Science Forums

Bunny, hunny?

IrishEyes

There is nothing more morally wrong with it than there is with us eating beef - which the Hindu's consider sacred. Or eating cat, often done by, I think, Koreans. The distinction between pet and food is invented by the mind, and something that comes, I think, from the urbanization of our culture. I had a teacher who grew up with the amish - he wasn't amish, but he was in such close proximity to them that he grew up like them, to the point of having no electricity, no indoor plumbing and such. He was disgusted by how distant people are from death, and how their views on it show that. He wasn't bothered by the death of an animal because he'd grown up knowing that if he wanted to eat, it had to die, and there wasn't anything morally wrong with it.

i can understand someone being upset at the fact that some children are sheltered from death and such but this doesn't mean they [the children] should be the victims of forced reconditioning or forced awareness. if little jonie's parents raised her to see white rabbits as pets and little jonny's parents raised him to see them as yet another potential food source these are differences that, if they need to be worked out at all, should be done delicately. i don't think a classroom is the appropriate place for some kind of crass intervention of possibly stiffling views.

Well, I used to be vegetarian, the reason: how tha animals were treated (industrial style). Now I eat agian meat, even if very seldom in US standards (that means less than once a week), but just the one I know tha animals had a normal life until they were slaughtered and that most of their rest don't get wasted.

Anyway my point of view is that if you eat meat you eat all with no distinction of which animal it comes from. You can still not eat it for other reasons (ie. I wouldn't eat dog in china because they usually are beaten to dead), but I can see no moral difference between eating a pet animal and another, you still kill to eat.

And Buffy, Soylent Green is a great film, you are the first person I "met" that has seen it as well.

There is nothing more morally wrong with it than there is with us eating beef - which the Hindu's consider sacred. Or eating cat, often done by, I think, Koreans. The distinction between pet and food is invented by the mind, and something that comes, I think, from the urbanization of our culture. I had a teacher who grew up with the amish - he wasn't amish, but he was in such close proximity to them that he grew up like them, to the point of having no electricity, no indoor plumbing and such. He was disgusted by how distant people are from death, and how their views on it show that. He wasn't bothered by the death of an animal because he'd grown up knowing that if he wanted to eat, it had to die, and there wasn't anything morally wrong with it.

I agree, although, instead of it being urbanization, do you think it could have more to do with the domestication and personification of animals?

*Since i was little, ive always wondered what soylent green tasted like.

.... if little jonie's parents raised her to see white rabbits as pets and little jonny's parents raised him to see them as yet another potential food source these are differences that, if they need to be worked out at all, should be done delicately. i don't think a classroom is the appropriate place for some kind of crass intervention of possibly stiffling views.

I definitely see this as being one of the more significant problems that would arise within this issue.

As with most 'learned beliefs', it can be highly influencial and usually damaging on a psychological level to have them uprooted abruptly, especially at certain mental ages.

*Since i was little, ive always wondered what soylent green tasted like.

I guess just like a fast food hamburger, soylent probably is so full of artificial aromas that it will have the taste the producers wanted it to have, as I said just like the burgers...