Science Forums

Pothead discovers worlds largest impact crater

DUDE! Please!

You sound like someone who has not looked at the evidence.

http://www.bigfatpothead.com/craters.kmz

that link is my places file from google earth.

if you will take a minute to install Google earth and load my file, then after you have examined the evidence, I would appreciate any critical comments.

As far as this object that I believe hit the earth, I think it was "Freakin' HUGE"

I'm talking 18 to 25 miles across. Impact craters that are elongated are very common and they are caused by the angular strike of slower moving objects.

You can see these in the Carolina Bays, which I believe is part of this big event. If you take my theory and look at the path of destruction I call the skid mark, follow it to the center point in Marshall Alabama, then assume this object exploded and threw ejecta into the air. This ejecta will go high in the air then come down and shower an area very heavily with large boulders which leave impact craters of their own. I believe that a lot of Impact craters that have been discovered in the US are actually fallout from the massive strike in Alabama. If you go do a little research with my places file you will become either a believer or not. At least do the research before you jump all over my theory.

Because anyone who looks will find that there are THOUSANDS of craters all over those 3 states.

Thanks

The huge semi circle on the map you provided is very intriguing. If it's not an artifact of the imaging process then I would like to see it explained but it's age would have to be much older by orders of magnitude than the lakes you are talking about. Not to mention the Carolina bays are orientated in the wrong direction to be made by this crater.

DUDE! Please!

You sound like someone who has not looked at the evidence.

http://www.bigfatpothead.com/craters.kmz

that link is my places file from google earth.

if you will take a minute to install Google earth and load my file, then after you have examined the evidence, I would appreciate any critical comments.

I have downloaded Google Earth - about 4 years ago when it was Keyhole. I often evaluate potential impact craters and a few have actually been found using GE. I have examined your kmz file evidence and it still marks only one stock pond in NE Texas far to the east of the Carolina Bays. See my initial post in this thread and/or link to the thread in GEC forum for the complete chain of evidence.

As far as this object that I believe hit the earth, I think it was "Freakin' HUGE"

I'm talking 18 to 25 miles across. Impact craters that are elongated are very common and they are caused by the angular strike of slower moving objects.

You can see these in the Carolina Bays, which I believe is part of this big event. If you take my theory and look at the path of destruction I call the skid mark, follow it to the center point in Marshall Alabama, then assume this object exploded and threw ejecta into the air. This ejecta will go high in the air then come down and shower an area very heavily with large boulders which leave impact craters of their own. I believe that a lot of Impact craters that have been discovered in the US are actually fallout from the massive strike in Alabama. If you go do a little research with my places file you will become either a believer or not. At least do the research before you jump all over my theory.

Because anyone who looks will find that there are THOUSANDS of craters all over those 3 states.

Thanks

The geological evidence to support a massive hit where your screen shots indicate does not hold up. Have you read the links, including the geologic map of Alabama, that I have provided? The light area which you point out as the "Center Point" is lighter colored imagery from Europa Technologies - nothing more.

Maybe you need to upgrade your google earth, 4 year old versions may not read the file I posted. My file has a ton of impact craters placemarked, not just one. they exist in a pattern that is consistent with an impact in the area I have suggested.

here is what it looks like from way up

http://www.bigfatpothead.com/earth/8.jpg

I have downloaded Google Earth - about 4 years ago when it was Keyhole. I often evaluate potential impact craters and a few have actually been found using GE. I have examined your kmz file evidence and it still marks only one stock pond in NE Texas far to the east of the Carolina Bays. See my initial post in this thread and/or link to the thread in GEC forum for the complete chain of evidence.

The geological evidence to support a massive hit where your screen shots indicate does not hold up. Have you read the links, including the geologic map of Alabama, that I have provided? The light area which you point out as the "Center Point" is lighter colored imagery from Europa Technologies - nothing more.

Maybe you need to upgrade your google earth, 4 year old versions may not read the file I posted. My file has a ton of impact craters placemarked, not just one. they exist in a pattern that is consistent with an impact in the area I have suggested.

If I may, maybe you need to consider who you are talking to. ;) Hill is a longtime Moderator at GoogleEarh Community, and as such is intimately familiar with the workings of GoogleEarth. You aren't the first to think you have found the 'big one', nor will you be the last. If you have a real interest in the topic and discovering how much you are right and how much wrong, then by all means take the time to read the links we have offered and accept some guidance of those who have gone before you.

Gettin' all puffy with tons of kill, ain't gonna fly very high here. :) (We do luv it however at PostMagnet - Index :eek: ) :D

I also tried your file and there was one placemark as hill described. My GE is recent. The picture above is not what loaded for me via the kmz.

Is it possible that you linked to the wrong file?

The National USGS Elevation Map appears to be somewhat contradictory. The impact site you've indicated seems to be near or at the highest point in Alabama. I would expect an impression there. The semi-circle type feature you've marked looks to be the lowest elevation through Alabama and Mississippi. I would expect some remnant of a crater rim there composed of relative highland instead of regional lowland. IMO the elevations in Alabama and Mississippi do not support an impact theory to explain these features.

