Science Forums

Australia

Did I tell you I love the CETO wave power thang? I saw that after watching the ABC's great documentary on oil, called "Crude" (free online at the ABC science section). They had this Catalyst special on solutions to global warming and peak oil, and boy did the CETO thang get my attention! :naughty:

hey, me, shouting?

Neil: "You're getting aggressive, I can sense it."

Rick: I AM NOT GETTING AGGRESSIVE!"

(Rick Mayall off Young Ones).

Anyone want to Adopt a Camel or two?

Maybe 80,000?.

They don't need gas, are excellent mathematicians (pure maths), mow lawns, they hardly spit, well bred, intelligent conversationalists. Many are blonde.

New tactics for the camel plague(ScienceAlert)

Scientists hide formula risk

Tuesday, 10 March 2009

Australian National University

By shying away from naming formula in

headlines and abstracts, researchers are

masking its risks from parents.

Formula feeding should be clearly named in research showing its potential health risks to babies, according to a new study.

Scientists hide formula risk(ScienceAlert)

This story shut --even me-- up.

This (fleeting) life

OPINION: Jackie Hartnell | March 07, 2009

Article from: The Australian

This (fleeting) life | The Australian

KATE and Steve lived in their haven on the hill in Toolangi State Forest for just a few months, but it was their place before they even moved in.

Someone else bought the 16ha block when the subdivision took place in the 1950s, and a creative builder constructed an interesting little house of local timber and found objects. These included a couple of stained glass windows, from an old property in the area, that glowed in the setting sun. One wall of the shed was a for-sale sign from the days when that piece of paradise was first on the market. But these people were just caretakers; this small home and its bushy surround awaited Kate and Steve.

It began to show their special touch as they continued what others had begun. Steve replaced the shiny metal handles of the stove with stripped tea-tree branches, polished to a honey gold.

As soon as they had possession and long before they moved in, Kate's green fingers started revitalising the abandoned but once abundant vegie patch. With Steve's mate Johnno they insulated the walls, lining them with panels of another local timber that was tinged with pale pink.

They cleared around the house, got rid of scrubby undergrowth and encouraged the native orchids and indigenous plants to thrive.

The place shone with their loving care. But it wasn't only the house and vegie patch that were renewed; they too thrived in the peace and tranquillity of this tree-filled space far from the noise and bustle of suburbia.

Marley and Ralph, their small canine companions, thought they were in heaven as they roamed the 16ha, unsuccessfully chasing the scents of echidna, kangaroo and possum.

Old friends who were lucky enough to visit them there in those months saw the love Kate and Steve had found for each other and this little piece of Australian bush. Locals who had known them for only the few years they had been together in the Yarra Valley recognised that the couple had found something special.

And I, Kate's mother, was filled with joy that my daughter had found a person and place to love more deeply than she had imagined possible. Her brother Dave and sister Jane were thrilled that their big sis was content and blooming with love.

Now our joy is washed by more tears than we can ever shed.

On Saturday, February 7, 2009, it took just moments for Kate, Steve, Marley and Ralph to die together when the wind changed direction and a wedge of fire raced through their place. It happened so fast, they would not even have known that it was coming.

The announcement of their death, printed alongside the pain of so many others also trying to understand how a moment can take away somuch, says it all: "It was the place they loved. They would not have wanted to be anywhere else."

But the depth of sadness in Dave's eyes while he tries to find solace with his own little family, the intensity of the grief and anger in Jane as she rails against the world and struggles to accept that she will never see her Kate again, and the depth and intensity of my grief also say it all: sweet as memories might be of the happiness they found on that hill in Toolangi, itisn't fair that they died, and our pain will never cease.

[email protected]

For This Life guidelines, go to Lifestyle | Lifestyle News and Features | The Australian.

see also

Tribute to Dad - Star News Group

This story shut --even me-- up.

This (fleeting) life

OPINION: Jackie Hartnell | March 07, 2009

Article from: The Australian

This (fleeting) life | The Australian

KATE and Steve lived in their haven on the hill in Toolangi State Forest for just a few months, but it was their place before they even moved in.

