Science Forums

When God sanctions violence, believers act more aggressively

C1ay

Reading violent scriptures increases aggressive behavior, especially among believers, a new study finds. The study by University of Michigan social psychologist Brad Bushman and colleagues helps to illuminate one of the ways that violence and behavior are linked.

"To justify their actions, violent people often claim that God has sanctioned their behavior," said Bushman, faculty associate at the U-M Institute for Social Research and lead author of the article published in the March 2007 issue of Psychological Science. "Christian extremists, Jewish reactionaries and Islamic fundamentalists all can cite scriptures that seem to encourage or at least support aggression against unbelievers."...

The work also supports the view that exposure to violent scriptures may induce extremists to engage in aggressive actions. "It's important to note that we obtained evidence supporting this hypothesis in samples of university students who were, in our estimation, not typical of the terrorists who blow up civilians," Bushman wrote. "Even among our participants who were not religiously devout, exposure to God-sanctioned violence increased subsequent aggression. That the effect was found in such a sample may attest to the insidious power of exposure to literary scriptural violence."...

More at the University of Michigan....

More evidence that religion and the bible are obstacles to peace...

I wonder if it is true for the average, or only true for the extremes. In other words, it could be that religious extremists are highly violent, but moderate religious people are less violent than average. I don't doubt that religion can be used as an excuse for terrible things, but so can patriotism, or loyalty to almost any group.

Well, the article concludes:

According to Bushman and colleagues, this does not mean that reading the scriptures leads to aggression. "Violent stories that teach moral lessons or that are balanced with descriptions of victims' suffering or the aggressor's remorse can teach important lessons and have legitimate artistic merit. But taking a single violent episode out of its overall context, as we did in these studies, can produce a significant increase in aggression."

Reasonable people should realize that context is important. Extremist try to get the average person to ignore the context as they excerpt select portions of scriptures to try and work their audience into a frenzy. Me thinks it is less true for average people but not totally false. If they are immersed in the crowd the mob mentality will affect their ability to rationalize and they will behave more like the extremist chanting and egging them on....

• 3 weeks later...

Who says God sanctions violence? From the evidence I have it isn't God but some 'authority figure', that others can hide behind, to say that they have the right to do what they do. Instead of admitting individual responsibility for their actions, God, the Pope, The Prophet, Hitler (I was only doing my job)are always cited instead by moral cowards, hiding behind somebody else - it happens not only in churches but in courtrooms 'It's my parents/ societies fault that I'm the way I am'. In Strange Claims is a post by Rude, saying that nw is the border of reality and that from this viewpoint we all make our choices where we direct our lives. This is being an adult about existence. The thugs and bully boys of this world, whether gangsters, rebels against authority, gang members or extremists (religious or political) are just trying to avoid taking responsibility for their own choices and actions, and as such are just to be seen as immature pretenders, rathers than confident, knowledgeable, creative adults. It never was and never will be about ideals but reality. Who are you? (If you think Jesus or any other religious leader is the enemy, think again - this is why Christ said 'Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone because he was a master of moral science and meant sop pretnding that you are better than ayone else i.e. have the right to lord it over others and use any excuse possible as outside authority to do them harm).

Who says God sanctions violence? From the evidence I have it isn't God but some 'authority figure'...
How would we know what God sanctions if it weren't for the "authority figure?"

And would it be any different if the believers were "told directly by God?"

Key point here of course is the *effect* of first-, second- or nth-person contacts publicizing the "sanction from God" is what causes other believers to act more violently, not whether God herself *actually* sanctions anything...

All you need is a collar,

Buffy

Who says God sanctions violence?

Only the Bible. In the Bible, God sanctions murder, jihads, mass executions, genocide, infanticide, etc.

If you think Jesus or any other religious leader is the enemy, think again - this is why Christ said 'Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone because he was a master of moral science and meant sop pretnding that you are better than ayone else i.e. have the right to lord it over others and use any excuse possible as outside authority to do them harm).

Why is it that so many people consider Jesus to be morally right? He sanctioned the condemnation of billions to eternal torture. How is that just?

I wonder if it is true for the average, or only true for the extremes. In other words, it could be that religious extremists are highly violent, but moderate religious people are less violent than average. I don't doubt that religion can be used as an excuse for terrible things, but so can patriotism, or loyalty to almost any group.

Very true, Dave. If one considers the Bible as your only source, and build a religion based on it, you can 100% justifiably be:

a) A sect promoting incest, polygamy, mass-murder, superstition, etc.

:eek2: A sect promoting caring, love, charity and tolerance

c) etc.,

d) etc.

It's all in the interpretation, and the Bible and similar books of religious foundation like the Quran and the Talmud are so vague and open to completely diametrically opposed points of view that one can't but doubt the actual value and use of such scriptures.

It's all in the interpretation, and the Bible and similar books of religious foundation like the Quran and the Talmud are so vague and open to completely diametrically opposed points of view that one can't but doubt the actual value and use of such scriptures.

Ahh, but this is precisely what makes them valuable; valuable both to those with good and bad intentions. The Bible, as we know, lends itself to be molded to suit the needs or values of the interpreter. This is why there are so many denominations just within the protestant side of Christianity. People move from church to church searching for the interpretation or message that suits their own needs or belief system.

This is the actual point of the study. The increase in violent behavior attributed to an interpretation, and focus on a particular aspect of the scripture as justification. To me, this study is really about the state of humanity and not so much a statement about God or scriptures. And while the study may show a current resurgence in this type of reptilian brained behavior, it has been perpetually played out and documented throughout the course of religious time.