Science Forums

New Food Labels

Racoon

Sorry people I have lost the plot with this thread. Had a few bad weeks.

So please be forgiving.

In Oz we have a bizarre labeling system that gives each food additive a number MSG ="320" for example.

So if you want to know what is in your can of Campbell's soup you need a dictionary of numbers. Those that are specially sensitive to MSG, sulphates, yeasts etc get to learn their numbers quickly.

I do remember picking up a biscuit (AKA cookie) at a motel in Anaheim 25 years ago where the whole back of the package contained a detailed list of ingredients. There must have been 50-70 listed. I decided to leave the biscuit but was impressed by USA food labeling laws which at that stage were non-existent in Australia.

I don't know where I stand on GM food, but I do think that those people who want to avoid it should have that option.

Having imported container loads of herbs and seeing the chemicals used to sterilise them Phospherene? & methyl bromide It is pretty scary. Fortunately i was importing Pot pourri Herbs not edible ones.

But i am sure the edible ones were treated the same way and that was probably after the Turkish oregano farmer sprayed them with DDT.

The recent situation with Sydney fishermen is tragic. Dow/Union carbide made agent orange during the Vietnam war on the forshores of Sydney harbour. guess where the waste went?

Fisher folk now have huge loads of chlorinated hydrocarbons and other crap floating in their bodies of themselves and wives and kids. The NSW (state)Health Department could not even test their blood for contaminants. The blood was tested in Germany; levels were far above "acceptable" levels.

I don't think we should tell people how much pesticide is in their food otherwise no one would eat anything. We just have to move gradually to a more organic way of living and producing our food.

But given the increasing number of food intolerances and allergies in people -especially kids- all food should contain a list of ingredients, that is clear and unambiguous.

• 3 weeks later...

The recent situation with Sydney fishermen is tragic. Dow/Union carbide made agent orange during the Vietnam war on the forshores of Sydney harbour. guess where the waste went?

Fisher folk now have huge loads of chlorinated hydrocarbons and other crap floating in their bodies of themselves and wives and kids. The NSW (state)Health Department could not even test their blood for contaminants. The blood was tested in Germany; levels were far above "acceptable" levels.

I don't think we should tell people how much pesticide is in their food otherwise no one would eat anything. We just have to move gradually to a more organic way of living and producing our food.

But given the increasing number of food intolerances and allergies in people -especially kids- all food should contain a list of ingredients, that is clear and unambiguous.

Minnesota has mercury warnings for different lakes in the state. They test fish every so often and then issue recommendations on how much of which type of fish is ok to eat with variations on whether your planning a family, beyond that, or a growing kid.

One type of advisory:

Do Not Eat the Listed Fish More than Once a Month - Minnesota Dept. of Health

As far as not telling people how much pesticides are in the various foods they eat, I would think this would encourage people to demand organic foods and speed up the process of getting away from chemical usage.

Market Food Rating System Has Influence

Supermarket Chain Says Rating System for Healthier Food Choices Seems to Have Some Influence

A gold star rating system aimed at helping food shoppers make healthier choices seems to have some influence meaning more Shredded Wheat' date=' Raisin Bran and Honey Nut Clusters in shopping carts.

Hannaford Bros., a New England supermarket chain, said sales of items that earned at least one out of three stars outpaced similar products that got no stars. The difference was greatest among packaged foods, including cereal, canned goods, bakery items and snack foods. Hannaford said those products that received stars grew 2 1/2 times faster than similar items deemed less healthy.

The system is based on a formula that Hannaford wants to patent. In general, though, vitamins, minerals, fiber and whole grains earn more stars. Added sodium, trans fats, saturated fats and cholesterol mean fewer, or no, stars.

"I love it. I absolutely do," Donna Lewis said Wednesday after pushing her cart through the checkout line with her 5-year-old son.

Lewis uses the star system to teach her children, including two other boys, about good nutrition. The star system make nutrition simple, she said. Children easily understand it.

