Science Forums

The Hypo TGIF Thread

Tormod

I have the Geek.com catalogue in my loo.

So far I have a Sonic Screwdriver and a Black Knight Doll (from them or Monty Python?).Nice bits of blood when you pull the arms and legs off.

The annoy o tron I feel would be banned under the Geneva Convention. Definitely cruel and unusual torture.

Ever heard of a merkin? Checkit out...

HILARIOUS.

Scary bit is that we're sharing a planet with people who feel the need to wear pubic wigs!!!

Well. . no. . . but I have heard of it now.

Did I really neeeed to know that? :bwa:

Wiki's example of a bright pink one, is eye catching- to say the least. :shocked:

So if you were catching lice what else were you catching? :jab: :Alien:

I note there are other uses for the word. :D

On certain Usenet groups, "merkin" or "'merkin" can be used to refer to Americans in general, especially those who exhibit "ugly American" tendencies. The term is derived from a phonetic rendering of "American." This usage is fully aware of the standard definition.

I wonder if I can use the word for anyone who REALLY annoys me? :ebomb:

• 2 weeks later...
Someone in the building next to me just threw their computer monitor out the window. I just so happened to see it hit the parking lot. It must have dropped at least four stories. The first thing that came to my mind.....

.....Annoy-a-tron. :shrug:

(This is the honest truth)

:)

:lol:

The saga continues... (wait...hold on...can't st..op...lau...ghing...phew...ok...)

My brother planted some more annoy-o-trons around the office and the best story I've heard so far is that one guy disassembled his computer three times (this is a financial firm, not IT). ;)

This thing is potent!

It's almost like a subterfugal weapon. :(

"Have a workaholic workmate that's stealing all your glory?

Never fear! The annoy-o-tron will help you rid your co-worker of their -aholic tendencies. WARNING! May cause temporary or permanent insanity! :hihi:

• 3 weeks later...

So, I learned here that today is "Talk like a physicist day."

Talk Like A Physicist | Talk Like A Physicist 3.14

Just for today, think of everything related to light in terms of photons. When you see light, think of all the photons coming to you. When you see red rose, think of all the different kinds of photons going to the rose and only the specific kind (the red wavelength one) coming back to you.

He went on to offer some help. :clue:

If anyone needs some pointers:

Use “canonical” when you mean “usual” or “standard.” As in, “the canonical example of talking like a physicist is to use the word ‘canonical.’”

Use “orthogonal” to refer to things that are mutually-exclusive or can’t coincide. “We keep playing phone tag — I think our schedules must be orthogonal”

“About” becomes “to a first-order approximation”

Things are not difficult, they are “non-trivial”

Large discrepancies are “orders of magnitude apart”

Refer to coordinates and coordinate systems. “I got shafted” becomes “I took one up the z-axis

It goes on... :)

For Today's TGIF suggested link, I give you Empty and Meaningless. Really a neat and trippy documentation on the canonical modeling of Life as a functional matrix of experience and religion, yielding eigenvalues of Empty and Meaningless; and how these eigenvalues can be used in a quasi-Fourier transform to produce Life Functions that assymptotically fit any desired curve. :hihi:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
In science, getting something named after you is like getting the winning touchdown at the Super Bowl or being employed as personal gigolo to Scarlett Johansson.

An unfair comparison. The latter would be far easier and Im sure school kids in 400 years wouldnt have heard of you ;)

YouTube - I Will Derive! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9dpTTpjymE

And just like that when I had given up all hope,

I said nope, there’s just one way to find that slope.

And so now I, I will derive.

Find the derivative of x position with respect to time.

It’s as easy as can be, just have to take dx/dt.

I will derive, I will derive. Hey, hey!

...Think you're Manly?...The 9 Manliest Names in the World...

You bastard!!!!!

My jaw hurts.

I have tear-stains on my favorite silk tie.

I cracked a rib.

I soiled myself.

I had co-workers peering around the corner and asking if I was okay.

I had co-workers complaining of the smell.

I wet myself and it shorted out my wheelchair, which started spinning backwards in a clockwise direction.

I tore out two walls of my cubicle and broke another rib.

I had co-workers laughing at me and soiling themselves.

YOU, sir, are DESPICABLE!!!!!

:hihi:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...