Someone else bought the 16ha block when the subdivision took place in the 1950s, and a creative builder constructed an interesting little house of local timber and found objects. These included a couple of stained glass windows, from an old property in the area, that glowed in the setting sun. One wall of the shed was a for-sale sign from the days when that piece of paradise was first on the market. But these people were just caretakers; this small home and its bushy surround awaited Kate and Steve.

It began to show their special touch as they continued what others had begun. Steve replaced the shiny metal handles of the stove with stripped tea-tree branches, polished to a honey gold.

As soon as they had possession and long before they moved in, Kate's green fingers started revitalising the abandoned but once abundant vegie patch. With Steve's mate Johnno they insulated the walls, lining them with panels of another local timber that was tinged with pale pink.

They cleared around the house, got rid of scrubby undergrowth and encouraged the native orchids and indigenous plants to thrive.

The place shone with their loving care. But it wasn't only the house and vegie patch that were renewed; they too thrived in the peace and tranquillity of this tree-filled space far from the noise and bustle of suburbia.

Marley and Ralph, their small canine companions, thought they were in heaven as they roamed the 16ha, unsuccessfully chasing the scents of echidna, kangaroo and possum.

Old friends who were lucky enough to visit them there in those months saw the love Kate and Steve had found for each other and this little piece of Australian bush. Locals who had known them for only the few years they had been together in the Yarra Valley recognised that the couple had found something special.

And I, Kate's mother, was filled with joy that my daughter had found a person and place to love more deeply than she had imagined possible. Her brother Dave and sister Jane were thrilled that their big sis was content and blooming with love.

Now our joy is washed by more tears than we can ever shed.

On Saturday, February 7, 2009, it took just moments for Kate, Steve, Marley and Ralph to die together when the wind changed direction and a wedge of fire raced through their place. It happened so fast, they would not even have known that it was coming.

The announcement of their death, printed alongside the pain of so many others also trying to understand how a moment can take away somuch, says it all: "It was the place they loved. They would not have wanted to be anywhere else."

But the depth of sadness in Dave's eyes while he tries to find solace with his own little family, the intensity of the grief and anger in Jane as she rails against the world and struggles to accept that she will never see her Kate again, and the depth and intensity of my grief also say it all: sweet as memories might be of the happiness they found on that hill in Toolangi, itisn't fair that they died, and our pain will never cease.

[email protected]

For This Life guidelines, go to Lifestyle | Lifestyle News and Features | The Australian.

see also

Tribute to Dad - Star News Group

» Australian polar research at the close of the International Polar Year

Antarctic sub-glacial mountain range the size of the Alps mapped

$1.5 million boost for whale research

News archive

CENSUS OF ANTARCTIC MARINE LIFE

Australian polar research at the close of the International Polar Year - Australian Antarctic Division

The Duck Stops Here - Birds Australia

Tasmania kicks off duck hunting

Tasmania kicks off duck hunting | smh.com.au

I think three states have started killing. (Vic & SA0 I don't understand this. They would have to be as tasty as a boiled brick. I guess they use shotguns; where is the skill in that?

We have half a million feral camels out there to shoot, and use to feed ,the feral cats, dogs and pigs with. feral deer in national parks would give you abetter feed, but you would need hunting skills for that.

SA

Duck hunt on again - ABC Riverland SA (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

i just received this in the mail. I signed apetetion. Elections must be coming, you usually don't get answers.

If there are images in this attachment, they will not be displayed. Download the original attachment

Page 1

Privacy Statement

Any personal information about you or a third party in your correspondence will be protected under the provisions

of the Information Privacy Act 2000. It will only be used or disclosed to appropriate Ministerial, Statutory

Authority, or departmental staff in regard to the purpose for which it was provided, unless required or authorised by

law. Enquiries about access to information about you held by the Department should be directed to the Manager

Privacy, Department of Sustainability & Environment, PO Box 500, East Melbourne, 3002.

