Science Forums

Thermal heating in CPU

yes, that generally means that your computer is overheating?

problem can be in great many places there, generally a thermal event is caused when one of the thermal sensors, either in your CPU or your GPU, detects a temperature that is dangerously high for normal operating conditions and shuts down your machine, so it would not cause hardware any harm. Therefore, youare either looking at your processor or your graphics card for this one, since i can say with like 95% certainty that it's your proc, follow the following.

First: check the fans, make sure they are running, if not then there's your prolem

Second: go to your local computer hardware store, ask for thermal grease, thermal compound, heat paste, thermal paste or heatsink compound, any one of these will weild you a little tube filled with a silicon grease that transfers heat from your processor to the heat sink, while you are there might also want to grab some alcohol wipe pads (trust me those things are nifty) Then go home, pop off the lid on your machine, take the heatsink off the processor, generally you'd want to pop out the processor as well, dont touch the pins and look carefully at how the processor was positioned in it's slot. then use one of those alcohol wipe pads thingies to wipe off the thermal paste on the processor, then the heat sink (do not put water on either one), let both dry, pop the proc back into it's respected slot (PAY REALLY CAREFUL ATTENTION, YOUR PROC IS MISSING A PIN ON ONE SIDE, MAKE SURE THAT THAT MISSING PIN MATCHES THE MISSING PIN WHOLE IN IT'S SOCKET), apply a generous amount of paste to the midle of the processor (you can follow this guide: How To Correctly Apply Thermal Grease | Hardware Secrets ), put the heatsink/fan assembly back in it's propper position ans secure it the same way it was secured before. Finally see if the thernal events return.

At this point if your system is still shutting down due to thermal events, then up proc is shot and you should replace it.... but give us some feedback first :)

Is this a laptop or a desktop?

Before you do anything inside the computer, make sure you unplug it and hold down the power button for a few seconds to discharge the caps. Use a grounding bracelet or simply touch your hands to metal before putting your hands in the case. You don't want to short the motherboard with static electricity!

Before trying Alex's suggestions above, I would check for dust build-up. When I was fixing computers, this was the case 90% of the time.

Check the following places for dust:

*rear fan port(s) (or side fan port if it a laptop)

*all fans

*heatsink fins

*intake ports

If you find dust that is impeding the passage of air anywhere in the case, then clean the dust out carefully and try starting it again. I don't recommend those dust spray cans as they have a tendency to discharge some liquid and you don't want liquid in your case. Also they have a tendency to blow fans backwards and ruin the bearings. Instead, use a dry, lint-free cloth to collect most of the dust and then you can use q-tips with alcohol to get the harder to reach places. (let the alcohol dry/evaporate completely before starting up computer)

If dusting does not work, then try Alex's suggestions. If none of that works, post your results and one of us will help you from there. :)

Before you do anything inside the computer, make sure you unplug it and hold down the power button for a few seconds to discharge the caps. Use a grounding bracelet or simply touch your hands to metal before putting your hands in the case. You don't want to short the motherboard with static electricity!

never used a static bracelet, but i never wear any sweatshirts while working on a system, and i always, before reaching in and touching anything ground myself out on the case.... also i never unplug the power cord, (always make sure the machine is not powered), so i can always ground myself to ground... well and generally don't stick my fingers in places they don't belong (yeah i know how wrong that just sounded).

Throughout my years of fixing hardware, dust does account for perhaps 40-50% or hardware problems, fans for maybe 5-6%, hard drives about 10%, motherboard and processor combined maybe 1-2%, ram 10-50%, and user errors or tech (the so proclaimed guys at the local repair shops, friends of customers family, etc) stupidity for the rest (leaves 5-10% or so)

Check the following places for dust:

*rear fan port(s) (or side fan port if it a laptop)

*all fans

funny he said that, i also recall saying

First: check the fans

Wink, wink, that kind of tells you how oftenly that happens to be the issue, mohit...

As to your other question:

One more thing , websites are like http://www.google.com But hypography is hypography.com/forums.

Where is world wide web(www)?

.com or .net or some of the others are the "Top-Level Domains" (AKA "TLDs").

