Science Forums

Australia

Some more distracting fun

My excellent daughter stumbled this government website to me

http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/atmoss/Falcon_Search_Tools.Main?pSearch=Surname&pWord=Sock&pCommand=Search

Search for Australian Surnames

Find: "Sock"

Enter search term eg. Harris for exact match, or Harris* for prefix search

Result

Surname Count

SOCK 1

You won't believe it but there is only one "Sock" in Australia The other must have got lost in the wash?:D:lol::shrug:

I am all for Dr Edmund Capon's (AM, OBE Director NSW Art Gallery) style lead of wearing Odd Socks. The then NSW Premier, Neville Wran interviewed him for the position of Director/ CEO and said the odd socks got him the job!

Now they sell odd socks in the Gallery's shop; best sellers too.:eek2:

A sombre and sobering view of the fires

An awful chill in the death zone | smh.com.au

A good news animal story

Victorian bushfire survivor, Sam the koala, a global star | Herald Sun

as I sid on another forum

Do you realise how amazing this is?

1 These animals are wild with 4' long razor sharp claws that can rip you to shreds

To come up to a human like this in the wild is unheard of

Then again the fireball firestorm that hit Victoria was unprecedented too.

(The death toll may go to 300 a lot still missing totally incinerated?)

2. Kolas are said never to drink at all getting all the moisture they need from the gum leaves they eat. This guy was dehydrated even when he got to the vets.

Many animals that survived are being treated for burns

There will be nothing left for many to eat for awhile

This guy was lucky They say he should recover in 6+ months and be relased back into that area which had a particularly rare, genetic strain of Kolas

The Vic fires have got some interesting comments -

"...the fires are a result of Australia’s departure from its religious values"

http://livenews.com.au/Articles/2009/02/11/Bushfires_caused_by_abortion_laws_Pastor_claims

...and from another nutter, we get -

Flannery ...said environmental conditions had become more extreme than ever in the lead-up to the deadly blazes, causing the fires to be "quantitatively different from anything seen before" ....warned Australia would face more terrible fires in the future unless policies on fossil fuels and pollution emissions changed. Climate policy change needed to stop bushfires like Victoria fires: Flannery | The Australian

........................ :)

...and the REAL reason why the Vic fires were so bad -

THE shire council covering some of the areas hit hardest by the bushfires was warned five years ago that its policy of encouraging people to grow trees near their homes to give the appearance of a forest would lead to disaster.

One of Australia's leading bushfire experts, Rod Incoll, warned Nillumbik Shire Council in a 2003 report that it risked devastation if it went ahead with changes to planning laws proposed by green groups that restricted the removal of vegetation.

Mr Incoll, the Victorian fire chief from 1990 to 1996, and David Packham, a former CSIRO bushfire scientist and academic who also produced a report on the issue, argued against the regulations, which actively encouraged the builders of new homes to plant trees around the houses for aesthetic reasons.

Mr Incoll told The Australian yesterday the proposed planning rules were "foolhardy and dangerous and ought not to be proceeded with".

"But they were nevertheless instituted," he said. "That is certainly one of the things that people will be looking at as an aftermath of this tragic event."

Mr Packham, now an honorary senior research fellow at Monash University's school of geography and environmental science, wrote in his report, after inspecting the Kinglake to Heidelberg Road: "The mix of fuel, unsafe roadsides and embedded houses, some with zero protection and no hope of survival, will all ensure that when a large fire impinges upon the area a major disaster will result."

Council ignored warning over trees before Victoria bushfires | The Australian

...as the bumper sticker reads - HELP SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT, SHOOT A GREENY

I was waiting for the GW refute from you FB

Agreed no one can really say these fires were caused by anthropogenic global warming.

"One swallow does not make a summer"

But there are a lot of swallows out there now, and as your idol/mentor Murdoch says "You have to give the planet the befit of the doubt." Quote unquote; said this year in Australia.

