Science Forums

Australia

It appears that we have two different types of 'terrorism' laws in Australia.

(1) 'real' terrorism laws where anybody, prime minister, politician, police officer, lawyer or journalist faces arrest and imprisonment for revealing anything about the case to the public.

and (2) 'political/fantasy' terrorism laws where anybody, prime minister, politician, police officer, lawyer or journalist can say what they like in public without any fear that they will be charged or be held accountable for their actions or the truth of their statements.

This is a no brainer, whenever an Australian politician mentions an Australian terrorism case in the media, they just identify themselves as coming from the village of the liers.

It appears that we have two different types of 'terrorism' laws in Australia.

(1) '.

I read a sentence or two in a period detective story that struck a chord with me

"Throughout history, despots have chosen foreign adventures as away of uniting their people behind them.

That way opposition to anything they chose to do could be construed as unpatriotic and be ruthlessly suppressed.

The General considered it to be self evident that the new German Chancellor, like the Kaiser before him, would use mindless xenophobia to distract the German people from troubles at home.

. . .

page 14, "Sweet Poison" by David Roberts.

We love the USA system in Australia and are trying hard to copy it.

Measuring poverty in an era of prosperity

06 March 2006

The first results of research that aims to measure poverty in a new way were released today (Monday 6 March). The research highlights the problems facing low-income Australians who have missed out on the benefits of Australia's growing economic prosperity.

. . .

"Although some Australians have experienced huge increases in their wealth as the economy has grown, this study provides a bleak assessment of the circumstances of people whom economic prosperity seems to have passed by."

UNSW: The University of New South Wales - Sydney Australia - News - Measuring poverty in an era of prosperity

brotherhood of st lawrence

Brotherhood of St Laurence - Measuring poverty in an era of prosperity

Lack of money was identified as a constant problem, but money was not everything, and other problems encountered by participants in the study included:

* Having to wait for so long to see a dentist that their job prospects were affected by the poor state of their teeth.

* Declining mental health and lack of support services in the community.

* Not having a car, and being unable to work at nights because of lack of public transport, particularly in outer urban and rural areas.

* Being unable to find a few hundred dollars for a training course to improve their employability.

* Experiencing a loss of self-confidence and dignity due to the treatment by government agencies.

Australia will face poverty crisis says expert

By Emma Kemp and Elle Curran

Australia is set to face a poverty crisis in the next few years despite government reports of the lowest ever unemployment rate, Anti-Poverty Week founder, Julian Disney says.

He said he thought politicians and the media, who are promoting a false economic prosperity, were misleading the Australian public on the rate of poverty.

“So we are living in a fools’ paradise at the moment… Poverty in Australia is going to get pretty nasty in the next few years,” said Professor Disney in an interview for NewsDay.

UTS NewsDay

A Senate report

This examination of poverty and disadvantage in Australia was undertaken for two reasons.

Firstly, there is growing evidence within our community that the strong economic gains of the last two decades have not been shared fairly. While our economic indicators have continued to reach upwards, so has the level of inequality, poverty, homelessness and housing stress, long term unemployment, suicide and child abuse.

Parliament of Australia:Senate:Committees:Community Affairs References Committee:A hand up not a hand out: Renewing the fight against poverty (Report on poverty and financial hardship) - $PageTitle$

Casual Work Linked to Poverty

The plight of young people in poverty is now so serious that urgent national action is needed which goes well beyond extra funding, according to one of Australia's leading welfare organisations.

Mission Australia (MA) has told the Senate Inquiry into Poverty that there are more than 145,000 young Australians, aged 15-24, living in poverty.

Casual Work and Youth Poverty in Australia

A large increase in part-time and casual work is creating a new class of 'working poor' - people whose incomes did not cover their living costs and work-related expenses.

Casual Work Linked to Poverty

Some good news on the science front

Synchrotron Opens in Australia

Synchrotron Opens in Australia

Ads by Google

It's as big as a football stadium and it's the newest jewel in Australia's scientific crown. The 3GeV third-generation synchrotron Australian Synchrotron was officially opened today in Victoria.

Until now Australian scientists wishing to conduct experiemental research with synchrotrons had to travel internationally to use other facilities from around the world

Wow this is shocking today. Hotter with higher humidity. Well it was 29 degrees for both locations.

Looks like rain relief coming into eastern states next week, of the rain band might approach from tropics. Looks a bit of large monsoonal burst.

