Science Forums

Australia

Rabbits breeding like crazy, but that's business

By Sarina Locke

Monday, 29/10/2007

If you had to breed anything, with a guarantee that it will multiply quickly; naturally, you'd choose rabbits.

The meat rabbit industry in Australia has been expanding rapidly, doubling production between 1999 and 2003, according to RIRDC figures. A CSIRO report says "In 2003 an estimate of production by farmers was in the order of 270 tonnes per annum or $2.5 million farm gate value." (figures: Farmed Rabbit Industries of Australia Meeting, February 2004).

There is a rabbit farm at Bredbo south of Canberra, and also a relatively new one at Lake Bathurst, south of Goulburn.

Julie and John Arbalis have about 200 bunnies, ranging over a well-fenced, one-acre paddock at Lake Bathurst.

There are new zealand whites, belgian giants, crusaders and a dutch giant.

. . .

Recipe: Stifado - Rabbit stew

* Brown your rabbit pieces in olive oil (1-1.5kg)

* throw in 1kg small pickling onions

* 5 grated fresh tomatoes (or a tin)

* 1/2 cup wine

* cinnamon

Rabbits breeding like crazy, but that's business. 29 Oct 2007. Rural Online. (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Mad Max fanatics roar into Broken Hill

Friday, 02/11/2007

Old and new Australian films are being shown in the bush communities of far west New South Wales over the next few nights.

The Australian Film Commission's Big Screen tour is bringing cinema to the outback, and the headline act for the region is undoubtedly Mad Max II.

Mad Max fanatics roar into Broken Hill - 02/11/2007

The Tasmanian Pulp Mill

Look while I think the Tamar Valley in Tasmania is not the best place for a pulp mill.

&

I don't trust Gunns to be environmentally responsible.

Aren't we just duck shovelling?

We will have to import our paper from somewhere.

Some poor hovel in Indonesia or China where we have no control over how it is produced.

Why should we sell them wood-chips and pulp?

It is a bit like selling uranium without controls.

Aren't we better making paper here where we can control its poisoning of the planet?

Or

Who is going to be the first to renounce paper of all forms?

SEE

View topic - Medicinal plants and toilet paper - Permaculture discussion forum

:computerkeys:

This new Aussie invention should sell well in the States?

Bullet Proof Material Applies Nanotechnology to Rebound, Not Spread, Force Of Bullet

ScienceDaily (Nov. 1, 2007) — Engineers in Australia have designed a new bullet proof material which actually rebounds the force of a bullet.

Bullet Proof Material Applies Nanotechnology to Rebound, Not Spread, Force Of Bullet

Everyone subscribing to the mushrooms or drugs threads might like to rush out to the nearest Toy Store for some 'Magic beads'

Bindeez toy banned amid GHB drug claim

The World Today - Tuesday, 6 November , 2007 12:21:00

Reporter: Sabra Lane

PETER CAVE: The New South Wales Government has temporarily banned the sale of a popular children's toy because a compound found in the so called magic beads closely resembles the illegal hallucinogenic drug known as GHB (gammahydroxybutyric).

A two-year-old and a 10-year-old were admitted to a Sydney hospital over the past week and a half, after swallowing beads from the Bindeez brand of toy. The children wer

The World Today - Bindeez toy banned amid GHB drug claim

As the Jesuits say "Get them young and you've got them for life".

The view of the USA from here

My system is not fast enough to check but I hope this was on "Chaser" a street poll on Yanks about 9/11

You just want to slap the stupid off them! American 9/11 Quiz « The Paua Palace

From that link, I found this link:

Are we jealous or do we hate America? and Why? « The Paua Palace

I found it an interesting read...

I'd be interested in hearing feedback from the Oz folk here, as well as Americans and other nationalities.

I'd be interested in hearing feedback from the Oz folk here, as well as Americans and other nationalities.

Yes it was an interesting read.

Personally the only time I have been angry about America (USA) is when they locked up an Australian citizen without due process, habeas corpus, Geneva convention etc.

It is far too hard to generalise about a country but the USA does surprise and disappoint me from time to time. (So too does my own country. I am much angrier about the Howard regime than Bush's regime.) I guess the level of patriotism and trust of elected officials I find surprising. Australians (I think?) are a bit more cynical.

Surprised that ANY American could not remember the date of 9/11 or roughly how many casualties there were.

I am a bit scared of the USA looney, illogical right-wing Christians with political agendas. (Although it is interesting how many are turning "green" these days).

I am saddened by things like "fair trade" which isn't.

Saddened by Bush's seeming Christian 'Jihad' agenda in the middle east.

Saddened by the lack of world leadership and leading by example on democratic, justice, health, social issues and sometimes duplicitous foreign policy.

Saddened that so much money is spent on the Military.

Saddened that our own artists and writers and actors and film writers don't get to tell our story and so much of what we see in Theatres is American.

Surprised at how important "How others see you" is important to you; yet how little notice you take of it.

For example Look here

United States – Australia Relations

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/irc/us-oz/2007/10/03/USSCmr.pdf

A lot of time and energy is exerted on the question.

However, almost as many (73%) saw Australia as more of a target because of its decision to join the US in the ‘war on terror’.

In addition, 48% of respondents endorsed the idea that it would be better for Australia’s national interests if we were to act more independently of the US.

This contrasts with a 1975 opinion poll showing only 26% wanting a more independent relationship.

This (above) this is probably more a result of the feeling among many on the left of politics, that we have been tricked into supporting the war in Iraq.

If the USA was consistent in foreign policy and attacked repressive (esp. Islamic) regimes with WMDs they would be invading Pakistan now instead of sending billions $ in aid and covert funds.

Scratch another Australian and you would get a different opinion.

Most Aussies, I think, would say, about the USA, "It is a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there".

From that link, I found this link:

Are we jealous or do we hate America? and Why? « The Paua Palace

Im happy to oblige.

Lines like "..we do however feel America is self absorbed, isolationalist and disrespectful.." give a good overview of initial impressions. But who is this 'we' they talk of? I have had no personal experience with american public except through these forums, thus I myself dont deduce the above description. I think there are to many people out there that are being anti-american. Certainly I have no reason to envy americans, Im not jealous but I also have no reason to hate them either. Hate is wasted energy.

Hi Freeztar,

The problem isn't the people, it's the politicians, world wide. The people aren't being given enough unadulterated and unspun information to make an informed choice in their democratic elections.

Also, there aren't enough decent people going into politics anymore, who are prepared to say what they feel, and it is showing in the quality of decisions being made.

In the case of Australia we have the case of the Indian Dr Haneef who was held on fabricated charges by our government, the same government who ripped up his work visa when their trumped up charges were rejected by our legal system. And what does our current opposition leader and future Prime Minister do when all this bull is revealed? Does he change his mind and agree with all of the lawyers in his political party? No, he prefers to ignore this moral hazard because he wants to be able to pull the same type of stunt when he's in power, just like the neo Pakistan Dicator and our current PM.