Department of

Sustainability and Environment

8 Nicholson Street

PO Box 500 East Melbourne

Victoria 8002 Australia

Telephone: (03) 9637 8000

Facsimile: (03) 9637 8100

ABN 90 719 052 204

DX 210098

19 March 2009

Mr Michael Angel

Dear Mr Angel,

DECLARATION OF 2009 DUCK SEASON

Thank you for your correspondence regarding the government’s decision to declare a

2009 duck season for Victoria. Your correspondence has been forwarded to me for reply.

The sustainable use of wildlife in Victoria, including duck hunting, is provided for under the

Wildlife Act 1975 and government policy supports duck hunting on this basis.

After considering advice from the Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE),

the Victorian Hunting Advisory Committee and other stakeholders, the Minister for

Environment and Climate Change on 4 February 2009, announced a significantly

restricted duck season for this year.

These restrictions apply to season length, bag limit and species harvested, ensuring that

duck numbers remain sustainable into the future.

Other ongoing strategies adopted by DSE to ensure that no species is put at risk include a

requirement for all duck hunters to pass the Waterfowl Identification Test as a measure of

their ability to identify waterbird species before being allowed to hunt ducks in Victoria.

Under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986, a Code of Practice is in place to

prevent cruelty to game species and protect the welfare of other animals where hunting

occurs. Hunters who operate outside this Code may be prosecuted.

Ref:

CC0008047

“*CC0008047*”

File:

AD/06/3031 2

Page 2

CC0008047

Page 2

DSE will continue to manage duck hunting on the best environmental data available and

will work closely with community groups to ensure that duck hunting is conducted in a

safe, responsible and sustainable manner.

Thank you for your interest in this matter.

Yours sincerely

Kimberley Dripps

Executive Director

Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services

"Unemployment is capitalism's way of getting you to plant a garden."

~Orson Scott Card

Partial to a bit of the Card are you? I liked his blog entries on living in New Urbanism. I reckon we could do with a few less suburbs, and a few more areas like "Glebe" with townhouses, trams, renewable energy nearby... maybe less crime because there is more emphasis on local community, etc.

Never heard of him before Eclipse. But now I will look him up, thanks

Dictionary Wit

Macquarie Dictionary

E.G.s

February 2008

Ms Nardia Duncan

boomerang

a phone call from a baby boomer

January 2008

Mr Nicoll Joshua Pataan

subwoofer

a dog breed that has the ability to 'woof' under water

December 2007

Mr Robert Myers

subordinate clause

Santa's helper

Dear Mac Apple,

I have had your Computers since the Mac +

How about giving us 20+ million Ozzies a go?

If there was a Californian Dictionary -you WOULD use it or Arnie would come back!

Unlike USA dictionaries at least the Australian spellchecker has Obama in it !!

Orson Scott Card is a sci-fi author who wrote one of my favourite books of all time, "Ender's Game." I read it in one sitting. A mate a church also read it in one sitting, and so we became best mates.

It's like a grown up version of Harry Potter, only in space "battle school". And it's dark. Unlike Harry Potter, it is a short read... more like the first Harry Potter book. It's a complete read on it's own right, and resolves nicely. However, there is a whole spin-off series that follows other threads of the story if you become interested.

Now he's a fairly right-wing blogger, but even he makes sense with recommendations for peak oil and New Urbanism.

But my friend has forgotten his history (or, knowing America's educational system, he never knew it). Towns all start bunched up. Even tiny villages bunch up -- for protection, so you know who belongs and who doesn't. The spreading only began with the car....

But my plan would require the developer to build the grocery store into the plan for the village he's building right from the start. The streets would all connect; no cul-de-sacs. There would be sidewalks everywhere, and retail close at hand. It would be a neighborhood from the moment you move in.

Right now, the reason we build in distant, isolated neighborhoods is because they are undesirable and therefore easier to afford. If they were desirable, then that is the land that would be in the most demand, and therefore it would be the most expensive.

Civilization Watch - May 6, 2007 - Oil -- Past the Peak - The Ornery American

Orson Scott Card is a sci-fi author who wrote one of my favourite books of all time, "Ender's Game." I read it in one sitting. A mate a church also read it in one sitting, and so we became best mates.

