Science Forums

Who am I??

IrishEyes

a non beliving christian

Can one really be considered a Christian without believing? I was baptised at birth (I obviously didn't have any say in the matter!), but I regard myself as an atheist because I don't believe in any deity.

I even choosed to make the confirmation...reason if maybe one day I have would have a christian girlfriend

It's interesting that you would do this, and I understand your reason. But is any religious act really valid (as viewed by the practitioners of that particular faith, and in the eyes of the ruling deity) if one does not truly believe? I have attended many weddings in churches, and I find the ceremonies very beautiful, but they hold no spiritual meaning for me. Therefore, I would also not get married in a church - I suppose that would necessarily limit my choice of partners!

Mr. Owl, how many licks does it take to turn an intro forum into a religious debate? :)

I am actually Catholic, but I would consider myself a searching non-denom, really. Not sure where I stand - I suppose more along the lines of agnostic, questioning, pondering, etc. I love the fact that there are so many on both sides in this forum.

Irish, I know that you started this quite some time ago, but I also really admire that you served in the Navy. (my bro is a nuke in the navy) Not to mention that six children is an amazing accomplishment, and I'll bet you look forward to big, family thanksgivings over the years (I do!). I don't often see you post (at least, not recent ones) so I hope to see more of what you have to say.

i'm forced to be a student of engineering eventhough i'd like to be a physics graduate. physics was such an amazing influence on me after my high school gratuation. afterall, i had to let it go for the sake of my career and joined the engineering faculty. i found this website accidently as i was searching for religious documents, anyway i'm a buddhist or i've a true faint in it. i like to read science, religious books and newspaper, and i have played online chess too for 4 years. :) ;) ;)