Personally I believe there is just not enough hazard reduction being done.

WA is the only State will full-time people involved in reducing forest litter in a systematic,, planned, sane way..

We have forgot what the Aborigines have been doing here for 40,000+ years.

Even Captain Cook remarked on the large number of fires up the East Coast.

Hopefully we won't all forget about this until the next BLACK (pick a day SMTWTFS) comes along.

Meanwhile CSIRO resarch (on fires?) generally is being cut back.

There is alot of discussion about the Vicorian fires on the Permaculture forums. (Are you into growing things you can eat?)

Permaculture discussion forum • Index page

and probably many other Oz web sites.

:)

On abortion

Unsafe abortions still killing women(ScienceAlert)

the Catholic Church has a lot of blood on its hands when it comes to contraception or maybe sex generally

How a bunch of masturbating paedophiles can do this to women

or

say a guy with aids can't use a condom when having sex with his non-AIDs infected wife is criminal. In fact I would call it "accessory to murder" and throw the buggers in jail. (A good place for buggers I am told )

If this is Godly give me Lucifer 'the bringer of light' any day.

I may have to change my hypograpy name.

Good video. I like that it has the sound so we can hear the interaction between the people.

Could you find out the mailing address or website of the Rehab center taking care of "sam"?

I see they have arrested one suspect in one of the fires. Its horrifying to think multiple fires were set intentionally.

In the late 70s, I met a survivor of this fire:

_Oct. 13-15, 1918 — Cloquet, Minnesota — Up to 1,000 killed, 250,000 acres (101,000 hectares) destroyed.

She talked of riding the train to duluth and how brave the engineer was. The train went thru a wall of fire to get the people to safety. She described the burning forest and suffocating heat and complete terror. She choked up as she described whole families, her neighbors, those who did not survive.

Regardless of whether people should/ should not have exploding trees (eucaliptis, pine, etc) planted in their yards, fire is a horrible way to die.

Personally I believe there is just not enough hazard reduction being done

Michaelangelica, i think a Mr Flannery would agree with you there. A quote from his book -

In 1790 the First Fleeters experienced the kind of summer that strikes fear into the heart of twentieth-century Australians. Temperatures rose into the forties and the wind blew from the north-west as if out of an oven. The heat was so extreme that birds fell dead into the streets and the europeans succumbed to heat prostration. At one stage a great mob of flying foxes passed by, dropping from the air as they died. For all this, there is not one mention in the early journals of the threat of fire. The reason seems to be that the Aborigines' firestick farming, where they regularly burnt the bush to create pasture lands for the animals they hunted, had kept fuel loads down. Despite the tinder-dry conditions there was little to burn.

PP.15, The Birth of Sydney, Tim Flannery 1999, Text Publishing.

Good video. I like that it has the sound so we can hear the interaction between the people.

Could you find out the mailing address or website of the Rehab center taking care of "sam"?

I see they have arrested one suspect in one of the fires. Its horrifying to think multiple fires were set intentionally.

In the late 70s, I met a survivor of this fire:

_Oct. 13-15, 1918 — Cloquet, Minnesota — Up to 1,000 killed, 250,000 acres (101,000 hectares) destroyed.

She talked of riding the train to duluth and how brave the engineer was. The train went thru a wall of fire to get the people to safety. She described the burning forest and suffocating heat and complete terror. She choked up as she described whole families, her neighbors, those who did not survive.

Regardless of whether people should/ should not have exploding trees (eucaliptis, pine, etc) planted in their yards, fire is a horrible way to die.

Sam must be the most famous Koala in history! He is certainly a game little survivor!

This is the best I can do re address

Koala saved from Australia's wildfires doing well

Koala Sam finds love on Valentines Day after bushfires | PerthNow

If you wanted to donate to help the animals

The RSPCA is the most consistent, well resourced, intelligent, hard working and sanest animal welfare organisation in Australia.