The next part of the name after the first dot from the right along with the TLD is the "domain name" and that's what you "own" when you have one.

What comes after the next dot to the left of the domain name is your "sub-domain" which can map onto a "sub-net" but really you simply publish via your hosting company or your DNS provider what these sub-domain names are, and what IP addresses they map onto. You can have your e-mail server be "mail.example.com" and your webserver be "www.example.com", and these are the most popular sub-domain names, but they can be anything you want them to be. In the case of Hypography, "www.hypography.com" takes you to the main entry point for the Hypography website, while "hypography.com/forums" takes you directly to the discussion forums inside the site. These sites do not have to be overlapping, and they can be in entirely different locations: its entirely up to you!

Note that some hosting providers will have limits on what you can do, and if you want to do anything complicated you might have to change hosting providers or see if they let you use an alternate DNS service.

The heat was hot and the ground was dry, but the air was full of sound, :)

Buffy

oh i forgot about that part of the question... oopsie.

Domain Name

there can be multiple levels of domain names: Top level being name.code such as hypography.com, example.org, example.us, example.info....

then you can have as many little lower level domains as you want. generally they point to services or places on your server:

hypography.com/forums - points to the forums folder on the server

Example Web Page - points to the web service on the example server

ftp.example.com - points to an ftp server, other examples would include ntp,smb,krb whatever, there's many.

you can have many lower level domains as well, if we wanted to, we could have cs.physscief.hypography.com/forums, that could point to computer science under physical scienceforums of forums on the hypography server.... there is a limit, and mostly people try to stick with 1 or lower 2 levels, but spammers can go crazy with like a dozen or so..... there must be a limit to the total amount of levels a domain may have, but at this current moment it's just not coming to me, if i had to guess, 255, but i may be wrong, read the wiki article!

Thank you for all. Wonderful! :turtle:

1.As for the suggestion of Alexander and Freeztar , I have already followed the two steps. The change is that the frequency of this problem has decreased. But hasn't reached the level of no-problem. Sometimes while working, I face blank screen suddenly and find that cabinet is restarting. Any solutions?

( cabinet -conatiner that contains CPU. I read somewhere that there is difference between CPU and the thing where it is stored. What do you call that container? Is it a cabinet?)

2.I have now understood the Hypograhy website's domain.

Uhm... Yes. Your CPU is the little chippie-thingy on your motherboard, the big green flat thing inside your computer. It's housed in the case. But that depends where you're from. Some people will call it the "box", some the "CPU" (which is wrong - the CPU is housed in it), or the Chest of a Thousand Tortures. It really depends where you're from.

I'm not going to be nasty or anything, but judging by your comments, I'd really recommend you go to a computer shop, and let them check it out. (At your own peril, of course - 99% of the time the idjits at the computer stores are just that: Idjits. At least they give a warranty on their work. Or should, at least. That's the only reason it's not a bad idea to take your hardware there. They break it, they take it!)

If you've applied all the solutions above, and de-dusted everything, and applied heat paste, etc., I'd really suggest you check out your power supply. An often-ignored issue, if your power supply ain't up to snuff, your processor might crash. Added any additional hard drives, or additional USB devices recently? I've had a funny on my machine a while ago: If I plug in my external USB harddrive, my network card dies. Event Viewer told me that there simply ain't enough juice to run my rig. Popped in a new Power Supply, problem solved.

Checkit out, let us know...

Some people will call it the "box", some the "CPU"

i call the box the box, because it is that, and the processor the CPU, because it is that, i hate when people call the whole box the CPU, because it is demeaning for the other parts of the box. It's like this, CPU is the Central Processing Unix, but the box does a lot more then just processing, memory and hard drive are data storage units, then there is the graphics card, which houses a GPU, then there's the PSU, then there are buses, schedulers and all kinds of other units, which are technically not a part of the central processing core, infact the only 2 parts that should be considered to be called the CPU is the processor, and it's inherit immediate motherboard infrastructure.