Some of Hannaford's ratings are a no-brainer.

For example, whole milk gets no stars, 1 percent milk gets two stars and skim milk gets three stars. Whole-grain breads get more stars than standard white flour. Virtually all fresh produce, from habaneros to mangos, get three stars.

As expected, Fruity Pebbles, Cap'n Crunch, Cocoa Puffs and similar sugar-laden cereals get no stars. Ditto for Campbell's Spaghettio's and Chef Boyardee Ravioli and Kraft Easy Mac. On the canned soup aisle, there are practically no stars at all.

But the star system contains some surprises, even for educated shoppers.

Mott's four flavors of "Healthy Harvest" applesauce in kid-sized serving containers gets two stars. Right next to those on the shelf, Mott's Scooby Doo! "Pirates Punch" and "Mummy Berry" flavors, which have added sugar, get no stars.

Kim Marcotte of Falmouth was surprised to discover that a can of Nature's Place Organic green beans she purchased had 380 milligrams of salt. But Del Monte Fresh Cut's "Cut green beans" had only 10 milligrams of salt, earning it stars

Page 1 of 3[/quote']

ABC News: Market Food Rating System Has Influence

IMHO This is one more step in the right direction. :evil:

• 1 year later...

I think everone should know where there food comes from:

Do you know how to tell which products are made in the USA, or in the Philippines, in Taiwan, or in China?

Here's How:

The first 3 digits of the barcode identify the country code

wherein the product was made.

For Example: ALL barcodes that start with 690, 691, 692, etc. up to and including 695 are all MADE IN CHINA.

Barcodes starting with 471 are on products Made in Taiwan.

Taiwanese barcode

You have a right to know. But government and related departments

never inform or educate the public. Therefore we must educate ourselves, be vigilant, and RESCUE ourselves.

Today, Chinese businessmen know that consumers will not select products 'Made in China'. So, they make every effort not to show or state the country of origin on their products. However, you can now refer to the barcode.

DO remember if the first 3 digits are one of those between 690 and 695 inclusive then it is a product Made in China .

OTHER BARCODES:

00 ~ 13 USA & CANADA

30 ~ 37 FRANCE

40 ~ 44 GERMANY

49 ~ JAPAN

50 ~ UK

57 ~ Denmark

64 ~ Finland

76 ~ Switzerland and Liechtenstein

628 ~ Saudi-Arabia

629 ~ United Arab Emirates

740 ~ 745 - Central America

All 480 Codes are Made in the Philippines.

Please inform your family and friends.

Be aware! And help others to be aware!

• 1 month later...

Well with all of the contaminated foods on the market (I seem to hear a new one every other day) you would think we could track food our better than this article is implying! A short article but worth a read. :lol:

Investigators: Food Tracking Gravely Flawed

Only 5 Of 40 Foods Sold In Grocery Stores Traceable

POSTED: Thursday' date=' March 26, 2009

UPDATED: 4:51 am EDT March 26, 2009

[b']WASHINGTON[/b] -- Government investigators testing the nation's food tracing system were able to follow only five out of 40 foods all the way through the supply chain, according to a report to be released Thursday.

Is Your Food Safe?

The ability to trace food is a critical part of investigations into outbreaks of food-borne illness and would be crucial in a bioterrorism attack. Food companies are required by federal law to keep records that would allow investigators to follow suspect foods one step back and one step forward in the supply chain.

"The food safety regulatory structure lacks an adequate traceability system," said Rep. Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., who requested the investigation."

<-->

The report said 70 out 118 food facilities in the traceback test did not meet the FDA's record keeping requirements for information about suppliers, shippers and customers.

"In some cases, managers had to look through large numbers of records -- some of them paper based -- for contact information," the report said.

The inspector general recommended that the FDA consider seeking stronger legal powers to improve the tracing of food.

The FDA said it was reviewing the recommendations.

Improve the tracing of food.

:evil: I wish I thought of that. ;)