RSPCA Victoria: News / Heat Wave

They say

Just a one acre fire will burn literally millions of animals from insects and spiders to skinks, lizards, snakes, and nesting birds and all the small mammals that cannot flee, like echidnas, koalas and possums. And then there is the damage to the animals’ homes and food supply, and of course the destruction of plants and other life.

Vets without Frontiers have a huge group now working in the area.

Unfortunately mostly euthanasing animals.

I am just hearing a news report on Healesville Sanctuary appealing for bandages and medical supplies on the TV now. They were one of the first to set up animal rescue in Oz over 50 years ago. They did have to evacuate during the fires but seem OK now.

Healesville Sanctuary - Zoos Victoria

I don't know the final score, no -one does- but well over 2 million acres have been burnt in Victoria. The fire is now on a 100K front and they are building a 100K road to back burn to it. The weather this week has been a lot milder. The weekend's weather though, is not looking good.

You should be able to see the fires from google space? I have seen a couple of snaps of it from last week. Everyone just keeps saying "unprecedented" all the time.

It was 47C (117 ºF) in Melbourne last Saturday the highest temp on record for that seaside city. Imagine what it was like in the outback. Remember that's the temp. in the shade. You could cook eggs on any metal surface. People were being warned not to leave kids in cars as the temp in the car would rise to 60C in 10 minutes.

more on fires here

Bushfires or fires and Melbourne News

There are still people missing. I don't think they will find some bodies such was the intensity of the fire. Yes a terrifying and painful way to go.

Sam must be the most famous Koala in history! He is certainly a game little survivor!

This is the best I can do re address

Koala saved from Australia's wildfires doing well

Koala Sam finds love on Valentines Day after bushfires | PerthNow

Its too bad you cannot find this particular Shelters address. I have spent the last hour looking and cant find anything either. Wildlife rehabilitation is very expensive and usually a volunteer/donation only run endeavor. Something like this can cripple a site.

I wont donate to third parties who promise to re-distribute donations when I have something in particular in mind. Seen too many who capitalize on such situations to enhance their own needs first. I will keep looking. I am sure there are other sites doing this work that have direct donation capabilities.

And it is going to continue to be mild weather for the next week - EXCEPT for the bloody wind.. all we need is a few good days without the wind or some rain and it would really help out our weary firefighters.

Australian bushfires pump out millions of tonnes of carbon

The deadly bush fires in Australia have released millions of tonnes of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, equivalent to more than a third of the country's CO2 emissions for a whole year, according to scientists.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/feb/13/carbonemissions-australia

Who is gonna pay for all those carbon credits ay?

And it is going to continue to be mild weather for the next week - EXCEPT for the bloody wind.. all we need is a few good days without the wind or some rain and it would really help out our weary firefighters.

Australian bushfires pump out millions of tonnes of carbon

The deadly bush fires in Australia have released millions of tonnes of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, equivalent to more than a third of the country's CO2 emissions for a whole year, according to scientists.

Australian bushfires pump out millions of tonnes of carbon | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Who is gonna pay for all those carbon credits ay?

Theres some pretty sharp minds down under. I am sure they can think of a way to blame American SUVs for this release. :)

Seriously, I did not know they are considering including forest fires in the new Kyoto. Gonna really mess up the prairie restoration/maintenance in Crex Meadows (and elsewhere).

Bush Fires in Victoria 1851 Black Thursday

The year 1850 had been one of exceptional heat and drought. Pastures had withered; creeks had become fissured clay-pans; water-holes had disappeared; sheep and cattle had perished in great numbers, and the sun-burnt plains were strewn with their bleached skeletons; the very leaves upon the trees crackled in the heat, and appeared to be as inflammable as tinder.

As the summer advanced, the temperature became torrid, and on the morning of the 6th of February, 1851, the air which blew down from the north resembled the breath of a furnace. A fierce wind arose, gathering strength and velocity from hour to hour, until about noon it blew with the violence of a tornado.

