Science Forums

Bunny, hunny?

IrishEyes

This is a spin-off of another topic, where Fish and drak are talking about cruelty to animals. I just had to share this link... Anybody hear about the kid that cooked up some rabbit for his class at school? It was supposed to be something that he hunted in the wild. Read the link to find out the rest of the story... YUCK! Of course, I still had to tease a friend of mine that was truly disgusted. Seriously, is there a difference between this and that big juicy t-bone? *I* don't really think so, but I enjoy the t-bone all the same...

http://www.cleveland.com/search/index.ssf?/base/isedu/110631570312460.xml?isedu

Pet store animals cooked in school

Student prepares Guinea pig, rabbit

Friday, January 21, 2005

John Horton

Plain Dealer Reporter

Thompson Township - A Guinea pig and rabbit purchased from a Geauga County pet store ended up on plates at Ledgemont High School.

A 16-year-old student skinned and cooked the animals during a living skills class on Wednesday, prompting student and parent complaints to the Thompson Township Police Department and Geauga Humane Society. Officials at both agencies said they are investigating.

click the link for the complete text... :)

I knew a zoology professor at UT that every semester had is "Dead Animal Party" in which he tried to have students bring as many species of animal prepared to eat. I provided a few rats that I had, because I worked in the Knoxville Zoo's Herp. Dept and had raised them for feeders of the reptiles, to one of his students. She made rat mcnuggets..

I could never bring myself to harm any living creature(not including microbes, etc.), but i believe in fair game.

if you want to be able to kill animals, you shold not be able to rule out humans.

and if you kill for food, dont let any part of that animal go to waste. If nothing else, fertilize youre garden with it. (and if you dont have one, plant a tree or somethin)

If you want honesty, ill eat anything if its cooked right, but my nature does not permit me to kill.

...Kind of a hypocracy, i guess...

as much as i find ted nugent offensive as a personality i do believe that there is alot of evidence to suggest that hunting one's own dinner, depending on what and where you are hunting of course, can be far more healthy than a supermarket diet. myself i might have a hard time killing more human-looking animals but i am reticent to say it is out of favor with the gods. human beings are omnivores (correct me if i am wrong here) and though probably scavengers by nature, tools have given humans preditory skills. so why not use them?

OK, I think I have finaly found an instance when killing another person would be acceptable. For consumption if no other food source were available. Maybe a mixtue of Alive and The Most Dangerous Game.

Maybe I just read Stranger in a Strange Land to too young an age, but I have always thought that having my body recycled by having my friends eat me would be a fine way to go..In the truest sense I would live on as part of them.

Right now my daughter is extremely fond of cows (she's 9, I'm hoping its just a phase). She also loves burgers, so I've had to convince her that those burgers are made of buffalo, or horse, and somehow that makes it okay....

When I was going to Berzerkeley, the coop I lived in had "wine dinners" and one of them had food that was exclusively insectoid. The vegetarians in the house were even more livid than they usually were about this cruelty to animals. :) Go figure...

(spoiler) "Soylent Green is people!"

Cheers,

Buffy

Am I strange in not finding what the student did to be wrong, except in lying about where he got the animals? He killed, and ate an animal, I eat animals all the time, and have no problem knowing that they were killed. It is natural for us to kill, it is natural for prey, which is what any animal that we kill for food is, to die.

Am I strange in not finding what the student did to be wrong, except in lying about where he got the animals? He killed, and ate an animal, I eat animals all the time, and have no problem knowing that they were killed. It is natural for us to kill, it is natural for prey, which is what any animal that we kill for food is, to die.

I dont think so at all. Its nature.

How would you feel about human?

Another GREAT flick is 'ravenous'. Anyone see it?

if not, i highly recommend.:)

Side note, ever have ostrich burgers?

<yummy>

Side note, ever have ostrich burgers?

<yummy>

I don't know about burgers, but about 6 or 7 years ago, Ostrich was all the rage and lots of folks went broke investing in Ostrich farming. I remember going to a chic restaurant in NY at the time and a friend of my date was the waiter. He said "Don't order the ostrich, its really tough, if you want to try it, I'll get you some." He brought us an appetizer of it, and sure enough it was like chewing on a piece of leather. No wonder you can't find it any more (ground up, who knows, the taste wasn't too bad, it was the "mouth feel" that was the problem....)

It wasnt cooked right.

You cant cook it the same as beef which was everyones mistake. (of course, noone thought of that and gave up)

If done right, they had a little different texture but could be just as moist and delicious, and wasnt much different in toughness.

There was a resturaunt in New Hope, PA that made excellent ones 4 a little while.:)

That's exactly what I said to my firend. She was not moved in any way towards my POV though...

Initially, I thought it was quite disgusting. But when I thought about it a bit more, it became funny. Then I thought how resourceful that young person was, what a great keeper of his word, to say he'd bring rabbit and do it no matter the cost... Then it just seemed silly that people were so outraged about a rabbit and a guinea pig... yeah, it's a bit twisted in a sense, but no more so than any of the other things that happen in this country on a daily basis...

just looked at the link. pretty damn macabe if you ask me. i can understand the negative reactions of parents. some people (myself included) like to question the validity of moral objection to this kind of incident, but from what is written it does seem more than a little bit tactless and so irresponsible of the teacher. not animal cruelty, just bad manners.

but from what is written it does seem more than a little bit tactless and so irresponsible of the teacher.

Which part seems tactless, that the teacher said "sure, cook us up some rabbit"; or that the teacher let the student field dress the furry bunny right there in the classroom?

If it's the second part, I can see your point. If it's the first, I guess I don't. No different than picking up catfish, chicken breasts, or any other animal that was raised to NOT live in the wild...

the first part as well as the second. i don't know what kind of school this is but personally there is a connection in the minds of many children between pets and playfulness as opposed to butchery so the idea that the teacher did not make the student aware that his actions were inappropriate but instead dismissed offended students away as if there was something wrong with them (in a child's mind i can see a logic to this type of reaction) and go on with the cooking of animals sold with the intention of being pets seems questionable to me. but hey, that's me.