B, yes the Power Supply could be an issue, but judging by what he said, he said it was a thermal event that was causing it, so if he dedusted everything and applied propper amount of thermal paste and all, it would almost self-suggest that his proc may be going bad too (maybe from overheating so much)

dunno if it's free, but i would suggest runing some sort of hardware monitor software, and some sort of performance testing app that will run some hardware intensive test monitoring software, dunno if it's free or not SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

performance test, maybe run a trial of PassMark PerformanceTest - PC benchmark software

B, yes the Power Supply could be an issue, but judging by what he said, he said it was a thermal event that was causing it, so if he dedusted everything and applied propper amount of thermal paste and all, it would almost self-suggest that his proc may be going bad too (maybe from overheating so much)

Just two days ago, my computer failed to start.:rolleyes: After trying for some time, it finally started. If my proc. is not working properly, then how it is working right now while I am writing.

I wonder how can it be so. It should not work at all.:rolleyes:

Why it is failing to start some time?

Just two days ago, my computer failed to start.:rolleyes: After trying for some time, it finally started. If my proc. is not working properly, then how it is working right now while I am writing.

I wonder how can it be so. It should not work at all.:rolleyes:

Why it is failing to start some time?

I had the same thing happen about 3 years ago and it went on for months...slowly getting worse. One day it did not start at all and when I took it apart for diagnostics, I found the motherboard to be bad. Depending on your mother board, you should have an on-board system of diagnostics such as POST beep codes and LED lights. It might be worth checking into that.

ooh, ooh, open up your system and check the capacitors on your mobo (look like little barrles on your mobo)

Make sure none of them are popped (i.e. bulging out).... sometimes a good way to see if your mobo is dying.... and it can cause those kinds of random issues.... oh and another thing, if it failed to start cold, then chances are it's not the proc, if it shut down and then didnt want to start, then it could be the thermal sensor....

Freeztar--I had the same thing happen about 3 years ago and it went on for months...slowly getting worse. One day it did not start at all and when I took it apart for diagnostics, I found the motherboard to be bad. Depending on your mother board, you should have an on-board system of diagnostics such as POST beep codes and LED lights. It might be worth checking into that.

What did you do with your motherboard? Do you suggest buying a new one?

Now ,speed of my computer is increasingly becoming slow. It is becoming the home of problems. Does defragmentation help in it? I have some video files loaded on it but I have enough space on my harddisk. Do I need to delete it?

What did you do with your motherboard? Do you suggest buying a new one?

I tossed mine. A motherboard is a big expense, so I'd make sure that's your problem first before buying a new one.

Now ,speed of my computer is increasingly becoming slow. It is becoming the home of problems. Does defragmentation help in it? I have some video files loaded on it but I have enough space on my harddisk. Do I need to delete it?

It doesn't seem like your harddrive is the problem. But in general, it is good to defragment every few months at least and you should maintain at least 10% of your disk space free (15% is better). So if you have a 80GB drive, you should leave about 8-12GB free.

you might also just not have enough cooling in your system. I hope your Central Processing UNIT has it's own personal fan, and also that you aren't just relying on your power supply's fan to move all the hot air in your cabinet/box/chassis out. I highly recommend adding a few extras to the back of the chassis blowing out if it doesn't already have them.

Unfortunately I predict bad things for your computer, as once those type of cascading failures start and aren't fixed right away you have likely started to damage the system. It still works (a bit) because "all" transistor logic circuits work with a 1/5 (20%, or +/-10%) error tolerance built into them, but excessive heat fatigue can start pushing the components to start behaving at the extremes of those tolerances, when they exceed them you start getting a bunch of small errors that slow you down (must reload file checksum invalid) or just straight freeze you out(fatal error).

I suggest you start saving for a new PC (or at least a new mobo-/proc/ram & video if on board isn't good enough for you), cause fixing this one might just amount to the same thing. Add some cheap $5 "muffin" fans to the back of the box to keep it alive while you save and prepare it to keep the next beast from suffering the same problems.

• 3 weeks later...
My computer now starts after pressing the on button at least 3 times. Is it safe to continue using it as I believe GAHD is correct or it would aggravate the problem?;)

If heat is indeed the issue, then yes, the problem will be aggravated.

P.S- Who is the owner of this wonderful Hypography website?

That would be Tormod. ;)