Science Forums

New Food Labels

Racoon

But, did Mike's friend make the exact same complaint as a "concerned citizen"? I mean, how many of these have a GCG in there lab and and are able to say how much chlorinated hydrocarbons it contains? I remember an episode years ago here in Italy, Can't remember exactly when, maybe early '80s. A TV program for consumers' rights denounced that a well-known brand of fishsticks appeared positive for tetracycline by a quite simple test. Immediately next morning a judge issued an ordinance to seize the product in commerce, nationwide and there was a great hoo-haa about the maker. Only during the next few days it was made clear that the simple chemical test was by no means reliable for positive result, the product actually had no tetracycline in it.

Much Ado About Nothing... :rolleyes:

Why use an analogy (and not a very good one) when theres plenty of facts to rely on?

The intent of the post was to show just how quickly each food product would become flooded with information. What was being described was adding more information to already small labels, and I was suggesting that doing so would decrease already small font and also increase perceptual noise on products. I suggest that this would make many people in the populace look past the information, more than they do already. Of course there are members here on Hypo who would not only read the extra information, but do something with it. I am only calling this out as I anticipate further attacks because you don't like me or my method of communicating my intuitions.

Forgive me for trying to be humorous and suggest that we'd have to begin adding user manuals to our cans of soup. The ultimate point was, "hey, this is a good idea, but let's make it better."

Geesh... everybody's a critic. :cup:

Carars

Not a bad idea' date=' but it should be expanded to include all products so a consumer can choose to avoid products produced in countries that they have doubts about quality, moral issues with, boycott interests in, ect. instead of relying on a gov recall.

Consumers should be able to make informed decisions on any product they purchase.[/Quote']

I agree with you I want too know,

Yes, Yes I do, I want to know when I Grab my 75lb(US) bag of dog food just what's in it, (IE Red Dye #9, or Chicken parts US) I think we have such information, hell this should be free and right at your finger tips, finger tips Hmm.that reminds me you could have all the information on a personal USB Drive http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5_gci869057,00.htmlthis would information like no trans fats, low salt, "No Bad wheat glutton" from China, Now you got all your personal preferences right on your key chain ( I have one of these jump drives carry everywhere up it for CAD files, tow book I'm reading, some photos) when you go to the store your shopping cart has a built in PC right there ( saw this on beyond tomorrow)

just plug in your jump drive, now your set, this would scan, price and keep a running total watch your diet, tell you got Bad wheat glutton from China in that stuff And I can here you out there, HOW, HOW is going to know this well part of the information you gave it with that jump drive that part about

Sorry about that I hit a wrong button, :cup:

Look like I didn't spell check ether.:turtle: :clue:

Me

gave it with that jump drive that part about [/Quote]

the Bad wheat glutton from China the shopping cart is Set to update every night (Welcome to the twentieth century) ;)

InfiniteNow

I' date=' too, like the idea Doug. Use the bar code to get instant information on any product. Let's continue the thought and determine how we might manage the data brought up with each product.[/Quote']

well first off, a ingredients list is created at the processing plant and printed on the package ( the bar code) now I know that the inspectors take samples (It might take two week to Analise and put up those red flags) but he knows the the batch numbers ( in the bar code) RED FLAGS FLY hits the INTERNET and the shopping carts are updated and when I scan the bag of dog/cat food I know that there RED FLAGS FLYING.

So' date=' you scan your bag of cat food, and programmed into the bar code it indicates that it has gluten from the Hunan province of China, one of the factories there recently was found to be shipping dangerous gluten.[/Quote']

yes!

How is that data about that factory tied to that bag of cat food in your hand at Target? Who does this' date=' and what is the oversight to ensure it's done right?[/Quote']

through batch codes (they do it this way now but there not giving us this info) and bar codes (they use this also, to what extent I don't know)

Maybe I'm getting too far ahead. Sorry. I liked your idea and wanted to explore it more.[/Quote]

I like it ask me more. :cup: :turtle:

The intent of the post was to show just how quickly each food product would become flooded with information. What was being described was adding more information to already small labels, and I was suggesting that doing so would decrease already small font and also increase perceptual noise on products. I suggest that this would make many people in the populace look past the information, more than they do already. Of course there are members here on Hypo who would not only read the extra information, but do something with it.

So what if it adds more info?

So what if people make a choice not to read the added information?

At least they have the option to ignore the info, rather than the situation now of 'no clue'.

They make handy peel off sticker things to attach coupons to items, not a big problem to convert the use to product origin info. Then they wont even have to change the label itself, they can stick the info to the top of the can.