By some inexplicable means it wrapped the whole country in a sheet of flame —fierce, awful, and irresistible. Men, women and children, sheep and cattle, birds and snakes, fled before the fire in a common panic. The air was darkened by volumes of smoke, relieved by showers of sparks; the forests were ablaze, and, on the ranges, the conflagration transformed their wooded slopes into appalling masses of incandescent columns and arches.

Farm houses, fences, crops, orchards, gardens, haystacks, bridges, wool-sheds, were swept away by the impetuous on-rush of the flames, which left behind them nothing but a charred heap of ruins, and a scene of pitiable desolation. The human fugitives fled to water, wherever it could be found, and stood in it, breathing with difficulty the suffocating atmosphere, and listening with awe to the roar of the elements and the cries of the affrighted animals.

Many lives were lost, and the value of the property and live stock destroyed on "Black Thursday " can only be vaguely conjectured...

...In Melbourne the day opened with a scorching north wind and an unclouded sky. Under the influence of the fierce sirocco the city was soon enveloped in blinding dust, and by 11 o'clock the thermometer marked 117 degrees in the shade. ( 117 degree Fahrenheit = 47 degrees Celsius )

By midday, rolling volumes of smoke began to converge on the city, and outdoor life became intolerable. The streets were almost deserted, a dull sense of suffocation oppressed even those who cowered in the coolest recesses of their homes, and anxiously asked what it meant. Fortunately no fires broke out near the city, for had it once done so, in all probability the whole place would have fallen.

The year 1850 had been one of exceptional heat and drought. Pastures had withered; creeks had become fissured clay-pans; water-holes had disappeared; sheep and cattle had perished in great numbers, and the sun-burnt plains were strewn with their bleached skeletons; the very leaves upon the trees crackled in the heat, and appeared to be as inflammable as tinder.

As the summer advanced, the temperature became torrid, and on the morning of the 6th of February, 1851, the air which blew down from the north resembled the breath of a furnace. A fierce wind arose, gathering strength and velocity from hour to hour, until about noon it blew with the violence of a tornado.

By some inexplicable means it wrapped the whole country in a sheet of flame —fierce, awful, and irresistible. Men, women and children, sheep and cattle, birds and snakes, fled before the fire in a common panic. The air was darkened by volumes of smoke, relieved by showers of sparks; the forests were ablaze, and, on the ranges, the conflagration transformed their wooded slopes into appalling masses of incandescent columns and arches.

Farm houses, fences, crops, orchards, gardens, haystacks, bridges, wool-sheds, were swept away by the impetuous on-rush of the flames, which left behind them nothing but a charred heap of ruins, and a scene of pitiable desolation. The human fugitives fled to water, wherever it could be found, and stood in it, breathing with difficulty the suffocating atmosphere, and listening with awe to the roar of the elements and the cries of the affrighted animals.

Many lives were lost, and the value of the property and live stock destroyed on "Black Thursday " can only be vaguely conjectured...

...In Melbourne the day opened with a scorching north wind and an unclouded sky. Under the influence of the fierce sirocco the city was soon enveloped in blinding dust, and by 11 o'clock the thermometer marked 117 degrees in the shade. ( 117 degree Fahrenheit = 47 degrees Celsius )

By midday, rolling volumes of smoke began to converge on the city, and outdoor life became intolerable. The streets were almost deserted, a dull sense of suffocation oppressed even those who cowered in the coolest recesses of their homes, and anxiously asked what it meant. Fortunately no fires broke out near the city, for had it once done so, in all probability the whole place would have fallen.

===

With all due respect.... :hihi:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(1939)

The Black Friday fires of January 13, 1939, in Victoria, Australia, are considered one of the worst natural bushfires (wildfires) in the world, and most certainly the single worst in Australian history as a measure of land affected. Almost 20,000 km² (4,942,000 acres, 2,000,000 ha) of land was burnt, 71 people died, several towns were entirely destroyed and the Royal Commission that resulted from it led to major changes in forest management. Over 1,300 homes and 69 sawmills were burnt and a total of 3,700 buildings were destroyed. It was calculated that three quarters of the State of Victoria was directly or indirectly affected by the disaster.

