Science Forums

New forum: Architecture

Architecture: if and where?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Architecture: if and where?

• No. No architecture forum.
    • Yes. Put it in humanities.
    • Yes. Put it in physical sciences as its own forum.
    • Yes. Put it in physical sciences as a subforum to engineering.

Do you think it would be possible/feasible to add a dedicated "Architecture" forum to Hypography?

I realize that we have the Engineering/Applied Science forum, but I was thinking that an Architecture forum could be a more concrete disscusion ground away from all the other non-architecture related topics currently present there.

I've been browsing some architecture forums recently, and they have some pretty eye-opening statistics (like 202 people viewing one subforum at any given time:eek_big:), and I think that we might be able to draw a lot of people to hypography based on this one little niche alone.

Just trying to play off of my own interests... as well as the interests of Hypography's future.

MB

I don't think it qualifies as physical sciences either... which brings up the concern: where to put it?

Is it physical? Ehh... :shrug:

Is it a social sciences? kinda... but no more than it is "physical".

Is it humanities? No.

Is it science news? No.

Is it member articles and papers? No.

Is it general topics? I would say it's pretty general; even though it doesn't fit with the other topics under "general".

Is it language? No.

Is it special? I think it's pretty special.

Is it community? I suppose it could be.

What do other people think?

Though it touches strongly on structural, material, and civil engineering, Architecture’s an artistic discipline, more akin, IMHO, to sculpture than physics. Examine high schools and small colleges with architecture departments, and they’re more often than not physically, organizationally, and culturally in the fine arts division than in the math/science.

Most good modern architects can draw well, appreciate art and history, and can talk convincingly and compellingly about aesthetics. They’re often pretty poor at engineering. They employ, and are often at great tension with, engineers, they’re job being, to some degree, to want what is untested, unsound, and unwise, and bully engineers into making it otherwise. Some of the most famous works of architecture are both profoundly innovative and profound engineering failures – Falling Water, for example.

So maybe it belongs in the Humanities Forums?

I can’t think of any hypographer who’s an architect – rather the point, I think, or Mercedes’s “build it, and they will come” proposal. Perhaps we should float it in the suggestion forums, and see what local expertise and enthusiasm we have that I don’t know of?

Though it touches strongly on structural, material, and civil engineering, Architecture’s an artistic discipline, more akin, IMHO, to sculpture than physics. Examine high schools and small colleges with architecture departments, and they’re more often than not physically, organizationally, and culturally in the fine arts division than in the math/science.

Most good modern architects can draw well, appreciate art and history, and can talk convincingly and compellingly about aesthetics. They’re often pretty poor at engineering. They employ, and are often at great tension with, engineers, they’re job being, to some degree, to want what is untested, unsound, and unwise, and bully engineers into making it otherwise. Some of the most famous works of architecture are both profoundly innovative and profound engineering failures – Falling Water, for example.

So maybe it belongs in the Humanities Forums?

I must admit that I am also leaning towards humanities.... even though, as I said, it doesn't exactly qualify as humanities under the current standards of that forum category.

And, yes, it is more of an art than a science. The science is generally saved for the engineers that make the architect's dream work.

I can’t think of any hypographer who’s an architect – rather the point, I think, or Mercedes’s “build it, and they will come” proposal. Perhaps we should float it in the suggestion forums, and see what local expertise and enthusiasm we have that I don’t know of?

Yeah... I can't think of any practiced architects here. I know that in my thread "Beautiful Architecture" there weren't really any architects who replied, just fellow Hypography enthusiasts.

I was thinking Humanities too, for all the reasons stated above.

The other one though is that at this stage, I don't like making the site too "vertical" so you have to convince me it needs to be at the third level (if it was a sub-forum of the Engineering sub-forum)...

I think its pretty, who cares if its impossible to build, :confused:

Buffy

Hmm, I'm all for it, being a tradesman myself. I'd vote for physical sciences, simply because it does interact with engineering and there's not much more physical than something you can walk on/in.

It even cross references with computer science thanks to C.A.D. programs, and law thanks to civil building codes.

Okay. So should we vote? You can just post your responses here unless someone wants to edit this thread to include a poll.

Options:

1. No. No architecture forum.

2. Yes. Put it in humanities.

3. Yes. Put it in physical sciences as its own forum.

4. Yes. Put it in physical sciences as a subforum to engineering.

I vote for 2.

Since I'm not much interested in this subject I can't write a nice description to this forum and an introductory sticky. But I can create forum, so if someone (=mercedes?) writes here the description and the introductory sticky I'll create it...

Okay. I'll work on something today. If anyone else wants anything to be included, just post it here.