Sample label info taken from actual label. Bold areas are my addition and made up for this post only and are not actual countries of origin:

Chicken stock (USA)

Enriched egg noodles (wheat flour, egg solids, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid) (China)

Cooked chicken meat (USA)

carrots (Mexico)

Chicken fat (China)

water (Canada)

Heres the rest of the ingredients label:

Contains less than 1% of:

Lower sodium natural sea salt actually on the can this way

Potassium chloride Potassium chloride - Wiki

potato starch

High fructose corn syrup

onion powder

dehydrated cooked chicken

chicken flavor

disodium inosinate Wiki

disodium guanylate Wiki

Milk solids

dehydrated garlic

salt

modified food starch

spice extract

beta carotene for color

soy protein isolate

sodium phosphates

beef extract *Whats that doing in chicken noodle soup??**

ascorbic acid (added to help retain color) *actually on the can this way*

chicken flavor (contains chicken stock, chicken powder, chicken fat)

Knowing what I do about food manufacturing, at least some of the above is to protect from lawsuits should someone have an allergic reaction and claim it wasnt on the label.

*Note: Above product purchaced for a taste test comparison experiment. It failed. Nasty stuff. PM if you want to know exactly what product it is. It was also the most complex soup can in my house. Any product with noodles increased ingredient list greatly. That increase was marginal in Organic Chicken Noodle Soups.

Qfwfq

But' date=' did Mike's friend make the exact same complaint as a "concerned citizen"? I mean, how many of these have a GCG in there lab and and are able to say how much chlorinated hydrocarbons it contains? I remember an episode years ago here in Italy, Can't remember exactly when, maybe early '80s. A TV program for consumers' rights denounced that a well-known brand of fishsticks appeared positive for tetracycline by a quite simple test. Immediately next morning a judge issued an ordinance to seize the product in commerce, nationwide and there was a great hoo-haa about the maker. Only during the next few days it was made clear that the simple chemical test was by no means reliable for positive result, the product actually had no tetracycline in it.

Much Ado About Nothing... [/Quote']

we could use more inspectors, and probably better tools/technic's:shrug:

InfiniteNow

The intent of the post was to show just how quickly each food product would become flooded with information. What was being described was adding more information to already small labels' date=' and I was suggesting that doing so would decrease already small font and also increase perceptual noise on products. I suggest that this would make many people in the populace look past the information, more than they do already. Of course there are members here on Hypo who would not only read the extra information, but do something with it. I am only calling this out as I anticipate further attacks because you don't like me or my method of communicating my intuitions.

Forgive me for trying to be humorous and suggest that we'd have to begin adding user manuals to our cans of soup. The ultimate point was, "hey, this is a good idea, but let's make it better."

Geesh... everybody's a critic. [/Quote']

the only way this much information would be useful to me,

it would have to run in the background only showing me information that put my flags on. if I had to carry a user manuals to buy cans of soup.

:cup: can u picture that :clue: ;) you a funny Dude. :turtle:

I want to know when I Grab my 75lb(US) bag of dog food just what's in it, (IE Red Dye #9, or Chicken parts US) I think we have such information, hell this should be free and right at your finger tips, finger tips Hmm.that reminds me you could have all the information on a personal USB Drive http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5_gci869057,00.htmlthis would information like no trans fats, low salt, "No Bad wheat glutton" from China, Now you got all your personal preferences right on your key chain ( I have one of these jump drives carry everywhere up it for CAD files, tow book I'm reading, some photos) when you go to the store your shopping cart has a built in PC right there ( saw this on beyond tomorrow)

Brilliant! :turtle: Me likey. :)

What about having the link to your PDA? Or your cell phone? Haha... your iPhone.

just plug in your jump drive, now your set, this would scan, price and keep a running total watch your diet, tell you got Bad wheat glutton from China in that stuff And I can here you out there, HOW, HOW is going to know this well part of the information you gave it with that jump drive that part about

So, if we implement this as a United States law, a policy requirement, whatever... How do we get the countries of origin to provide the data we need to be successful with it? I cannot imagine every plant, every producer, in every country agreeing to such a policy, nor could the oversight ever be fully successful.

So, perhaps we do it all at the ports once the item has arrived? What if the product is perishable and there isn't time to add the "send to lab, run tests, upload product data or discard" step between unloading the boat and then trucking it to the manufacturing plant?

Perhaps we could accomplish the same thing by removing this whole RFID tag stuff and just inserting a required check of all food products at the port, BEFORE they're allowed into a) the manufacturing plant, or ;) the public market place? I suggest that this speaks well to an incredibly valid point Cedars has been making in so very many threads lately that perhaps we simply need to enforce existing laws better?