In the days preceding the fires, Melbourne experienced some of its hottest temperatures on record: 43.8 °C (110.8 °F) on January 8 and 44.7 °C (112.4 °F) on January 10. On January 13, the day of the fires, temperatures reached 45.6 °C (114.1 °F), which remained the hottest day recorded in Melbourne until February 7, 2009, (although temperatures of around 47 °C (117 °F) were reported on the Black Thursday fires of February 6, 1851).[citation needed]

The summer of 1938–39 had been hot and dry, and several fires had broken out. By early January, fires were burning in a number of locations across the state. Then, on Friday January 13, a strong northerly wind hit the state, causing several of the fires to combine into one massive front.

===

Ash Wednesday fires - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Ash Wednesday bushfires were a series of bushfires that occurred in south-eastern Australia on 16 February 1983. Within twelve hours, more than 180 fires fanned by winds of up to 110 km (68 mph) per hour caused widespread destruction across the states of Victoria and South Australia.[3] Years of severe drought and extreme weather combined to create one of Australia’s worst fire days in a century.[4] The fires are the second deadliest bushfire disaster in Australian history—only the 2009 Victorian bushfires have claimed more lives.

In Victoria, 47 people died, while in South Australia there were 28 deaths.

El Niño

As 1982 came to a close, large areas of eastern Australia lay devastated by a prolonged drought thought to be caused by the El Niño climatic cycle. In many places, rainfall over winter and spring had been the lowest on record, and severe water restrictions were imposed in Melbourne in November. On 24 November, the earliest Total Fire Ban in forty years was proclaimed in Victoria. By February 1983, summer rainfall for Victoria was up to 75% less than in previous years. The first week of February was punctuated by intense heat, with record high temperatures experienced on 1 February and 8 February. This combination further destabilised an already volatile fire situation in the forested upland areas surrounding the Victorian and South Australian capitals Melbourne and Adelaide.

Wednesday 16 February—coincidentally Ash Wednesday on the Christian calendar—dawned as another unrelentingly hot, dry day.

Temperatures around Melbourne and Adelaide quickly rose above 43 °C, with winds gusting up to 60 km/h and relative humidity plunging to as low as 6 per cent.

The summer bushfires of 1982/1983 razed approximately 5,200 km² (1,284,000 acres, or 520,000 hectares).

===

...wiki, as of this Friday the 13th, says....

2009 Victorian bushfires - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fires have destroyed at least 1,831 homes and damaged many thousands more. Many towns north-east of Melbourne have been badly damaged or almost completely destroyed, including Kinglake, Marysville, Narbethong and Strathewen. The fires have left an estimated 7,000 people homeless.

The February fires commenced on a day when several localities across the state, including the state capital of Melbourne, recorded their highest temperatures since records began in 1859.

Victoria bushfires 7 February 2009, record heatwave for SA, VIC, TAS and NSW 27 Jan to 8 Feb 2009 - Page 1

Northern Agricultural

Port Augusta - 45C (That's 114F)

Roseworthy, Snowtown North and Turretfield - 44C

Most other centres recorded 41 to 43C

===

Murray District

A place called Pallamana (Pallamana Airport) recorded 47.6C at 3pm. Here it was 16.4C at 6 am. It hit 40C at 11 am and was still 46C at 4 pm.

Murray Bridge - 46C.

Temperatures of 44C were common in this area.

===

Western Agricultural District

Ceduna, Cleve, topped 45C

Kyancutta - 46C.

Nullabor - 45C.

Wudinna Airport - 46C.

Yikes! More people, more heat, more frequent--more danger?

At least Friday the 13th was avoided as a focus of this go-around.

===

Anyone know what El Niño is doing (has been up to lately)?

