Science Forums

Why do UFO's spin?

paigetheoracle

Looking at the various reports and films of flying saucers, the question arises in my mind, why do some spin? There must be some advantage to it. I even remember film of a cylinder in Soviet airspace, that corkscrewed away, pursued by fighters (See gun rifling for the same effect with bullets i.e. spiralled chamber). We know from their antics that they have some anti-gravity mechanism that allows them to float in mid-air and various shots that seem to suggest short leap teleportation but nobody as far as I know has asked this obvious question or answered (correct me if I'm wrong). There was a question in The New Scientist's Last Word column about why a bicycle is hard to balance and keep upright when stationary but requires little effort when moving. An engineer from some university came up with a really ludicrously complex and totally erroneous answer in my opinion, missing out the simple fact that forward momentum cancels out gravity as long as you are centrally balanced. The same thing is true with spinning tops, balanced on a point - the pull of gravity is equalized all the way around as long as there is momentum driving the top forward, keeping it in place. This point is easily demonstrated by rolling a coin along the ground - as momentum fades gravity starts to pull it to one side in a spiral as we see with liquids (3-D version of this): See books by various authors on Viktor Schaubergers work for follow ups to this. Gyroscopes come into this as well, not only as glorified spinning tops but because of work by people like Eric Laithwaite and other engineers that pinpointed how this spinning motion could be utilized by flying saucers, even if only accidently by inspiring people like me in the UFO field.

:)

One would assume that any species capable of overcoming gravity with their "antigravity devices", would not be in any need of such mundane things as gyroscopic stabilisers.

Nope, the only reason that UFO's in popular media are spinning, is the same as why the "Greys" look like they do. The first artist who came up with his own personal view of what it should look like, the first artist to put his imagination to paper/celluloid, basically dictated to the generations of artists to follow in his wake what a UFO or an alien should look like. If you want to get your message accross quickly, and you depict an alien spaceship as anything other but the commonplace spinning-top thingy, then fewer people will understand what you're on about. Also, if you depict an alien in a popular art media as anything but a "Grey", then people will think you drew a picture of a cucumber with eyeballs, or an octopus with a death ray gun, or whatever, but they will not think of them as aliens!

Popular culture is a nasty thing, and it also limits what we can and can't do, creatively speaking, to an unexpectedly large degree.

But there's no particular scientific reason why their spacecraft will spin. It just looks cool to have all those bright shiny lights flash all over, I guess.

::friday:Because one to many drunks whilst driving home excessively bombed mistook the Gravitron at the local fair as a flying saucer...besides when you're bombed everything spins::eswirl

:)

UFO's spin for the same reason that unicorns dance.

UFOs spin to cause erections in leprechauns? Wow. I swear, you learn something new every day. ;):):eek:

Hmm, spin, OK, I can think of at least one reason to spin a disk shaped craft. If you propel it from a point source somewhere near the middle of the craft then spin would affect it like a Frisbee and allow the entire craft to be accelerated at once by a force that would just cause it to tumble uncontrollably if the craft wasn't spinning. Of course you would have to make some assumptions, like the existence of spinning disk shaped alien space craft just to start with:hyper:

Dancing unicorns have that effect on leprechauns too?:)

Obviously the majority of people replying to this thread have little or no interest in the subject and haven't studied the subject in any depth. With this in mind I suggest you all go and immerse yourself in H2O, to discover the truth behind USV's (Unidentified Submersible Vehicles)*

* In other words go and stick your head in a bucket!:rockon:

I have only seen one UFO it was a very large round disk and it was getting dark. This happen in 1983 where four of us going to Raleigh,NC for a meeting the next day. We were riding on a eight lane highway when this UFO came across the road it was about 300yd high and about 400yd out in front of us before we could get stop. All we could say at the time was look like I said it was large and cover the whole highways I could see the outer shell moving around while the lights stood still while the outside turn. It was moving slow for a few minutes and then it went straight up at a very high speed.We all thought it would be on the local news the next morning but this was 1983 and it was hard for us four to believe what we had seen so it was not on the News. Now why dose a UFO spins it has to be some kind of gravity Field that is one the reason the earth spin.;)

wddycus

Obviously the majority of people replying to this thread have little or no interest in the subject and haven't studied the subject in any depth. With this in mind I suggest you all go and immerse yourself in H2O, to discover the truth behind USV's (Unidentified Submersible Vehicles)*