Civilization Watch - May 6, 2007 - Oil -- Past the Peak - The Ornery American

very interesting thanks

I love E Doc Smith! and Ursula la Guin and Fred Hoyle, Niven & adolescent good fantasy (The Dark is Rising series the Owl Service -less sex sin and sadism). A friend who reads every Sci fi book despairs of me liking EDS.

Of late I have avoided all sci fi as I found it cruel, and depressing. I like fantasy but fortunately i have my daughter who reads everyting, then, letting me know what i can read. Just read a fun one(series) about a rich, teenage detective in fairyland - called ???

At the moment i have just started Terry Pratchett's "Nation" . I have been waiting two years to be given it as a present finally i ordered it in from the Library! TP is my favourite author. After Nation,I will look up your recommendations. There were some recommendations on What are you reading thread too, that I must follow up.

I don't know why I find this funny, but I do, and thought i would like to share it.

Ha ha ha!

Speaking of Niven, did you ever read "Mote in God's eye" about the "Moties", our first contact with an alien civilisation? Or Ringworld? Or Lucifer's Hammer (a Deep Impact scenario) or "Footfall" (alien invasion)? All great novels, just great.

Was not so sure about their combined efforts on Burning city... it took a while to get going, and was quite savage and primitive and raw and ... depressing.

What!?? They've written a sequel to one of my favourites!

The Legacy of Heorot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beowulf's Children - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Burning City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought OSC's quote was apt for the times

I will look him up though thanks for the TU

If this wasn't so tragic it would be funny ;) :-(

Print Email Share Add to My Stories

Thirsty camels 'turning the taps on' in central Australia

Posted Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:00am AEDT

Updated Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:01pm AEDT

* Map: Alice Springs 0870

Camels are coming into communities in central Australia and turning on the taps, the Macdonnell Shire Council says.

The shire has applied to the Federal Government for a $4.5 million slice of infrastructure funding to build camel-proof boundaries around 14 communities.

Thirsty camels 'turning the taps on' in central Australia - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

We are estimated to produce 80,000 new camels this year (More camels than cars?)

We also have a Super Sale on the other 500,000.

They are free (really!) you just have to catch your own

The Arab world can't run out of oil fast enough. Ozzies will be ready for the "Camel-led-economic-recovery". :)

Camels are said to be turning on the taps in communities in central Australia. [File image].

We need a "camel-burger" industry!?

Now, if the techno-utopian "Singularity geeks" are right, maybe in a decade or 2 we'll have a Polywell fusion-powered "Superman ecobot" that can not only round up all those pesky camels, but slaughter them, fly their carcasses to Africa, cook them up and serve camel stew. Or perhaps they'll be lighter than air nano-bots that just dissolve the Camels into fertiliser? (As portrayed in "The Day the earth stood still").

Sadly, with cats & dogs & cane toads & camels & foxes & feral pigs, I can only see Australia leading the world in this planets 6th great extinction event.

And australians didn't think of these because . . .?

Solar cooker wins climate change challenge

Solar cooker wins climate change challenge | Forum For The Future

This is one that has been on sale for years, a bit more high tech perhaps but i would like my food heated to more than 80C

Solar Power Solar Cooker Sun Oven- the worlds best Solar Cooker in Australia

Cook for free Bakes, Boils, Roasts or Steams Any Kind of Food with the Power of the Sun - No Fuel Needed!

No learning curve Create your favorite recipes as you feast upon natural sun baked treats!

Just like your home oven Reaches Temperatures of 360° to 400° F!

Totally Safe - No Danger of Fire - Never Burn Dinner Again!

Versatile, Easy-to-use, Portable as a Small Suitcase!

the SUN OVEN® is the world's most widely used solar oven!

http://www.bonzabuy.com.au/store/product_info.php?products_id=251

Loughborough University, UK

Loughborough University has produced ceiling tiles that can cool rooms with minimal energy use.

Instead of pumping cool air into a room, a false ceiling uses convection to draw warm exhaust air from the room. The air evaporates water held in a wick surface in the tiles, and the tiles cool instantly. Moreover, they don’t clog and the materials don’t degrade, so there are no significant maintenance costs.

The finalists | Forum For The Future