Also, remember China is a massive country. Saying that somewhere in China there is some bad wheat gluten is not specific enough. It would be like saying a plant somewhere in the US had bad wheat gluten. Well, where in the US? What state? What city? What county? Which farm? Which acre? Know what I mean?

The first page of your can of soup brochure explains that it's important to read the brochure and provides warnings that failure to do so could cause risk to your health or the health of your pets. :clue:

Insert piece A into slot 6 with hex screw J and screwdriver 1. Turn clockwise three degress with torque wrech 17 until 3 clicks are heard. Beee-yond-tooo-morr-ow!! :cup:

What was being described was adding more information to already small labels, and I was suggesting that doing so would decrease already small font and also increase perceptual noise on products. I suggest that this would make many people in the populace look past the information, more than they do already.

So what if it adds more info?

So what if people make a choice not to read the added information?

At least they have the option to ignore the info, rather than the situation now of 'no clue'.

Why yes, of course. As you have implied, I was certainly arguing against doing this whole thing and dismissing it as bollocks when I stated:

The ultimate point was, "hey, this is a good idea, but let's make it better."

Good grief. :) :) :oops:

Why yes, of course. As you have implied, I was certainly arguing against doing this whole thing and dismissing it as bollocks when I stated:

Good grief. :) :) :oops:

Once again you ignore the substance of the post to respond with, well, nothing of substance.

Once again you ignore the substance of the post to respond with, well, nothing of substance.

Did I kill your puppy or something? :)

I was responding to your attack on my post, the one where you misinterpreted my meaning. All I'm trying to do is to assist in generating more conversation on finding improved solutions. Yet, you continue to attack me, falling lock step with Turtle, and we are now derailing yet another thread because you attack my character and I am defending myself.

In sum, the "country of origin" label will do little increase the safety of the public.

I suggest that more information on food is a good thing, but that we should come up with a clearer and more consistent method for keeping this updated and useful to the reader.

I propose that many labels are already too littered with information, thus the perceptual noise they create is of more harm than benefit.

I contend that we can find a solution, and to do so we should keep this dialog going.

If you have a problem, PM me. Your attacks of each post I make and suggestion that I'm an idiot at every step are becoming boring, and were I a staff member I would infract you for them.

we could use more inspectors, and probably better tools/technic's:shrug:

This is the crux of the problem. And its not just in imports, its as big of a problem with foods that never leave the country.

Self policing only works when the cops arent on the take.

Did I kill your puppy or something? :)

I was responding to your attack on my post, the one where you misinterpreted my meaning. All I'm trying to do is to assist in generating more conversation on finding improved solutions. Yet, you continue to attack me, falling lock step with Turtle, and we are now derailing yet another thread because you attack my character and I am defending myself.

In sum, the "country of origin" label will do little increase the safety of the public.

I suggest that more information on food is a good thing, but that we should come up with a clearer and more consistent method for keeping this updated and useful to the reader.

I propose that many labels are already too littered with information, thus the perceptual noise they create is of more harm than benefit.

I contend that we can find a solution, and to do so we should keep this dialog going.

If you have a problem, PM me. Your attacks of each post I make and suggestion that I'm an idiot at every step are becoming boring, and were I a staff member I would infract you for them.

Then report me. Let the staff decide if my posts are inappropriate or are attacks as you allege.

InfiniteNow

Brilliant! Me likey.

What about having the link to your PDA? Or your cell phone? Haha... your iPhone.[/Quote]

anything with INTERNET connection. :cup:

How do we get the countries of origin to provide the data we need to be successful with it? I cannot imagine every plant' date=' every producer' date=' in every country agreeing to such a policy, nor could the oversight ever be fully successful.[/Quote'']

there is a system already in place that could expanded on and accessibly to the public FAIRS Country Reports Selector

FOOD AND AGRICULTURAL IMPORT REGULATIONS AND STANDARDS REPORT

Imports and avian (bird) flu

Sunday 17 June 2007

Following the outbreak of avian flu in a number of non-European Union (non-EU) countries' date=' poultry and poultry products from affected countries can not be imported to the UK and the rest of the EU. Poultry can include chicken, duck, goose, turkey and guinea fowl and so on.

