Science Forums

Australia

The Oz police can be tough.

Barmaid fined over crushing beer cans between breasts | Herald Sun

No photo with the article sadly.

I could be knuckle dragging and say a fine was a bit hard, tough, strong of the rigid police. Most likely the Vice Squad.

The poor girl has probably had enough hard knocks in her life without this thick-skinned, hard-core police action.

Udderly ridiculous!

Of course, if the can was full & the beer wasted the fine is no doubt fully justified.

Well then I would say 'it depends on the type of beer'

dont cry over spilt XXXX,

J

Thanks for the encouraging comments about this thread.

It is always good to know that someone listen/reads what an old man, with too much time on his hands, has to say

Thank you:)

Now, I have yet to flush out an Australian-Hypography-Conservative BUT

I often think it's comical

How nature always does contrive

That every boy and every gal

That's born into the world alive

Is either a little Liberal

Or else a Little Conservative!

-- Gilbert and Sullivan, Iolanthe, act II, 1882.

but here is what to buy you liberal voting friends for Christmas.

Man of Steel

A cartoon history of the Howard years

Edited by Russ Radcliffe

"After more than a decade in government, Australia’s poltical cartoonists have had plenty of time to examine in minute detail not only every aspect of John Howard’s philosophy and public policies, but also a goodly portion of his power-walking anatomy — from his quivering bottom lip to the swish of his rat-tail."

War on the waterfront, the GST, Pauline Hanson, black armbands, East Timor, children overboard, Tampa, 9/11, war in Afghanistan, war in Iraq, Bali, and IR reform - it's all there in this full-colour alternative history of John Howard’s premiership, as interpreted by Australia’s finest political cartoonists, published by Scribe.

"This is a great collection, and one that makes you grateful there's an election coming. A funny, infuriating document of our times."

- Andrew Weldon (Readings Monthly)

Available now in good bookstores everywhere. RRP $29.95.

Some samples & others

Scratch! Media - recent Hinze cartoons

There are dozens of good cartoons at this site if you have a week to spare!

Scratch! Media - recent Hinze cartoons

Well then I would say 'it depends on the type of beer'

Actually, it probably depends on the implant:

Fremantle, WA: At a splashy and well-endowed roll-out event at the plush Novotel Langley downtown, Ardnok Technologies announced today a major advance in silicon implants.

The new design incorporates the latest in composite materials technology first developed for Australia's America's Cup winning sailboat keel designs, combinging strength with flexibility created specifically for the unique requirements of the food service industry.

"We performed extensive market research in establishments large and small and found a fascinating dilemma conflating between owners seeking to enlarge their sales and personnel seeking protection from the actions of customers, much in the same way that the American's have come down hard on second-hand smoke," said Dick Sizemore, Managing Director of Ardnok. "What we found was a way to enhance the repeat customer ratio of even the smallest establishments, while making their irresistible wares impervious to those few customers who cannot keep their hands off the merchandise."

The new Lukdontuch implants use a sophisticated microprocessor controlled nanoweb support infrastructure with user controllable settings for permissive and non-permissive modalities. The non-permissive modalities include both a virtual taser requiring no physical connectors but delivering incapacitating but non-lawsuit-inducing shocks, as well as a "cartilage-evisceration" mode for "those hand-in-the-cookie jar situations," according to marketing manager Bonnie Lassiter who provided some convincing demonstrations to the collected press at yesterday's announcement. "The latter mode has other uses that may be advantageous to both establishment owners and their employees, however we are prevented from making claims about them due to restrictions by the Department of Health & Ageing." When pressed, Ms. Lassiter admitted that the company has had to provide warnings about the government's "Food and Surveillance" program which may be out to catch proprietors and their servicing personnel who "misapply" the implants.

"Once again, Ardnok is showing the superiority of Australian ingenuity and market elevating high-tech, we believe this product will fill an ample unfilled space in this well-supported market niche," said Mr. Sizemore "Its an absolutely heaving market."

Our hearts were blanketed with it all, and then I took off the blanket and saw, :phones:

Buffy

Omg!

Lol

The creature from the black cup size . . .?

The Oz media is of course lapping it up (another pun?)

I do think a donation is called for; but the publican has got 1+ million in free advertising.

It sounds like a neat trick.

I still don't believe ping pong balls as in the movie "The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert. Now it is a stage show!

It will be interesting how they repeat that trick.

(The movie is great, timeless try to see it)

There are some clever girls in the world.

A*** H***S

Japanese tuna scandal starts to bite

Andrew Darby, Hobart

October 24, 2007

Advertisement

THE multibillion-dollar Japanese southern bluefin tuna scandal is worsening under closer Australian Government scrutiny.

An official investigation has already found that over 20 years Japanese fishers hid an $8 billion overcatch of the highly prized sashimi fish that migrates around southern Australia.

But an international meeting has been told the scale of the overcatch is climbing, Japan's figures still do not add up, and Tokyo is stonewalling attempts to regulate fishing of the critically endangered species.

