Science Forums

Science = God

goku

i got the feeling that a lot of people think that science is the reason that we enjoy the modern life today.

i implied earlier that scientists may be less than perfect and one person was affended, honestly affended i believe.

i think that for some people science is their god, maybe even perfect.

what are other people's thoughts on this?

i got the feeling that a lot of people think that science is the reason that we enjoy the modern life today.

i implied earlier that scientists may be less than perfect and one person was affended, honestly affended i believe.

what are other people's thoughts on this?[/quote

i think the n00b scientist will tell you to define God, while the intermediate Scientists knows that science is not 100% and is totally over explaining that when people challenged and the advanced scientists knows that the psychology of the mind is relevant to the science of God.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, science can be your god depending on how you define god...but rain can be your god too just as a mountain. Simply because there is not a absolute definition of god.

But if you want to define god as perfect I think there are very few scientists who see science as god.

Personally I do not need to replace god with anything since so far god only seems an invention of mankind to me. And yes, it is thanks to science that we enjoy our modern life, but this doesn't make science a god, science is also something completely human developped.

• 3 weeks later...

Science and religion are orthogonal,

(physical reality) - (empirical reality) = faith

Faith is destroyed if it works. If you have faith you can only be denied. Test of faith! What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. Hindus have 36 crores of gods - 360 million deities. How is India doing?

In the whole of human history across the entire planet not one deity has volunteered Novocain or pi to five decimal places. Those are telling omissions. Can God make a collection plate so vast that even He cannot fill it? Sure! ALL OF THEM.

In the Eastern Orthodox Christian Church - the one without the schisms, homosexual pedophiles, and gaudy Rolex watches - *everybody* goes to Heaven without exception or delay. Those who embraced God forever luxuriate in the infinite radiance of His inconceivable love. Those who denied God burn in it. Everything else is footnotes and Accounts Receivable. Every priest says, "Hodie mihi, cras tibi". Only a fool believes in post-mortem escrow closing. Live your own life, for you will assuredly die your own death.

Science is the endeavour to understand All Things.

And God is All Things minus Science, that which has not yet been Scientifically Explained or Described.

Say the totality of knowledge is defined as being 100.

And let's say that Science currently understand 10% of that, i.e. 10.

That means God is the Unknown, the remaining 90%.

And Science eats into the Unknown at an ever-accellerating pace.

Next year this time, God will be 89, Science will be 11. The year after that, God will be 88, Science 12. And so on.

So, let God be G, and Science be S, and the Totality of Possible Knowledge be K. Then, God is simply expressed as:

G = K-S

Unfortunately for Science, nobody knows what K is. I don't think Scientists will realise the fact when K has been reached.

Most likely, Science is the asymptotic approach towards K. Which means it will never be reached. Which means that although G will become smaller and smaller, it will never disappear. God will always be around as a handy explanation for the tiny part of reality not yet described by Science.

But if you take All Possible Knowledge, and subtract Science from it, what you have left, the difference between the two, is also called Ignorance. And if you prefer another term for it, like "God", by all means, do.

I wanted to criticize you while reading the post by pointing out that you assume a linear relation of increasing knowledge per year and a converging one (in 90 years)....but further on you say too that it probably converges only assymptotically.

I lik this way of seeing things.

Science is the endeavour to understand All Things.

Really:shrug:

There is spiritual understanding, the intuitive/creative, along with the rational deductive reason of knowledge, which science is only a fraction of.

There is the appreciation of beauty of nature and art .

There is personal growth, maturity, compassion, which is no more than the ability to see though someone perspective.

There is the inward explorations of are own subconscious's. There is the study of our collective subconscious's. . When these paths are taken without given any one more importance than the other and all are cultivated and in balanced within our memory, then we should be in the highest state of understanding a human can possibly attain which is... Awe.

It is impossible to reach your suggested hypotesis, if it was then we would know everything already. How can you claim their is an end when you can't even identify the beginning or tell how much remains to reach this end. "Exisitance" is a cycle that has a singularity within it center, which energizes the cycle. Hense, God is this singularity, He giveth and He taketh away. Its how we use what we got in the present that expands our infinitly grow knowledge, and only with respect for the creator of knowledge this can be acheived.

what are other people's thoughts on this?

Humm, the most applicable definition of scientist is "a person who uses observation, experimentation and theory to learn about a subject".

With that being said I don't understand how any scientist can argue that they are less then perfect. If they were pefect they wouldn't have to learn about a subject anymore and therefore would not be a scientist anymore. They would know it all, commonly refered to, by the way, as :Know it all's"

;)