* In other words go and stick your head in a bucket!;)

Be nice Paige, I happen to be very interested in UFOs but making the assumption they all spin or even that some of them spin is not very accurate. Spinning is a trait associated with only a small number of craft. Even the disk shape is not part of all or even most sightings. Many are cigar shaped triangle shaped but most are random lights and glowing globe shapes that don't conform to the spinning disk at all.

I saw one in cleveland....But it was just a realllly cool gas station (spinning lights and all):eek: looked alot like the ship from "the day the earth stood still")

Only saw one one other time but I'm pretty sure it doesn't count as I was drunk, messed up on some really good Red and a to remain unspecified hallucinogen.

Now I have seen plenty of U.S.V.'s. You see all sorts of bizzare things in the water here!

I believe I put my information on the wrong blog I thought I was talking to people who had a open mind for knowledge but now I realize I am in a blog that love to put down their fellow person this is what you get a buzz out of you. I bid you a good day I will let you continue to talking to your selfs because this is the only person who will listen.

I believe I put my information on the wrong blog I thought I was talking to people who had a open mind for knowledge but now I realize I am in a blog that love to put down their fellow person this is what you get a buzz out of you. I bid you a good day I will let you continue to talking to your selfs because this is the only person who will listen.

If you were expecting everyone here to be true believers in UFOs you are correct. I have been following/studying UFOs most of my life. I have never seen one but I've seen some impressive photos and films made before photo shopping that really beg an explanation. I think i posed in another thread that at least on sighting was made by a crew of a B-52 bomber that carries "Death from Above" and their sighting was confirmed by ground witnesses, radar, another aircraft and by the crew of the bomber and it was seen for several minutes. If these guys were hallucinating then not only does the Air force have a problem that needs to be investigated the people on the ground have a few jars that have fallen off the shelf as well. But this sighting is still not proof of alien visitation just evidence of something really odd that should be investigated. So you will find few true believers here but I am sure you will find people with minds open enough to listen and critique any available evidence in an open way. Your sighting is very interesting but it rests on only your word, no corroborating witnesses, no photos, no radar reports, just your word. While I am sure you are a very truthful man, put yourself in others shoes. If I told you I had seen a unicorn would you immediately believe me or would you want some proof other than my word? (by the way I really have seen a unicorn, no one has asked for any evidence nor have they questioned me either, kind of disappointing really, but it's how it goes when you make odd claims)

Wddycus - you make an interesting point about the Earth spinning, which I hadn't thought of as for the rest of the crew making fun of us experiencers - that's par for the course here I'm afraid and pretty much so for the rest of the world (See my other UFO thread that covers the subject of SEP's (Somebody Else's Problem) for why this might be). You might also like to look up Jenny Randles 'Oz factor' for high weirdness on this subject. Are UFO's real? You bet, we've seen them. Are the people in this forum real? Well I haven't seen any of them - have you?

Are UFO's real? You bet, we've seen them.

Seeing something does not necessarily make it real. What looks like an oasis in the dessert may be a mirage.

Are the people in this forum real? Well I haven't seen any of them - have you?

I have. Furthermore, you could test to see if the people in this forum are real. You could get their addresses, go to their house, and talk with them. We can't say the same for UFOs.

Moontanman and Paigetheoracle I want to thank ya ll for a honest and open statement from both of you that is all I ask for is for somebody just to have a honest conversation between people about all kinds of different sup jests and still be nice to each other even though we might not agree with each other.We could get so much done in this world if we just try and be nice for a change.If you have never seen a UFO you might be incline not believe but let me clear up something a UFO is that I could not identified the object in front of me that dose not mean it is from another world but I have never seen this before. I have never seen it again but in some UFO pictures I have saw. Thank You for given me this opportunity to tell you how I fell.