Science Forums

Australia

I got this in the mail today, any truth to it?

An Interesting Debate in Australia

by

Hilmar von Campe

Excerpts from an on going debate in Australia. This is true and can be checked at: http://:www.snopes.com/politics/religion/australia.asp

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia , as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks. A day after a group of mainstream Muslim leaders pledged loyalty to Australia and her Queen at a special meeting with Prime Minister John Howard, he and his Ministers made it clear that extremists would face a crackdown. Treasurer Peter Costello, seen as heir apparent to Howard, hinted that some radical clerics could be asked to leave the country if they did not accept that Australia was a secular state, and its lawswere made by parliament. "If those are not your values, if you want a country which has Sharia law or a theocratic state, then Australia is not for you", he said on National Television.

"I'd be saying to clerics who are teaching that there are two laws governing people in Australia, one the Australian law and another Islamic law that is false. If you can't agree with parliamentary law, independent courts, democracy, and would prefer Sharia law and have the opportunity to go to another country, which practices it, perhaps, then, that's a better option", Costello said.

Asked whether he meant radical clerics would be forced to leave, he said those with dual citizenship could possibly be asked to move to the other country. Education Minister Brendan Nelson later told reporters that Muslims who did not want to accept local values should "clear off. Basically people who don't want to be Australians, and who don't want, to live by Australian values and understand them, well then, they can basically clear off", he said.

Separately, Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques.

Quote: "IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It or leave.I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians."

"However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the 'politically correct' crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Australia." "However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand." "This idea of Australia being a multi-cultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. And as Australians, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle."

"This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom"

"We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!"

"Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture."

"We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us."

"If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like "A Fair Go", then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. By all means, keep your culture, but do not force it on others.

"This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'."

"If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted."

This should be sent to the president and every member of Congress

Hilmar von Campe

I got this in the mail today, any truth to it?

No, highly suss. Although Howard did divide the community in many ways including playing the occasional race card.

John Howard was not PM of Australia in Jan 2008. Even as right wing as he was, he courted the Islamic vote with government aid to Islamic-only schools. One rabid one in Sydney he visited many times.

Himlar Von Campe sounds suspiciously like a Nazi anagram to me.

But the guy does seem to have his own website

E.,G.

Defeating the Totalitarian Lie, Book by Hilmar von Campe, thought provoking intellectual, speaker and author

Terra preta hits the Australian mainstream financial press.

Finally the "penny is starting to drop"

A perfect green solution - in theory

Tuesday, 30 December 2008 | The Australian Financial Review | Brian Toohey

afr.com - The Australian Financial Review

O Gee Yanks

Thanks for this

Ex-Guantanamo detainees may settle in Australia

Sydney Morning Herald - 1 hour ago

Terrorism suspects held at the US military prison in Guantanamo Bay could be secretly resettled in Australia within the year. US authorities have approached Australia and Britain about resettling detainees of the notorious prison, located at a US ...

Australia may take Guantanomo men BBC News

Terror suspects may call Australia home Courier Mail

NEWS.com.au - The Australian - The Canadian Press - Australia Network News

all 492 news articles »

You created these loonies- now you keep them.

If they weren't loonies before, they will be now, after being locked up in a box for 6 years!

The Boyer lectures #1

By most measures—the rule of law, economic performance, and the quality of life—Australians today live in one of the most ideal societies on earth. Indeed, when

The Economist listed the world's ten most liveable cities, Australia had four of them: Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and Sydney.

That is a tremendous achievement, and an advantage in a world competing ferociously for talent and capital.

Here's my worry. While Australia generally does well in international rankings, those rankings can blind us to a larger truth:

Australia will not succeed in the future if it aims to be just a bit better than average.

. . .

In sheer numbers, the emergence of India and China as economic powers and the wealth that they are creating is accompanied by a rise of a new middle class. Over the next 30 years or so, two or three billion people will join this new global middle class.

The world has never seen this kind of advance before.

These are people who have known deprivation. These are people who are intent on developing their skills, improving their lives and showing the world what they can do. And they live right in Australia's neighbourhood.

. . .

In this new world, Australia has many advantages.

These advantages include being an open, democratic and multi-racial society, built on the rule of law. We have great resources as a civil society with a tradition of generosity and support.

. . .