Where are you

it has suddenly got warm here too

I just discovered a new sensation - dribbling sweat

More politics/ justice/ law

We really don't deserve democracy. We should just become another American State.

I have always admired Justice Kirby

Judge's fury at terror 'surrender'

Natasha Robinson | August 03, 2007

MICHAEL Kirby has unleashed a scathing attack on his High Court colleagues for siding with the Howard Government on terror laws, declaring the exceptional powers threaten to do more damage to the nation than any terrorist acts on Australian soil.

'Attractive to extremists': Joseph Thomas, at his house in Werribee, Victoria, yesterday is subject to a control order

In a dissenting judgment arguing against continued monitoring of a terror suspect awaiting trial, Justice Kirby branded the willingness of a majority of the High Court to depart from a traditional interpretation of the Constitution's defence powers a "mistake" that would be viewed with "regret and embarrassment" by future generations.

In the 5-2 judgment delivered yesterday, the High Court ruled that the Howard Government's control-order regime -- enacted by parliament in 2005 to monitor terror suspects -- fell within defence powers granted to the commonwealth under the Constitution.

The failed High Court challenge was brought by terror suspect Joseph Terrence Thomas, who allegedly participated in terrorist training in Pakistan.

Mr Thomas is the first Australian to be placed under an interim control order, which subjects him to an overnight curfew, requires him to report to police three times a week, and bans him from contacting proscribed terrorist organisations.

Yesterday's verdict is the first time the High Court has condoned an extension of the power of the state outside a time of war, and reflects an acceptance by the majority bench of extraordinary government powers to combat what the commonwealth described as a "new and evil" threat to Western civilisation.

The federal Government placed a control order on Mr Thomas last August following a Victorian Court of Appeal decision to quash his conviction for providing resources to a terrorist organisation.

The interim control order was granted by magistrate Graham Mowbray in a highly unusual Sunday sitting of the Federal Magistrates Court in the absence of Mr Thomas's lawyers.

The police submitted that Mr Thomas, who had allegedly received weapons training from al-Qa'ida, was "vulnerable", "attractive to extremists" and an "available resource that can be tapped into to commit terrorist acts on behalf of al-Qa'ida or related terrorist cells".

MORE HERE

Judge's fury at terror 'surrender' | The Australian

Schwarzenegger Wins Australian Environment Award visit site

Environment (tags: conservation, climate, environment, government, pollution, science, water, eco-friendly )

Michael

Arnold Schwarzenegger was announced as the winner of the Banksia International Award, recognising the huge inroads the Californian Governor has made in generating environmental discussion and taking action to halt climate change both in the United States

How does this happen?

I thought he was a fachist neo-con

What happens to the money Chevron Mobile gave him?

Do they now have a contact out on him?

Schwarzenegger wins Australian environment award

Posted: 23 July 2007

Tools: Print article | Email a friend | Search Archive | RSS Feeds

Arnold Schwarzenegger was announced as the winner of the Banksia International Award, recognising the huge inroads the Californian Governor has made in generating environmental discussion and taking action to halt climate change both in the United States and around the world.

“Governor Schwarzenegger’s commitment to the environment and in leading the United States’ charge against climate change is the reason he has received this award from a competitive field,” said Graz van Egmond, executive director, Banksia Environmental Foundation.

“It is Mr Schwarzenegger’s ability to embrace the issues of the environment and climate change and put them in front of people who can initiate progress. It is wonderful to see a popularly elected politician taking environmental problems seriously, developing ideas to solve these problems and then taking action to implement them.”

The Banksia International Award was created by the Banksia Environmental Foundation in 1995 to identify and celebrate extraordinary individuals or organisations that are making a significant contribution to improving the environment on a global scale.

Previous winners of the Banksia International Award include Lord John Browne, group chief executive BP, Dr Sylvia Earle, oceanographer and Sir David Attenborough.

Australia’s swimming champion and environmentalist, Ian Thorpe, presented at the awards and discussed the importance of recognising environmental achievement in Australia.

The award categories reflect the major environmental issues facing Australia, including climate change, water preservation, land and biodiversity, sustainable development practices and minimising energy usage.

http://mail.google.com/mail/

I read a sentence or two in a period detective story that struck a chord with me. . .

page 14, "Sweet Poison" by David Roberts.

Hello Michaelangelica,

Talking about sweet poison, it seems that Kevin Rudd has exposed his factional support.