Japanese tuna scandal starts to bite - National - theage.com.au

I just visited Adelaide yesterday :hal_jackolantern: I flew back this morning, I was only in for a day - the trip was for an uncles funeral (RIP :() so no time to look monomer up.. Still it was a pleasant visit - much good beer and wine was consumed. I hope to go back and have a proper look around some day.

The Australian Flag

Many people believe that the Australian flag should drop the union jack when we decide to grow up and become a Republic

Others feel that the flag is sacred and should not change as Australians fought and died under it.

But the the Yanks have changed their flag lots- every time they grabbed another State.

I don't think we really want to grab New Zealand as another state as has been suggested. We would have no-one to beat at cricket, football, and would have to stop asking them to say "six" and sheep jokes would have to go. Too big a loss I think.

I think this might be a bit much for people to take but

From my Boy Scout days I know the single six pointed star represents the six States of Australia.

What happens when the ACT or Northern territory become States?

The star looses its meaning.

Then we have a nice space for an Aboriginal or Union Jack flag!

Then we can Argue about which should be on top which on the bottom!

The Brits won the war, so should they go first?

The aboriginals were here first, so should they go first?

Personally I like the Union Jack staying because it is part of our history, heritage and English-speaking culture

Some aboriginals and those from everywhere else on the planet might suggest a view of earth from space to represent our multiculturalism?

What do you think?

Anyone got a half decent graphics or "paint' programme to mock up a couple of examples of flags minus, the soon to be redundant, star?

Alcohol Consumption in Australia: A Snapshot, 2004-05

4832.0.55.001 - Alcohol Consumption in Australia: A Snapshot, 2004-05

The increase in those drinking at a risky/high risk level since 1995 has been greater for women than men. From the three surveys since 1995, the proportion of females who drank at a risky/high risk level increased from 6.2% to 11.7%, while for males the increase was from 10.3% to 15.2%, after adjusting for age differences.

Interesting figures.

I thought they would be worse.

Australians head to pub to pray | Video | Reuters.com

I'd probably go to church if it was like this. Only in Oz...

:xparty:

Oct. 29 - Churchgoers in Australia mix beer with the Bible, attending Sunday services at a pub.

Worshippers are read a message from the Bible and are also treated to a meal and coffee.

You can have a beer before or after the church service, and most worshippers say the new environment fits in well with the times.

No broadband (soon!) so can't watch it. But is sounds like a sure fire winner

Some variations on the FLAG theme (below)

I do think aesthetically the aboriginal flag needs to go on top.

They were here first after all:)

Want to help Californians affected by Wildfires?

These links were given to me by an American aquaitance.

I have not checked them myself.

I thought Australians might be sympathetic as they know how terrible bushfires can be.

The Californian Fire seems to have set a new benchmark in severity and terror.

Have we had one worse?

To volunteer or donate, contact the following state agencies and regional Red Cross organizations:´

CA OES, Fire October 2007,

http://www.gov.ca.gov/pdf/press/SDfireinfo.pdf,

Press Room | American Red Cross of Greater Los Angeles,

Donate Now - San Diego/Imperial Counties American Red Cross,

More info from the WELCOME TO CAL FIRE.

Aussies urged to post panties to Burma embassy

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:30am AEST

Updated Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:36am AEST

Special delivery: Protesters are being urged to post women's underwear to Burmese embassies

Special delivery: Protesters are being urged to post women's underwear to Burmese embassies (Getty Images: Carlo Allegri)

A campaign is underway to chastise Burma's military regime, not through dialogue or sanctions, but by flooding the country's foreign embassies with women's underwear, an activist said.

Aussies urged to post panties to Burma embassy - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

BUT how do you collect them??? (!!!)

I don't "GET" the 38c a litre on petrol in Oz.

Plus 10% GST on the final price

A tax on a tax- crazy.

Can business recover any of this?

Doesn't it make EVERYTHING dearer farmer's out puts, cartage, post,exports, ploughing, transport, airfares, postage,delivery of goods etc.

In a county as big as Australia do we really need such an inflationary tax?

It especially hits those in rural areas who have such long way to travel to get ANYWHERE.

I know I am being environmentally politically incorrect as we need to know how much or how little petrol we have left.

Certainly we need to be looking at the heaps of gas we (or chevron- Mobile) has at Gorgon and transfer to gas or to ethanol from Qld. sugar cane.

But

In the meantime, rather than giving the rich income tax cuts, wouldn't it be better to get rid of some, or all ,of this double-tax excise?

It would be deflationary reducing prices, whereas income tax cuts will be inflationary causing interest rates to rise, the dollar to rise, and exports to become less competitive and home repayments higher yet again.

I know we need to be Internationally competitive (Singapore does tax free deals with companies who set up their Asian head Offices there) with corporate taxes

BUT

Does business get a rebate on fuel?

I have looked on the web and got more and more confused.

The only political party talking about it is the nice, but boring, Australian Democrats.

EG

http://www.democrats.org.au/news/index.htm?press_id=5316&display=1

http://www.democrats.org.au/speeches/index.htm?speech_id=1914&display=1

And ponderous government sites

Google Image Result for http://comparativetaxation.treasury.gov.au/content/report/images/10_Chapter_8-75.gif

What do you think?

Is my economic thinking wrong?