Science Forums

Help!!!!!

NOBODY SHOULD EVER USE IE OF ANY PURPOSE OTHER THAN INSTALLING WINDOWS UPDATES MANUALLY FROM MICROSOFT WEBSITE!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Use Firefox as the web browser of choice and you wont have adware and spyware to start with, let me give you an example:

My laptop, the thing that I'm typing this message with has been running with no adware removal or detection tools, no antivirus software and just a firewall for over 12 months now, constantly on the internet, borwsing and so forth. Well about a month ago i decided to check whether there were any viruses or spyware on my machine, after doing an online scan, there was one harmless virus found on my PC that i disconnected a few days before from msconfig.

As to removal tools, I tend to recommend what Tormod recommends when anyone asks me, so please follow the flow and download Lavasofts ad-aware SE, run it once, detect and delete all the entries, install Firefox and use it from that day on forever!

(Sorry for screaming, thought that will help to get my point through...)

NOBODY SHOULD EVER USE IE OF ANY PURPOSE OTHER THAN INSTALLING WINDOWS UPDATES MANUALLY FROM MICROSOFT WEBSITE!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

(Sorry for screaming, thought that will help to get my point through...)

Well, if you do online banking, you're stuck too. Most online banking sites are hardwired to IE. Fortunately however, they are not usually sources of spyware infections. Always try Firefox first, but don't delete IE just yet (you can! in spite of what MS has said!). Use the option to make it your default browser instead of IE....Only use IE when a site you *have* to use says "sorry charlie." If you don't *have* to use those IE-only sites, take your business elsewhere. (did I get all this right alexander?)

But don't get me started about standards. I've got a couple of programmers who say we shouldn't bother to make our program work with IE, even though it still has 90% market share. It *shouldn't* but unfortunately it does, making it easy for the banks to tell their Mac users: "sorry, but you can do your banking elsewhere"... (alexander: you have my blessings to rant on this topic too, but lets open another thread for it!)

Cheers,

Buffy

That seems unforunitet Tormod. I personal knew very little about "other" browsers, so i was "suck" with IE. *Sigh* and i fell victom to the Bad Spyware...stuff...LOL I have yet to run into a program or site that is required to have IE though, I must say i don't do banking of any sort over the web, becasue 1) i am too young, and 2) I have connections with fraud investigators that makes me a little paranoid to do that. Too much threat. Any ways, Highly recamend the browser switch! :D

Op5