. Serve. Indescribably delicious.

Remember: food always pulls me out of the woodwork.

Cheers,

Buffy

I'm going to have to try those, they do sound good. Glad to see you drop by.