Australians have always been a people who stress equality, who believe that what you make of yourself is more important than where you came from. That's still a good philosophy for a frontier society.

But let's be honest: Tens of thousands of people are going to be deprived of these opportunities if we continue to tolerate a public education system that effectively writes off whole segments of Australian society.

. . .

Today Australia is probably the leading country for freedom in the area of trade that is most restricted around the world—agriculture

. . .

Climate change is another area where Australia needs to lead rather than follow. I'm not sold on the more apocalyptic visions of climate change

. But I do believe that the planet deserves the benefit of the doubt.

. . .

Our emphasis should be on practical solutions.

We cannot address climate change merely with emotion.

. . .

But we need to be more than a reliable partner that the United States can call on. Australia needs to be part of a reform of the institutions most responsible for maintaining peace and stability. I'm thinking especially of NATO.

Though NATO was designed to prevent a land war in Europe, it is now fighting well beyond its borders. As we see in Afghanistan, not everyone is doing their share, and that is a problem too many people want to ignore.

. . .

The establishment of a republic of Australia will not slight the Queen, nor will it deny the British traditions, values and structures that have served us so well. But we are no longer a dependency, and we should be independent.

. . .

Let me leave you today with words I have borrowed from Dorothea McKellar. They are hidden away in her best known poem, but they mean much to me. She describes the land of my birth as: 'An opal-hearted country, a wilful, lavish land. All you who have not loved her, you will not understand.'

Thank you.

Presenter

Rupert Murdoch

Boyer Lectures - 2November2008 - Lecture 1: Aussie rules: bring back the pioneer

Project Rainbow Bee Eater

Jennifer Marohasy Store Carbon as Biochar

Project Rainbow Bee Eater, a consortium of farmers, scientists and engineers claims the Australian Government’s White Paper, which provides the policy framework for the Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme, has not recognized the potential for rapid, very large scale and permanent bio-sequestration of inorganic carbon because the policy document excludes biochar.

Professor Syd Shea, a member of the Rainbow Bee Eater team, said ““the science behind the use of biochar to increase soil productivity and to create a long term, safe carbon sink is well established.”

“Inorganic carbon, which is the major component of biochars made using modern charcoal making technologies, would remain in soils for hundreds to thousands of years.”

“The carbon accounting for biochar is simple and does not require complex soil sampling. The biochar is weighed before we add it to the soil and the content of the inorganic carbon is measured using a simple analysis the coal industry does every day called ‘proximate analysis’.

Each tonne of inorganic carbon in the biochar locks up 3.67 tonnes of carbon dioxide”.

I hope they eat the introduced bee not the little native bee.

The research just keeps stacking up. This carbon trading thing is going to cost a LOT of money and achieve nothing - except make Gore and mates rich :turtle:

AUSTRALIA'S proposed climate change regime would push up food prices, cut inflows to the Murray-Darling and cut agricultural exports if it continues to encourage the development of carbon sink forests.

A research paper co-authored by Mick Keogh and Alex Thompson of the Australian Farm Institute has warned that........ Emissions trading scheme will 'raise food prices, lower exports' | The Australian

Saving the planet by eating kangaroos and wild camels may seem like pie in the sky, but the offbeat menu comes with a scientific stamp of approval in Australia... Put kangaroos, camels on Australian eco-menu: scientists

Dont agree with some of the reasons, though there are some good ideas there.

There are overwhelming arguments for farming and eating Kangaroo in Australia.

They destroy far less earth by compaction; they can cope with the boom-bust nature of the Australian environment; can eat many more australian grasses; are healthier to eat (for humans-low fat) than sheep or cows; and produce virtually no methane.

Kangaroo when properly cooked "pink' is my favourite meat.

Camels? Don't know Never tried it. I am told, because our camels are now genetically different from Arabian Camels, they are getting good prices for breeders in UAR . No doubt for racing

Fauna Farming

Landline - 09/03/2008: Fauna Farming . Australian Broadcasting Corp

Cute & delicious kangaroo

:phones: :earth: :eek2: :) ;) :kangaroo:

'Best job in the world' attracts global attention

'Best job in the world' attracts global attention - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Good promotion but a great job too.

The Great barrier reef is REALLY special.