While 83% of federal coalition supporters and 38% of federal ALP supporters (not including the Labor lawyers who are totally opposed) think that the federal governments handling of the Haneef saga is acceptable, what about the other 62% of the ALP supporters?

Are we going from 'Howards Battlers' to 'Rudds Rightwingers'?

Surely this positions the ALP leadership clearly to the (how far?) right of center and at odds with the majority of its supporters.

Not sure I understand your point

Strange figures but true eh!

Looks like we have the "terrorists under the bed" thing going well, at least with liberal voters.

My 87 YO MIL is terrified but she listens to Alan Jones all day.

Even I have been reported a possible terrorist to the Federal Police

The only left wing party in Australia today is the greens followed closely by the democrats and surprisingly just after labor the family First!! with the libs and nationals keeping the right intact.

Pity the libs are getting rid of their recalcitrant back benchers -with real liberal values -and getting into bed with fundamental Christians.

Although these days everything seems to be run by focus groups!

I don't think anyone can afford to look too radical. They all need to look like the they occupy centre ground. Although Howard is doing some strange, headline grabbing, things at the moment like plucking a "needy' hospital out of a medical system that is in collapse.

Ruddock told me, when he was young and not a fascist, that you always need to look more conservative than you are to the members in the Liberal Party. How much more conservative can you look than building a $60mil empty jail on Christmas Island. What's that for? The poor bastards trying to escape wars we started?

National Chart Summary

Hrmmm summery weather???

First daffodil out today (very late)
/forums/images/smilies/banana_sign.gif

Jasmine pollyanthus will be out (tomorrow) Might put a"first"claim into ABC.

Do you get the feeling it will be a stinking hot summer?

I don't think I can save up the money for wonderful, global warming Air Conditioner this year. My daughter wants to do another degree!

Clarke and Dawe were very funny tonight.

I missed most of it but can't find a transcript

First daffodil out today (very late)
/forums/images/smilies/banana_sign.gif

Jasmine pollyanthus will be out (tomorrow) Might put a"first"claim into ABC.

I don't think I can save up the money for wonderful, global warming Air Conditioner this year. My daughter wants to do another degree!

Clarke and Dawe were very funny tonight.

I missed most of it but can't find a transcript

I had some out last week :) plus the iris's!

Forecast for Saturday

Fine and sunny. Moderate to fresh west to northwest winds. Light local afternoon northeast seabreezes near the coast.

Fire danger: Very High

Lismore: Fine, sunny. Min: 6 Max: 29

Cape Byron: Fine, sunny. Min: 14 Max: 25

Grafton: Fine, sunny. Min: 6 Max: 29

Forecast for Sunday

Fine. Light to moderate westerly winds, tending light northeast near the coast in the afternoon.

Lismore: Fine. Min: 4 Max: 26

Forecast for Monday

Fine. Southeast to northeast winds.

Lismore: Fine. Min: 3 Max: 25

Forecast for Tuesday

Isolated showers. Southeast to northeast winds.

Lismore: Chance shower. Min: 7 Max: 22

Very summery days here now. Was 28.5 today. Looks like gonna hit 30's tomorrow! Showers next week! :dust:

Yes! :shrug:

I can't believe how warm it is, and we've had hardly any rain. I was just thinking this morning that we (in Adelaide) haven't had any thunderstorms this winter, and we're lucky if it actually rains for more that a few hours.

I think we're all in for some severe water restrictions again.

• 2 weeks later...
Saturday 18 August 2007

Listen Now - 18082007 | Download Audio - 18082007

* 00:00: Cane toad control Read Transcript

* 05:50: Crisis for frogs Read Transcript

* 17:46: GM techniques used to increase salt resistance in cereal crops Read Transcript

* 24:18: Kevin Fewster leaves the Powerhouse Museum Read Transcript

* 32:50: Foundational Questions in Science Institute conference Read Transcript

Saturday 11 August 2007

Listen Now - 11082007 | Download Audio - 11082007

* 00:00: Scramjet Read Transcript

* 04:56: Attracting students to science Read Transcript

* 11:43: Antibiotics and intensive chicken farming in New Zealand Read Transcript

* 21:34: Scepticism in science Read Transcript

* 36:50: How trees react to increased carbon dioxide Read Transcript

* 45:36: The end of slavery Read Transcript

* 50:20: The DNA Shoah Project Read Transcript

Science Show