Science Forums

Science is close-minded

freeztar

One thing I keep reminding myself though, is that these threads aren't just viewed by those that are posting to them. They are exposed to the world. And while those of us who have stuck around realize the repetitiveness of science/theology debates, new people keep coming here making the same old claims unaware of the fact that they've already been hashed out ad nauseum. So they continually have to be addressed.

It's also a war of attrition, and I refuse to concede my position because of some preference for laziness, or even a sense of frustration. You don't win wars by giving up, and this is very much a war.

That's the ONLY way that non-scientific hogwash is able to continue as long as it does... because it wears people down and those people eventually stop caring.

Don't stop caring. Keep the fire in your belly. It's simple. :)

I have tried to avoid sounding judgemental towards someone's faith, but sometimes that's what they hear when their deeply held beliefs are challenged or questioned.

Everyone knows that faith in the absence of evidence is really damned stupid.

Everybody knows that it doesn't matter how strongly someone believes in something if they are wrong or delusional.

I suggest it's time for everyone to grow a spine and say, "You know what? I don't really care if you're offended. It offends me how stupid you are for believing such ridiculous nonsense."

It's time to stop pussyfooting around, grow some balls, and take a stand when it comes to steering the proverbial rudder of our society's future maturation.

It's time to stop pussyfooting around, grow some balls, and take a stand when it comes to steering the proverbial rudder of our society's future maturation.

Pussyfooting....balls....future what? :)

Wait, are you saying I ain't got no balls?

That's it, I quit. ;)

It's also a war of attrition, and I refuse to concede my position because of some preference for laziness, or even a sense of frustration. You don't win wars by giving up, and this is very much a war.

That's the ONLY way that non-scientific hogwash is able to continue as long as it does... because it wears people down and those people eventually stop caring.

Don't stop caring. Keep the fire in your belly. It's simple. :)

Everybody knows that it doesn't matter how strongly someone believes in something if they are wrong or delusional.

I suggest it's time for everyone to grow a spine and say, "You know what? I don't really care if you're offended. It offends me how stupid you are for believing such ridiculous nonsense."

You are of course correct, it just gets so disheartening when you take the time to read books, get links, type out information, make intelligent arguments over and over again with the hope that you are really enlightening someone and then they shut you down with no more than "God said it, I believe it, and that's final" It makes you want to slap the **** out of them, figuratively of course!

lol... just a little straight talk texas style. :shade:

Well, it looks like everything is bigger in Texas, including your mouths. :hihi:

Anyway, it's easier for you to take that approach. You don't have the moniker REASON like I do. Your's is InfiniteNow, which represents *Unlimited Impatience.* :hihi:

Anyway, it's easier for you to take that approach. You don't have the moniker REASON like I do. Your's is InfiniteNow, which represents *Unlimited Impatience.* :hihi:

Ah... Dilly of a pickle you're in there, eh? Perhaps Tormod would be so kind to change it for you... something like "Season." That's always good. Or, ooh... I know... even better... just add a T and call yourself Treason!

Strangely, I see my approach as infinitely reasonable, but I suppose reason is, indeed, subjective. :hihi:

Carpe iam... :shade:

Don't stop caring. Keep the fire in your belly. It's simple. :hihi:

There is no shortage of I.Q, points or knowledge of science among the Moderators I can attest to that. What I like is a spirited debate to sharpen my wits, writing skills and general scientific knowledge, So I say, bring it.

You cannot always be nice, but I have seen this passion to defend science and occasionly an ego, blind the Some mods that form into alliances to back each other up and lose site of the subject at hand, then the discussion turns into kicking the crap out of someone utilizing unfair tactics. I have seen time and time again Mods that will misrepresent a posters position , the next mod will come in and utilize the misrepresented position to make an attack on your logic. Then give you bad rep points for making a claim that was never made. If a mod really has balls, he or she would not need to resort to these types of gang tactics he would not need three other mods helping him to debate one person.

If you want to show me how much balls you have debate me one to one once in a while.:shade:

I guess it's really the role of the Mods to recognize when discussions get off track

:hihi:

and and while I think the Mods here are good at that, they invariably are accused of being closed-minded for shutting the door on someone's argument

:shade:

or claim that is unfounded, or beside the point of the discussion at hand.

and i thought we were just here to look good :hihi:

Ok, if my balls grew by a 1/10 of a millimeter every time i got into a discussion with a religious person about their comment on some perfectly scientific stance, my balls right now, would be world record size; and i'd need two semis to transport them.

Don't take my comments as pussyfooting, they are more of a call to reason (hehe), I've done a lot of bashing, and i am not going to stop doing it, infact, perhaps we should start a thread to forward people to when they make a religious comment out of the context of the thread, that will cover most of the things they say and talk about... I'll start writing something up, and open-source article to send people to answer their most common questions, regarding this forum and religion.

reason is, indeed, subjective

yeah, i see him participating in all sorts of discussions as well (hehe)

You are of course correct, it just gets so disheartening when you take the time to read books, get links, type out information, make intelligent arguments over and over again with the hope that you are really enlightening someone and then they shut you down with no more than "God said it, I believe it, and that's final" It makes you want to slap the **** out of them, figuratively of course!

no no no, that's not how it goes, you want to slap the **** out of them figuratively when they make the first comment, you want to slap the **** out of them physically, by the end of the discussion, though :(

But yes, i feel that very same frustration. You take time to read the Koran and Bible, and the new testament and so forth, and you recite passages from all of the above, then add in some Gilgamesh, Poor Man of Nippur and other stories of the pre-biblical writings that seem to be reflected in the biblical stories, you gather what little evidence you have to show that the bible could not have possibly been written by god, and how it has changed with the changing times. You try to show what the original purpose of religion was, and still you hit a brick wall....the infamous "The Bible says that it was created by God, so your history is wrong..." crap...

Wait, where i was going with that though, while you take time to read the books they abide by, they take no time to read or understand the concepts that they are trying to refute. Like i had a guy ask me once "so if you believe in evolution, how come we don't see monkeys giving birth to humans today?" :(

Ok, off to start scribbling notes of what i want to put into this article FAQ for religious people article...

Ah... Dilly of a pickle you're in there, eh? Perhaps Tormod would be so kind to change it for you... something like "Season." That's always good. Or, ooh... I know... even better... just add a T and call yourself Treason!

:shade: That's alright, I'll go ahead and tough it out.

Strangely, I see my approach as infinitely reasonable, but I suppose reason is, indeed, subjective. :hihi:

Actually, I do too. And I agree with your sentiment. :hihi:

eh...er...Oh yea now I remember,

Why Are Moderators So Mean To Stupid People

I can't speak for all the staff (though each would likely state something very similar), but I try my best to treat *every* member here with kindness. :)

Now, back on topic, I did some googling for the phrase in the title of this thread and came upon some interesting links.

I particularly liked this one:

In Defence of Open-mindedness - Google Book Search