What can I say. More and more Australians are starting to realise the nonsence behind the pro AGW fundamentalist claims -

NATIONALS Senator Barnaby Joyce should take back comments on emissions trading comparing environmentalists with Nazis, says the Federal Government.

Joyce &squo;out of line&squo; with Holocaust remark | The Courier-Mail

Michaelangelica - did you happen to hear about the threat of 'asian tiger mosquito'? This mosquito has established itself in Torres Strait and could be here soon (here being the entire eastern seaboard). This mozzie can withstand cold and dry periods, and breeds in both urban and non-urban areas. Carries dengue and another potentially fatal disease.

I'm off to Townsville in 3 weeks and am making sure I pack the aeroguard to keep the aedis egypti at bay.

Appeared today in the Noosa News

Hatchery Bass Mutate

by Nicola Kerkenozov

Reports of hundreds of thousands of 2-headed fish developing at a Boreen Point hatchery have prompted a call for the ban of the agricultural chemicals endosulfan and carbendazim.

Fish vetinarian doctor Matt Landos is calling for urgent bans and testing of the chemicals he believes caused the mutation of the hatchlings.

University of Sydney honorary lecturer and research associate said mature bass caught in August from the Noosa River - recently named one of the cleanest waterways in the state - were induced to spawn as part of a restocking program, however, 90% of the larvae had 2 heads and perished within 48 hours.

Carbendazim was removed from use in the U.S. in 2001 for its effects on reproduction in humans.

Endosulphan is also banned in the European Union, US and New Zealand due to damaging environmental impacts.

In Australia these chemicals are legal and registered. Dr Landos believes farmers are using the chemicals carefully but is calling for testing on fish larvae. Up till now toxicology testing has been conducted on adult animals.

Commercial fishermen report a 90% drop in fish numbers since 2001.

Acting premier Paul Lucas said "Fish don't have two heads. They generally have one. Lets not jump to conclusions here. It may be something totally unrelated to farming. It may be a natural genetic variation"

(reminds me a little of Joh that one)

I'm a peak fuels believer and think we need more research on alternatives, though lets use what we currently got going for us in Oz - which is coal.

German polys learned what the voters think about the money wasted on so-called green jobs. The Canadians have learnt - Mr Brown is yet to learn.

A few words from Mr Bolt -

GLOBAL warming believers told us this year to look at the Arctic - and heed the awesome lesson.

And, boy, were they right.

In fact, Liberal leader Malcolm Turnbull especially should check it out, from the North Pole to Canada, which went to the polls last week.

Of course, the reason the religious told us to look north was that they were sure a warming world had reached a deadly "tipping point".

Last year's summer melt had been so fierce that climate scientists warned that the warmed seas gave us a 50-50 chance of an ice-free Arctic this summer.

"It's hard to see how the system may bounce back," fretted Washington University's Ignatius Rigor.

Countless headlines around the world blared this latest "proof " of global warming (which, sshhh, actually halted in 1998). The ABC and Fairfax flew reporter Marian Wilkinson up to file scary reports from an ice-breaker, declaring: "Here you can see climate change happening before your eyes."

Eco-explorer Lewis Gordon Pugh even announced he'd paddle a kayak all the way to the Pole to draw attention to this terrifying loss of ice.

But, oops. Pugh actually had to quit paddling when he found 1000km more ice in front of him than he'd expected.

Indeed, there was at least 9 per cent more Artic ice this summer than last, and the refreeze so far this autumn is so extraordinary there's a third more ice than there was this time a year ago.

Canadians have sure felt this cold, too, enduring a miserable summer.

Perhaps it was this growing mismatch between the heat the alarmists predict and the cool we actually feel that explains the mood of Canadians on election day. Or maybe the financial crash made people suddenly leery about grandiose green promise that costs money and jobs.

Whatever, voters last week gave the Left-wing Liberal Party its worst hiding in a century, returning the Conservative Party of Stephen Harper.

What hurt the Liberals was their promise of a Green Shift – a global warming tax on carbon dioxide emitters, with compensation to the poor for the higher power bills.

Sound a bit like a plan pushed by any government here? An effective tax on emissions from 2010 with compensation for the worst off?

Canada's Prime Minister denounced the Green Shift as a job-killing disaster: forget useless gestures to "save" the planet; save your jobs....

Full article via - Polls shaken by poles | Herald Sun