Science Forums

What causes a lake to disappear?

Well, I'm obviously speculating. But the stratification by liquefaction as described by the 9972 would explain the strata below this lake just as it does other lake beds. Also, the zigzag pattern of this crevasse resembles the Goosenecks State Park said by Brown to be caused by the bottlenecking of water currents as "Grand Lake" escapes through a breach in its perimeter responsible for carving the Grand Canyon.

good grief molly! :turtle: i already mentioned aliens, although tongue-in-cheek, so i'll just grin at 'god did it' and say that since we don't know what rocks are in the strata we can't say how they formed. liquifaction does not sort strata as much as it mixes strata. :hyper: ;)

Another thing I wonder...

Looking at the bottom pic on the google link, at the top of the ridge, there is a line of grey/darker muck/soil with a line of yellow under it, then more gray then a thinner yellow line.

OK some of the reports state the lake wasnt there around 30 years ago.

Is the top line of gray the deposits from the last 30 years?

And if so, is the yellow line the indicator for cold periods where there was limited melting (and maybe slower accumulation of deposits).

And if this is correct, it would also indicate many periods of warming/cooling for this glacier.

Well, I'm obviously speculating. But the stratification by liquefaction as described by the 9972 would explain the strata below this lake just as it does other lake beds. Also, the zigzag pattern of this crevasse resembles the Goosenecks State Park said by Brown to be caused by the bottlenecking of water currents as "Grand Lake" escapes through a breach in its perimeter responsible for carving the Grand Canyon.

Its kinda fun to ponder such things. While not a proponent of the hydroplate theory myself, hopefully when the people finish examining this area, someone will post a link to the results so we can see whos guesses came close. :cup:

Or worse, find out we all way off base ;)

• 2 weeks later...
i'll accept that; but they also say global warming caused it and that is a load of bull pucky. ;) i assert that the strata in the lake wall is indicative of cyclic advancing & receding by the glaciers, which means the glacial lakes in the region regularly form and drain. :turtle:

And the warming of the globe would not impact this? Do not warmer temperatures cause the ice to recede more, and less surface ice result in less reflection of solar heat, itself causing warmer waters and more melting, futher resulting in a self-reinforcing cycle of heating, recession, and fracture?

[/rhetorical questions]

Then again, you did say it "is a load of bull pucky," and with logic like that I simply must be off base. :hihi:

And the warming of the globe would not impact this? Do not warmer temperatures cause the ice to recede more, and less surface ice result in less reflection of solar heat, itself causing warmer waters and more melting, futher resulting in a self-reinforcing cycle of heating, recession, and fracture?

[/rhetorical questions]

Then again, you did say it "is a load of bull pucky," and with logic like that I simply must be off base. :turtle:

the base that is off is that, a) humans caused it , and :hihi: humans can and ought to try & change it. [/answers with content] ;)

the base that is off is that, a) humans caused it , and :turtle: humans can and ought to try & change it. [/answers with content] ;)

Now you're just making **** up. I have, no where in this thread, suggested such things.

However, were I to propose this I would rephrase as, a) human activities impact climate change, and :hihi: we ought to care for our environment better than we do.

Get a grip Turtle. You've been riding my *** ever since I called Racoon a bigot.

Now you're just making **** up. I have, no where in this thread, suggested such things.

However, were I to propose this I would rephrase as, a) human activities impact climate change, and :hihi: we ought to care for our environment better than we do.

Get a grip Turtle. You've been riding my *** ever since I called Racoon a bigot.

:hihi: :turtle: easy big fella. i wasn't suggesting that is your view; i thought it was clear it is my view and my words. as you rightly follow individuals' posts in the light and context of other threads, i presumed you knew this was my position from my postings in the numerous global warming/cooling threads.

global warming and cooling are natural cycles -in my view- that have extremes beyond today and when humans were absent. given that the strata in the photo of the drained lake wall are glacial deposits from terminal morraines, it is logical to conclude the glacier(s) in the area have advanced and retreated over a long period in step with these natural cycles of warming & cooling. ;)

However, were I to propose this I would rephrase as, a) human activities impact climate change, and :turtle: we ought to care for our environment better than we do.

;)

Bigot.. yeah, I guess I'm not completely open minded to IN's ideal Utopia.

Carry on.

Howstuffworks "How can a lake simply disappear?"

It took scientists several weeks before they were able to discover the answer because the site is very remote -- about 4,900 feet above sea level and 1,250 miles south of Chile's capital, Santiago. But in early July 2007, scientists got their answer.

An investigation has revealed that too much water was the problem. The melting Tempano and Bernardo glaciers filled the lake beyond the crater's capacity. The increased pressure broke the lake's moraine through which water flowed out, later ending up in the ocean. The lake is refilling as the chunks of ice on the lake bed melt, though Chilean scientists pointed out that global warming did have a serious effect. Glaciers naturally melt and reform, but warming is causing the Tempano and Bernardo glaciers to melt more than they should..

For some lakes, rapidly appearing or disappearing is part of a natural process. The lake in Chile did not exist 30 years ago, though, again, global warming is likely affecting the process. Some lakes, including many in Alaska and Florida's Lake Jackson, go through a similar process regularly, disappearing and reappearing during certain seasons, or from year-to-year or decade-to-decade.

and Mercedes Benzene wins first prize.

with InfiniteNow in second place.

The only thing that COULD cause such an event would be a rapid release of water. Obviously the only way this could happen (short of science fiction-like events) would be a fissure or the appearence of some opening that allowed the water to flow out.

I would have liked to see it happen.

Slow melting of the glaciers increased the levels of the lake water. The increase of water levels exerted additional pressure on the surrounding glaciers. This weight being distributed in denser form stressed the surrouding glaciers, surrounding glaciers which acted as the walls of the lake. This stress caused minor faults and cracks to grow. The April earthquake offered just enough of a tremor to cause the faults to spread enough to significantly increase in size, and the water was no longer retained. It drained like a bathtub with the stopper pulled out.

This is my speculation based on the articles and information I've read. This combination of factors seems likely, but remains unconfirmed.

In reviewing the above, one realizes that it is much more likely that extraterrestrials came down and zapped the lake with their alpha laser death ray to express their anger at our current sociopolitical shortcomings. :hihi: :shade: :beer:

and Mercedes Benzene wins first prize.

with InfiniteNow in second place.

:eek: :hyper:

perhaps cracks existed but remained ice blocked until some thawing occured and then the water ran out. the remaining large blocks would thaw slowly and so remain; the temp may have dropped again too, to preserve them.

... :) :highfive:

;)

the base that is off is that, a) humans caused it , and B) humans can and ought to try & change it.

Now you're just making s*** up.

didn't you know i make everything up? after all; we know exactly what the past climate was...right?

Oldest frozen DNA reveals a greener Greenland - earth - 05 July 2007 - New Scientist Environment

just because warming/cooling is observed in a particular location on Earth, one cannot simply conclude that the warming/cooling is global.

:(