Science Forums

Pothead discovers worlds largest impact crater

shalom everyone!

... As an interesting side-topic:

Has anyone been to "Crater-National-Monument" in Arizona ??

I was there! I saw it!

It's about 40,000 years old, roughly a kilometer wide in diameter, and about a third of a klm. deep ! ... i didn't go down into it, but i walked along its perimeter.

I was so impressed and awe-insipred,... that when i was leaving on the only access road in and out, (hhmm/hmmm/hmmm), i wasn't paying attention,... &

i slamed into a "speed-limit-sign" and it flew over the top of my car !

(... no, of course i didn't report it. ... are u on drugs ?!?)

... If i recall, it was in the spring of '87 ...

Simcha.

Ahhh, so you're the one who did that, please send your address so we can come and pick you up in an orderly manner :phones:

hi !, Moontanman,

... i was just reading an article by: "thecyclotronkids.com" , when i saw your message ... My-GOD! and in the name of the one who maintains his throne!

i thought that I had a respectable simple understanding of particle-physics, space/ time-dilation, etc. ... NO I DO NOT.

These high-school-kids are ,... are , i mean/ .. i mean i don't /// no! wait!

you dont///i mean you wouldnt.....i meant : would not//////

... no, Simcha, YOU DON'T.

... They are building A HOME-MADE CYCLOTRON for a school science project/// i meant science-fair//...// for the last year and a half !! ....///// if //// if you don't, un/////what i meant to say is I Dont //// i mean: I DO !

... UHH NO, simcha. just: 'undo' ..........

(my ratings on "Yahoo-Chess" are never above: 1200.)

..... Sim, neither is your monthly-rent

hi !, Moontanman,

... i was just reading an article by: "thecyclotronkids.com" , when i saw your message ... My-GOD! and in the name of the one who maintains his throne!

i thought that I had a respectable simple understanding of particle-physics, space/ time-dilation, etc. ... NO I DO NOT.

These high-school-kids are ,... are , i mean/ .. i mean i don't /// no! wait!

you dont///i mean you wouldnt.....i meant : would not//////

... no, Simcha, YOU DON'T.

... They are building A HOME-MADE CYCLOTRON for a school science project/// i meant science-fair//...// for the last year and a half !! ....///// if //// if you don't, un/////what i meant to say is I Dont //// i mean: I DO !

... UHH NO, simcha. just: 'undo' ..........

(my ratings on "Yahoo-Chess" are never above: 1200.)

..... Sim, neither is your monthly-rent

Simcha, dude, throttle back on the coffee, ten gallons a day is over the limit! :)

Were you over, or under, the Speed (car-not head)Sign limit when you took it out? :phones:

I have been to no national parks in the USA (a lot horticultural/botanical ones though!)

Impact craters seem to be bobbing up everywhere when you decide to look

My system is not up to google earthing yet

But you guys might like to look at these too:-

OZ craters:-

Gosses Bluff Meteorite Impact Crater - NT

Gosses Bluff Meteorite Impact Crater NT @ ExplorOz

Rough Oz map here:-

http://home.alphalink.com.au/~dannj/craters.htm

News

Massive impact crater found in Scotland

Monday, 31 March 2008

by Anna Canale-Parola

Cosmos Online

Related articles

* Aussie finds meteorite crater on Google Earth

* New tool to find hidden meteorite craters

* Meteor craters may hold untapped wealth

* Meteor mega-hit spawned Australian continent: researchers

* Up to 200 made ill by 'fumes' from meteor

SYDNEY: Evidence of a half-kilometre-wide meteorite, which struck Earth 1.2 billion years ago, has been discovered near the town of Ullapool in Scotland.

Massive impact crater found in Scotland | COSMOS magazine

On the shape of craters:-

Are impact craters always circular? - Ask an Expert (ABC Science)

"Occasionally you see craters that are elongated and sometimes you see canyons that have been excavated by incoming meteorites.

"You even see lines of multi-ringed craters as if something has bounced over the surface, says Watson.

The South Pole-Aitken basin on the Moon is a good example of an elliptical crater. And some scientists argue that a rock the size of Pluto whacked into Mars causing a huge elliptical crater on the planet's north face.

Closer to home there is an unconfirmed theory that Lake Cheko, in Siberia, may be an elliptical crater caused by the fallout of the 1908 Tunguska event.

"But most craters are circular," says Watson.

Meteors as extinction events:-

Asteroid and Comet Impact Craters and Mass Extinctions

shalom everyone!

... As an interesting side-topic:

Has anyone been to "Crater-National-Monument" in Arizona ??

I was there! I saw it!

It's about 40,000 years old, roughly a kilometer wide in diameter, and about a third of a klm. deep ! ... i didn't go down into it, but i walked along its perimeter.

I was so impressed and awe-insipred,... that when i was leaving on the only access road in and out, (hhmm/hmmm/hmmm), i wasn't paying attention,... &

i slamed into a "speed-limit-sign" and it flew over the top of my car !

(... no, of course i didn't report it. ... are u on drugs ?!?)

... If i recall, it was in the spring of '87 ...

Simcha.

Yes, I also saw it to in the l980s. I've also seen Crater Lake and Yosemity. I've seen Krakatoa in Sumatra and looked down into a volcano in Java. I saw into the big one on Hawaii from a heliocoptor I sure get around, don't I? I also backed into a mail box and post on Chesapeak Peninsula and broke it. . .

Have you tried Google Maps? You can view satellite imaged terrain without google earth.

~modest

Thanks modest that is great!

Pity I cant get a URL to show you where I live- or can I?

given my location I should be a Global Warming Denialist.

There are a lot in the area!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Central+coast+NSW+Australia&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=1.07612,1.656189&ie=UTF8&ll=-33.274574,151.477432&spn=0.140935,0.207024&t=h&z=12&iwloc=addr

• 3 years later...

Ronnie,

I have seen this on the weather map every day for years, and this is one of the few things on the web about it. It certainly is perfectly round but only a partial circle. Could this be the source of the iron in the Birmingham area? I agree it could be a low angle impact, or the mountains could have happened after the impact and obscured the northeaster portion of the crater ring. The links on your post seem to have expired. Thanks for making me feel like I'm not alone in the world anymore! LOL