Science Forums

Australia

Bob Brown has called for the government to invest in green energy job creation strategies after BHP Billiton sacks thousands in the mining sector.

Good idea.

We are building the biggest solar collector in the S. Hemisphere, if not the world and

giving grants for home solar units

and

water tanks.

:)

I thought PETA might be on to us Ozzies about this soon; poor, baby Air Kittens

Locusts shrivel in the heat

Thursday, 22/01/2009

Hot weather has killed locust populations in northern Victoria.

Locusts which hatched after January 10 have found it tough to cope with days over 40 degrees and have started to perish.

Warren Medwell, from the Victorian Department of Primary Industries, says once the hot weather hit, juvenile locusts disappeared.

"We had some on grasslands down there, they were there one day and we went back and the little fellas had died by the next day."

Locusts shrivel in the heat - 22/01/2009

(Quoted in full as I own the ABC)

Bloody hot today.

Bit sad seeing how part of the 10 billion handout has been spent -

PROJECTIONS of a record $2.8billion loss by Victorian poker machine users last year have prompted claims the Rudd Government's economic stimulus payments are being poured into the coffers of gaming companies and state governments.

Victorian pokie losses soar in month of handouts | The Australian

Hot here as well... i think its related to all that heating in Antarctica :)

****! When did that happen!:xparty:

A land of "droughts and flooding rains"

Australian Weather Warning Summary

issue time state warning

Sat 18:08 EDT NSW/ACT Severe Storm Warning (Large Hail, Damaging): affecting Tocal and Seaham by 6:40pm, and Nelson Bay by 7:10pm.

Sat 16:40 EST Qld Severe Storm Warning (Damaging Wind, Large Hail, Flash Flooding): affecting Cunninghams Gap by 5:05pm, and Boonah by 5:35pm.

Sat 17:28 EDT NSW/ACT Gale Warning for coastal waters south of Montague Island. Strong Wind Warning from Montague Island to Seal Rocks.

Sat 17:17 EDT NSW/ACT Severe Storm Warning (Damaging Wind/Hail/Rain): Mid N Coast, Hunter, N Rivers, Nth/Central Tablelands, NW/Ctrl W Slopes & Plains, Upper W.

Sat 16:05 EST Qld Severe Storm Warning (Damaging Wind/Rain/Hail): Gulf Country, NW, Northern Goldfields, Central West, Wide Bay, Darling Downs, SE coast.

Sat 14:24 WDT WA Strong Wind Warning for coastal waters from Coral Bay to Geraldton.

Sat 16:10 EDT Tas Gale Warning for the Southwest Coast. Strong Wind Warning for western, northern and eastern coastal waters.

Sat 16:06 EDT Vic Cancellation of Local Waters Wind Warning for Gippsland Lakes.

Sat 15:55 EDT Tas Cancellation of Small Craft Wind Alert.

Sat 15:51 EDT Vic Gale Warning coastal waters east of Wilsons Promontory. Strong Wind Warning for coastal waters between Cape Schnacks and Wilsons Promontory

Sat 11:15 CST NT Flood Advice for Darwin-Daly, Roper-McArthur, Northern Victoria River and Northern Barkly Districts.

Sat 11:24 EST Qld Flood Warning for the Nicholson, Gregory, Cloncurry, Flinders and Norman Rivers.

Sat 10:44 EST Qld Flood Warning for the Diamantina River.

Sat 10:35 EST Qld Flood Warning for the Georgina River and Eyre Creek.

Sat 07:51 EDT NSW/ACT Total Fire Ban for the Greater Sydney Region, Greater Hunter, Illawarra/Shoalhaven, and Lower Central West Plains.

Fri 22:40 EDT Vic Fire Weather Warning. Weather conditions are expected to be conducive towards the rapid spread of fire.

Fri 11:05 CDT SA South Australia Regional Office Flood Advice for Inland Rivers.

Australia Bureau of Meteorology weather warning summary

Stinking hot here now over 70% humidity and feels over 30C

I keep turning off the computer as thunder-storms wander around me. So far not a drop of rain

PS

I knew it was hot

Sydneysiders suffer as temperatures soar

Posted 1 hour 25 minutes ago

More than a dozen people have been treated for heat stress in Sydney as temperatures rose above 40 degrees this afternoon.

The Rural Fire Service says it fought a number of small grass and bushfires which sprung up recently.

A grassfire at Prestons in Western Sydney burnt down two empty horse pens before being out.

A small bushfire at north-west of Sydney near Wiseman's ferry has also been contained.

Efforts to combat a large fire on the New South Wales south coast in a remote part of the Budawang National Park, near Batemans Bay are continuing.

Sydneysiders suffer as temperatures soar - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I think its related to a season 'of fire and flood' in this continent. And I'm affected - I live in a low lying lakes district (the Cooloola) affected by both extremes of the weather. There is a history of violent storms in my area and let me tell you it is frightenning but awesome. Its a time when you have to watch your animals and their and your offspring.

Thinking back to the early 80's we had similar extremes. Ash Wednesday occurred in 1983 and there were others. The economy likewise is reminiscent of that period in time, unemployment peaked at over 10% in 1984. Also 1992-94 was another tough time for many. Its the boom-bust cycle, the goodtimes and the bad times, its how we respond in these times that will make or break us. Generosity of spirit is called for.

Thinking back to the early 80's we had similar extremes. Ash Wednesday occurred in 1983 and there were others. The economy likewise is reminiscent of that period in time, unemployment peaked at over 10% in 1984. Also 1992-94 was another tough time for many. Its the boom-bust cycle, the goodtimes and the bad times, its how we respond in these times that will make or break us. Generosity of spirit is called for.

and a good veggie garden.

Cooloola are you on a map? Are you in the Channel Country?

On Australia day. It would be nice to have little potted biographies of all the people who were given honours and what they did to get them.(& What the honours mean!)

Anyone know where, or if, this is available?

13,000 people took up Australian Citizenship today. One reason banks believe there won't be much movement in house prices. Although lots of cheap investment properties are selling around me.

A healing flower to grow in the desert

An extract from a flowering desert plant used as traditional medicine by Indigenous Australians could one day be used to coat hip transplants and other biomedical devices, researchers say.

Professor Hans Griesser and colleagues are presenting their work at a biomaterials conference at the University of New South Wales in Sydney this week.

"We can learn so much from nature and traditional knowledge," says Professor Griesser, a materials scientist from the University of South Australia.

He says Aboriginal people use leaves of eremophila plants, which grow in Australia's desert areas, to make ointments for skin abrasions and gargles for throat infections.

. . .

He says patents have been taken out but he does not want to sell the technology too early.

. . .

Professor Griesser says Aboriginal-run organic eremophila plantations could be grown on arid land that is of little use to conventional farming

The money gained from this should go toward setting up an Ethnobotany Fund/Trust to pay for more research into Aboriginal medicines. We need to collect a lot of this before the Oldies die.

Also to Outback Aboriginal Health and/or The Flying Doctor

This will give cheer to Michaelangelica,

...Mr Turnbull, who visited Newcastle yesterday, inspected Crucible Carbon and its bio-char technology at the company's Mayfield West research and development centre.

Mr Turnbull's visit came a day after he spoke at the Young Liberals conference in Canberra about the Coalition's new climate change policy, the Green Carbon Initiative.

Investing in technology such as the bio-char machine is part of that policy.

He said Crucible Carbon and its bio-char technology had been neglected by Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and the Federal Government.

Turnbull pushes clean-coal role for region - Local News - News - General - The Herald