How about the solar cycles--any synchrony with all these various episodes of extreme conditions?

~ :blahblahblah:

1851 - 6 February 'Black Thursday'

Fires covered a quarter of what is now Victoria (approximately 5 million hectares). Areas affected include Portland, Plenty Ranges, Westernport, the Wimmera and Dandenong districts. Approximately 12 lives, one million sheep and thousands of cattle were lost

Major Bushfires in Victoria

So much for crapa-pedia

Well I emailed helpforwildlife.com and asked them if they could get me the contact info.

At least 3 wildlife shelters were lost from the fires. Here is the email I received in response:

To donate to the welfare of SAM & BOB, please send a cheque or money order to:

Southern Ash Wildlife Shelter

PO Box 13

Rawson 3825

Victoria

Alternatively, to support ALL wildlife in the affected areas donations can be made as follows:

Donations:

MONEY - If you wish to donate money we are suggesting forwarding on your donations to the Gippsland group WRAP. WRAP have already lost three wildlife shelters in the inferno and a fourth is under threat. They are struggling financially to help the wildlife in need. BADGAR is working closely with WRAP on and off the fire ground. If you would like to donate to WRAP directly then please go to WRAP - Wildlife Rescue and Protection or alternatively you can send a cheque or money order directly to:

WRAP

1540 Turtons Creek Rd

Woorarra West

Victoria 3960

Thank you

Colleen Wood

Southern Ash Wildlife Shelter

Its too bad you cannot find this particular Shelters address. I have spent the last hour looking and cant find anything either. Wildlife rehabilitation is very expensive and usually a volunteer/donation only run endeavor. Something like this can cripple a site.

I wont donate to third parties who promise to re-distribute donations when I have something in particular in mind. Seen too many who capitalize on such situations to enhance their own needs first. I will keep looking. I am sure there are other sites doing this work that have direct donation capabilities.

i still can't find it even using the phone book and an Australian search engine

This is the closest I have come

Koala Sam survives the bushfire thanks to CFA firefighter David Tree News

WRAP is the organisation that’s taking care of Sam and many other animals injured in the fires. You can make a donation through their website

Many animals are farmed out to private carers especially where 24 hour care is needed. This may be the case with Sam. I have never heard of WRAP, but Victorians do go their own way a lot.

While we have given billions to NG and Indonesia in aid over the years, it was very nice to see them donate a million each to the Bushfire appeal. Very heart-warming as they have great needs themselves.

Also the sight of 80-100 fire fighters from Canada and USA arriving at the airport and a mob from across the ditch in NZ. Our guys are just rooted and traumatised. This will be a big help

It is raining in NSW which will allow fire crews from here to go to Victoria. Tassie is sending people too

Bourke (NSW-Outback)had its biggest rainfall ever which is great as it will feed into the Murray Darling System which is literally on its last legs (The Eighth Largest River System on the planet) and the food-bowl for a lot of Australia. The supermarkets are saying please don't be picky about fruit and veg because with floods up north fires down south and the long drought farmers are having a tough time of it. Many main roads in Queensland are still blocked by flood waters. The sugar cane is under a metre of water.

The Bureau of Meteorology's Neil Fraser says the rainfall (In Bourke) is "a one in 120 year event".

Bourke experiences flash floods - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Mother Nature is certainly going nuts here at the moment.

Mild weather aids firefighting efforts

Posted 15 minutes ago

* Map: Kinglake 3763

Milder conditions have led to an improvement in the fire situation across Victoria, just over a week after the blazes that claimed at least 181 lives.

Eighteen fires continue to burn across Victoria.

ABC

There is Video of "The Yanks are Coming" here

Tearful reunion: residents return to charred Marysville - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Plus some other updates

PS More on injured animals. I know and trust this lot

http://www.zoo.org.au/ZVF/Save_Injured_Wildlife

Possibly a billion animals have been killed or injured. Mind boggling numbers.

It is like a nuclear holocaust!