Science Forums

Nanny state cause found!

paigetheoracle

I believe the nanny state in Britain is actually the sociological equivalent of taking the pledge ('Never Again!') or reacting to a hangover. I think it a reaction to/ suppression of our baser instincts and the results thereof: Snobbery, self-disgust - cutting off from our history/ actions in shame and saying 'That's not me/ I didn't do that!'

It is putting on a superior morale air, to hide our own shame and make others look helpless and inferior, compared to us. It is saying 'You need looking after by us because you (our baser instincts) can't be trusted or relied upon. It is trying to stamp out everything seen as bad in our society, reducing it to a bland, soulless monster (Nobody does anything bad because nobody does anything, period). You're not expected to try or you'll make others jealous, so even the brightest blends into the background as there is no reward for effort. Instead we are left with a society that interferes in the smallest detail, trying to be politically correct but that abandons the big problems of society to their fate because nobody in Government wants to look like the bad guy and address the rot that has set in.

Rule Britannia, then step under the line:doh:

I am going to have to ask for an explanation of the term "nanny state"...

It is a derogatory term applied in Britain, to The Welfare State. It means looking after somebody from cradle to grave, in a way that doesn't allow them to be independent (grown up/ make their own decisions).

It comes from the upper classes employing a woman to look after their children, so that they don't have to: A nursemaid.

Hope this answers your question?

Not so much an argument but an observation/ insight (maybe better put on a blogsite than here? At least I started to think that until you mentioned Clockwork Orange: State interference of the kind 'We know what is best for you', also displayed in Patrick McGoohans 'The Prisoner' TV series).

Support is one thing but smothering and suppression is another. I didn't used to believe much in conspiracy theories until recently as I couldn't see any motive in suppressing what was good for the whole but now I can. It's down to what you see in nature programs about dominance and maintaining the status quo as well as The Emperors New Clothes Syndrome as its intellectual equivalent - i.e. maintaining the lie at all costs to avoid looking foolish/ ignorant

Missing Maggie, eh?

"If it is once again one against forty-eight, then I am very sorry for the forty-eight."

"I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end."

Bad habit of mine, playing with lighters. I'll probably start a fire one day, :)

Buffy

Hi paigetheoracle,

Support is one thing but smothering and suppression is another.

Yes we have had a similar change recently with regards to charitable organisations being recruited by the government to provide unemployment and support services while also losing their right to criticise the government without losing their funding.

It's a bit like a higher level version of we pay you so don't be ungrateful. While this may be acceptable business terms for a corporation it really serves to take the charitable out of charitable organisations.

(Ok les see if I can get this all the way posted without lrashing again)

The present state of affairs here across the pond, there and in numerous other countries is your fault, my fault and everyone elses fault!

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? It's your fault, my fault and everyone elses fault!

Yup we're all to blame!

Why?

Pure stupidity! We gave up "common sence"...I repeat "common sence is dead. Why worry about thinking for yourself when the govt. is so eager to do all the thinking for you.

Joining "common sence" on the endangered list is "accountability".

Why take responcibility for your own existence when you can simply place it on somebody elses shoulders.

Ok so you totaled your ride because you were to busy yammmering on your cell to pay attention to driving...No big deal it's not YOUR fault...

cars should be fitted with a warning light and buzzer that warns you when you're about to collide with things in front of you...It should be a law that cars have it. F.U.!!!!! It should! You should remove head from anal orrifice and pay fkn attention to what you're doing!!!!!!

The above is an example of why things are going as they are going bellow... more.

Why the F### do you need a warning sticker on your lawn mower to warn you not to stick your appendages under there when it's running?!?

The truth is you don't unless you have an I.Q. of 3...It cuts this is what you got it for...If you need a sticker to warn you against very obviuosly stupid actions you should be barred by law from purchasing anything any more dangerous than crayons. But no instead lobbyist demand that there be laws to protect consumers from their own stupidity!!! I've often thought it might be a good Idea to implement a law much like those pertaining to motor vehicles requiring completing a test as to common sence and powertool safety

to get a licence to purchase any object which used inappropriately can cause lasting harm or death.

Or better yet make suing impossible if the injury or death was easilly forseable by anyone with a reasonable amount of sence and not the result of a catastrophic failure of a component.

There has been a growing concensus that it's the govt.'s job to force manufacturers to "idiot proof" their products. Which almost always makes the product unable to perform it's duties as well as it could if it were made without all of the safe guards.

Ex. The brake presses where I work have "light curtains". These stop the machine if anything thicker than a preset thickness is inserted into the jaws (like a hand)...Ok that's great ...until you're doing compound bends and the machine decides to shut down right in the middle of a bend...now you gotta restart the machine>re-enter the bend parameters>pray that you can accurately "eyeball" exactly where the part needs to be > Bypass the "curtain" (and pray that the shop saftey officer doesn't catch you)>retry the bend>inspect the part>scrap the part because the Q.C. officer says it's out of spec.>start over.