Poultry products for human consumption from Asia Products from several Asian countries and Turkey Poultry products from Croatia Health certification Outbreak of avian flu in EU Member States [/Quote']

Food Standards Agency - Avian (bird) flu and imports

InfiniteNow

Perhaps we could accomplish the same thing by removing this whole RFID tag stuff and just inserting a required check of all food products at the port' date=' BEFORE they're allowed into a) the manufacturing plant, or :cup: the public market place? I suggest that this speaks well to an incredibly [b']valid point

Also, remember China is a massive country. Saying that somewhere in China there is some bad wheat gluten is not specific enough. It would be like saying a plant somewhere in the US had bad wheat gluten. Well, where in the US? What state? What city? What county? Which farm? Which acre? Know what I mean?[/Quote]

looks like a good thread now on my read list.;)

were working on it.:clock:

China's Food Import Standards Often Unclear, U.S. Officials Say

To increase U.S.-China cooperation on agricultural standards' date=' the United States has established an office in China to focus on strengthening ties with Chinese authorities, policy-makers and farm groups, the report said.

The United States has also increased its technical assistance to help China develop more consistent and science-based standards, Gale said.[/Quote']

the bottom line as

Cedars has been making in so very many threads lately that perhaps we simply need to enforce existing laws better?

Also' date=' remember China is a massive country. Saying that somewhere in China there is some bad wheat gluten is not specific enough. It would be like saying a plant somewhere in the US had bad wheat gluten. Well, where in the US? What state? What city? What county? Which farm? Which acre? Know what I mean?[/Quote']

yes I can relate to this, in the US I think we could give you (JR's farm in the NW 1/4, of section 19, township 20 south, range 24 East , Locally described as being at the corner of US HWY 441, and 14th St. in the city of Leesburg, Lake County, Florida. Did you know that New GPS Combines Useful Features

New GPS Combines Useful Features

each load of grain was tracked whit GPS that info can follow the grain all the way to your shopping cart.

How China??? I Don't know.:cup:

Could create barriers to foreign exporters, USTR reports

The first page of your can of soup brochure explains that it's important to read the brochure and provides warnings that failure to do so could cause risk to your health or the health of your pets.

Insert piece A into slot 6 with hex screw J and screwdriver 1. Turn clockwise three degress with torque wrench 17 until 3 clicks are heard. Beee-yond-tooo-morr-ow!! [/Quote]

This is why I said this

it would have to run in the background only showing me information that put my flags on. if I had to carry a user manuals to buy cans of soup.

can u picture that :hihi: you a funny Dude. [/Quote]

• 4 weeks later...

and so it begins this is good to know. :shrug:

Do You Know Where Your Veggies Come From?

Electronic Produce Tracking Gives Consumers Information About Their Fresh Produce

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=3462980&page=1

If you've ever wondered where exactly your fruits and vegetables come from' date=' you may now be in luck. Thanks to a newly developed "electronic produce tracking system," consumers will be able to learn intricate details about their fresh food with a computer and a few simple keystrokes.

The system could also dramatically improve tracking of produce that may have been contaminated.

"It allows a farmer to uniquely identify their product— whether it's a melon or a box of corn— with a unique number," said Elliot Grant, the chief marketing officer for Yottamark, the company that manufacturers the Harvestmark system. "Then the consumer can visit the Web site, type in the 24-digit produce number, and find out all of the harvest information."

Consumers will be able to determine the country of origin and the name and location of the farm, including the exact plot the product was grown on. Shoppers will even be able to find out exactly how many miles the produce traveled to reach the local market, a bonus for consumers who want to support local farmers and are sensitive to the size of the carbon footprint used to get their produce to the dinner table.

The system will be available to all producers, and is a larger, more ambitious version of a system Dole Foods unveiled this year to help consumers track their organic bananas.

Organic food's popularity is exploding. The Organic Trade Association said that the natural food market has grown by more than 40 percent since the 1990s. With the consumers' growing fear of contamination, transparency and traceability is vital for companies' continued success, advocates say.

"We are dealing with a consumer who has grown up with Google, for example, where with a few key strokes we can find out everything we want," said Grant. "Why shouldn't we able to do the same with produce?"

<-->

[b']A Work in Progess[/b]

With Dole only offering the produce tracking for organic bananas, and Harvestwatch's clan of just a "handful of clients," electronic produce tracking has a long way to go.

In the meantime, consumers may be surprised to find that many of the secrets that lie behind their next Granny Smith apple or Idaho potato are already just a click away.

Hey folks,

Here's one that concerns me: labelling of GMO (Genetically Modified Organisms) ingredients or products. At this point I simply refuse to buy conventional corn, soya and canola. Organic as much as possible. It would sure be nice to know I'm not supporting terminator genes when I buy my crackers.

I also highly approve of labelling (or bar-coding) for country of origin of ingredients. Then we could really up our support of local food production and lower global warming!

p.s. Maybe we could get Hypogrophy to add a label to applicable threads: "This thread contains personal attacks, read at your own risk". (and I could skip it if I wanted to! ;)