Science Forums

Do you remember...?

Boerseun

Cigarette smoke was thought to be good for your lungs.

All teachers were like gods.

Milk was delivered right to your doorstep.

Buying eggs every week at a farm just outside of town.

Taking down the flag down at night was mandatory.

Men carried handkerchiefs, and used them.

Communion rails and latin.

Suicide doors on cars.

Cars with no AC.

Opening your beer with the pointy end of the "church key".

Your neighbor could burn anything they wanted in their back yard and pour anything they wanted onto the ground or into the water.

Smoking on airplanes.

Smog so thick it looked like a plane could land on it.

Nuclear attack drills at school and the neighbor digging a survival shelter in his back yard.

Slide rules and those sexy leather cases that clipped to your belt.

Pocket protectors.

Going to the town ice plant. (where they made ice, silly)

Girls wearing bobby pins in their hair.

Erector Sets

Lincoln Logs

Black and White TV: and these people:

--Jack Paar, Andy Divine, Sid Caesar, Steve Allen, Jack Benny, George Burns & Gracie Allen, Red Skelton, Ed Sullivan

The "Tom Corbett, Space Cadet" series of kid's books.

"Boy's Life" -- the magazine you got in the Boy Scouts.

Royal and Corona typewriters

Royal Crown Cola (5 cents)

Gasoline at 25 cents a gallon (1969)

The hit song, "Telstar"

My father.

Opening doors to get into the Supermarket. Now they are automatic at the convenience stores. How about the mats that triggered the doors to open, now they are all with area sensors of some sort.

Clerks at the store keying in all the prices. They moved product with one hand and bagged all in one motion while constantly keying in prices with the other hand.

My mom forcing us to stay outside until the streetlights were on. In the summertime we were not allowed in the house at all, except for meals or if it was raining.

Thinking that the garbage man had the coolest job int the world because he got to ride on the back of the garbage truck!

Climbing to the top of a tall tree at night so we could watch a rated R movie through binoculars playing at the drive-in half a mile away.

A group of six boys lighting one firecracker and running like mad so the cops wouldn't catch us!

Living with a swimsuit on from June to September. Sneaking into people's pools when they were not home.

A big pile of dirt was a kingdom to be ruled!

AM was what most cars got for radio. And you used those buttons to preset the dial. When you pressed a button is slid the tuner into that position. You had to press them hard to get them all the way in.

Jumping from seat to seat and over the divider in the back of the station wagon because all the seat belts were stuffed into the crack. The baby riding on the hump up front.

Riding with the tailgate of the station wagon open. Or even riding in the back of a pickup truck on the highway! Worst wind ever.

Pizza was a treat.

Sneaking my tomato plant that I started in a styro-foam cup in Kindergarten into California when we moved there (we hid it under a blanket and lied to the man at the border about having plants). Eating tomatoes out of the garden in San Jose from my plant.

Taking in stray animals and begging my parents to let us keep them.

I could write this stuff for hours...

Bill