Why... because people couldn't be bothered with paying attention to what they were doing and lost hands and fingers.

Pick your issue and you'll find at it's root persons that rather than take responcibility for their own actions eagerly pointed the blame elsewhere and then insisted that the govt. should force everyone else to be more responcible for the public's saftey. This in turn lead to the govt. actually believing that it's job is to protect persons not from external threats but themselves.

I hate to tell you this but looking at the the 10-25 crowd it's only going to get worse. Raised on Disney and Nikalodien with little or no parental influence they have no concept of consequences for their actions and therefore no "common sence". Nor do they seem to have the foggiest idea of how "the real world" functions.

Brace yourself friend it's all downhill from here!

(Ok les see if I can get this all the way posted without lrashing again)

The present state of affairs here across the pond, there and in numerous other countries is your fault, my fault and everyone elses fault!

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? It's your fault, my fault and everyone elses fault!

Yup we're all to blame!

Why?

Pure stupidity! We gave up "common sence"...I repeat "common sence is dead. Why worry about thinking for yourself when the govt. is so eager to do all the thinking for you.

Joining "common sence" on the endangered list is "accountability".

Why take responcibility for your own existence when you can simply place it on somebody elses shoulders.

Ok so you totaled your ride because you were to busy yammmering on your cell to pay attention to driving...No big deal it's not YOUR fault...

cars should be fitted with a warning light and buzzer that warns you when you're about to collide with things in front of you...It should be a law that cars have it. F.U.!!!!! It should! You should remove head from anal orrifice and pay fkn attention to what you're doing!!!!!!

The above is an example of why things are going as they are going bellow... more.

Why the F### do you need a warning sticker on your lawn mower to warn you not to stick your appendages under there when it's running?!?

The truth is you don't unless you have an I.Q. of 3...It cuts this is what you got it for...If you need a sticker to warn you against very obviuosly stupid actions you should be barred by law from purchasing anything any more dangerous than crayons. But no instead lobbyist demand that there be laws to protect consumers from their own stupidity!!! I've often thought it might be a good Idea to implement a law much like those pertaining to motor vehicles requiring completing a test as to common sence and powertool safety

to get a licence to purchase any object which used inappropriately can cause lasting harm or death.

Or better yet make suing impossible if the injury or death was easilly forseable by anyone with a reasonable amount of sence and not the result of a catastrophic failure of a component.

There has been a growing concensus that it's the govt.'s job to force manufacturers to "idiot proof" their products. Which almost always makes the product unable to perform it's duties as well as it could if it were made without all of the safe guards.

Ex. The brake presses where I work have "light curtains". These stop the machine if anything thicker than a preset thickness is inserted into the jaws (like a hand)...Ok that's great ...until you're doing compound bends and the machine decides to shut down right in the middle of a bend...now you gotta restart the machine>re-enter the bend parameters>pray that you can accurately "eyeball" exactly where the part needs to be > Bypass the "curtain" (and pray that the shop saftey officer doesn't catch you)>retry the bend>inspect the part>scrap the part because the Q.C. officer says it's out of spec.>start over.

Why... because people couldn't be bothered with paying attention to what they were doing and lost hands and fingers.

Pick your issue and you'll find at it's root persons that rather than take responcibility for their own actions eagerly pointed the blame elsewhere and then insisted that the govt. should force everyone else to be more responcible for the public's saftey. This in turn lead to the govt. actually believing that it's job is to protect persons not from external threats but themselves.

I hate to tell you this but looking at the the 10-25 crowd it's only going to get worse. Raised on Disney and Nikalodien with little or no parental influence they have no concept of consequences for their actions and therefore no "common sence". Nor do they seem to have the foggiest idea of how "the real world" functions.

Brace yourself friend it's all downhill from here!

Afraid I have to agree - stupidity rules okay! (I don't exist, so it must your fault all this happens to me - by the way please change my diapers, while your down their fixing my life: What are you looking at me for, I can't do it! (Not trained or paid enough to look after myself, for Christ's sake!)

Missing Maggie, eh?

"If it is once again one against forty-eight, then I am very sorry for the forty-eight."

"I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end."

Bad habit of mine, playing with lighters. I'll probably start a fire one day, :rolleyes:

Buffy

Missing Maggie? Like a pain in the neck! I never had any interest in politics until she came along as it didn't seem to matter who was in power but she proved what a little vindictiveness could do in the right hands. 'fraid you got me wrong Buff! (No nudes is good nudes)