The National USGS Elevation Map appears to be somewhat contradictory. The impact site you've indicated seems to be near or at the highest point in Alabama. I would expect an impression there. The semi-circle type feature you've marked looks to be the lowest elevation through Alabama and Mississippi. I would expect some remnant of a crater rim there composed of relative highland instead of regional lowland. IMO the elevations in Alabama and Mississippi do not support an impact theory to explain these features.

You havew to admit it's an unusual looking place. Maybe it's an ancient colasped caldera? A billion years or so should be about right! Time for it to have been uplifted unevenly but still retain part of it's shape, Wow, it would have been a huge eruption!

You havew to admit it's an unusual looking place. Maybe it's an ancient colasped caldera? A billion years or so should be about right! Time for it to have been uplifted unevenly but still retain part of it's shape, Wow, it would have been a huge eruption!

Oh, now you're encouraging him. :)

There may be some validity to this point. Years ago I remember hearing these kinds of thoughts on how Lake Superior (its depression) came to be, only it was described as a collapsed ancient lava flow/mountain range or something along these lines. I dont know if this was resolved.

Based on the topography mapping C1ay referenced, I'm beginning to think this is similar to seeing "faces on Mars."

If today's advanced topography mapping techniques can uncover a massive crater estimated to be approximately 65 million years old off the Yucatan Peninsula, beneath the Gulf of Mexico, and theorized to have been the remnant of a collision that rendered the dinosaurs extinct, how could a blatent impact crater across the Southeastern United States manage to get overlooked except for by an addmitted pothead zoning out on Google Earth?

The Man in the Moon is imaginary.

Based on the topography mapping C1ay referenced, I'm beginning to think this is similar to seeing "faces on Mars."

If today's advanced topography mapping techniques can uncover a massive crater estimated to be approximately 65 million years old off the Yucatan Peninsula, beneath the Gulf of Mexico, and theorized to have been the remnant of a collision that rendered the dinosaurs extinct, how could a blatent impact crater across the Southeastern United States manage to get overlooked except for by an addmitted pothead zoning out on Google Earth?

The Man in the Moon is imaginary.

And yet GE users have discovered craters.

NASA - In Search of Crater Chains

Google Earth Blog: New Crater Discovery Using Google Earth?

Encouraging enough for you?

NASA - In Search of Crater Chains

Google Earth Blog: New Crater Discovery Using Google Earth?

Encouraging enough for you?

Actually yes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it can't be done, Google Earth is a great tool, and I definitely don't have anything against potheads based on personal experience.

Its just in this instance the topography does not appear indicative of an angular impact, and considering its prominent location, would likely have been detected long ago if it did, IMHO. But at a glance, I could see how it might appear as the remnant of an impact due to the curved region.

[img=http://erg.usgs.gov/isb/pubs/factsheets/fs10602.graphics/usa.jpg]http://erg.usgs.gov/isb/pubs/factsheets/fs10602.graphics/usa.jpg[/img]

The National Map - Elevation, Fact Sheet 106-02 (November 2002)

But don't let me burst anyone's bubble. Collect more data, develop a theory, submit a paper, write a book. That's what it's all about with science, right?

Bah

Science is scientific and seeking evidence.

But evidence is mocked before trial.

Shame shame shame.

I have discovered a shipwreck with google earth, no, I'm not sharing.

To seek evidence one first needs to know the landscape.

Geological investigation is not for the uninformed. You cannot expect to make a major geological discovery simply by going on the net and looking at maps. I have made discoveries where I live... of a volcanic pipe and a mineral deposits and a new mineral serpentine to the state. I did it though field research with 5 geologist,, renting heavy equipment, ordering maps though the state, stocking shelves with expensive out of print books, all the information that you cannot get on line. Examined drill tailings and hiking my *** off. I have seen others that do the same sort of geological investigations such as turtle and people I know first hand in my rock&gem club. I know that you do these things also with stream ecology, do you think you can understand stream ecology without getting your feet wet. I can only assume that you have not done geological investigation or prospecting. Take my word when I tell you geology is study intensive. You live great area for rock hounding. do you have a rock hound club where you live?

There is nothing wrong with using GE to locate visual features that warrant further investigation. One should not leap to any conclusions though that are based on visual features alone. Additional investigation is required before claims are made as to the cause of those features.

To seek evidence one first needs to know the landscape.

Geological investigation is not for the uninformed. You cannot expect to make a major geological discovery simply by going on the net and looking at maps. I have made discoveries where I live... of a volcanic pipe and a mineral deposits and a new mineral serpentine to the state. I did it though field research with 5 geologist,, renting heavy equipment, ordering maps though the state, stocking shelves with expensive out of print books, all the information that you cannot get on line. Examined drill tailings and hiking my *** off. I have seen others that do the same sort of geological investigations such as turtle and people I know first hand in my rock&gem club. I know that you do these things also with stream ecology, do you think you can understand stream ecology without getting your feet wet. I can only assume that you have not done geological investigation or prospecting. Take my word when I tell you geology is study intensive. You live great area for rock hounding. do you have a rock hound club where you live?

You are oh so correct, there is nothing like getting your feet wet either figuratively or really wet. I can remember when I was in my rockhound phase. I was hiking all over the area of west virginia where I lived. I'll never forget the first fossil I dug out of a hillside or the first quartze crystal I found. Nothing beats being there. That is one reason I am so pro space travel. No machine will ever be the same as human feet on the ground. GE is obviously a great guide to find an interesting place to scour in person.