Science Forums

Why do we Need A God?

Lancaster

Just as a side; The title of this thread, 'Why do we Need A God?' is somewhat too broad in context. I would prefer it read 'Why do I need a God?' Using the word "we" assumes that everyone should come to the same conclusion and I for one reject this notion. I believe in God, therefore "I" need him. My reason for that need is frankly; I've lost most of my faith in mankind. You may not need God, and that's your decision. Each to his own I say and each can decide for themselves who and what they need. I, frankly, am quite glad to have the need for God's attention and mercy. But I accept those who feel no need for these things and grant them the freedom to choose the things they feel need of for themselves.....................Infy

Just as a side; The title of this thread, 'Why do we Need A God?' is somewhat too broad in context. I would prefer it read 'Why do I need a God?' Using the word "we" assumes that everyone should come to the same conclusion and I for one reject this notion. I believe in God, therefore "I" need him. My reason for that need is frankly; I've lost most of my faith in mankind. You may not need God, and that's your decision. Each to his own I say and each can decide for themselves who and what they need. I, frankly, am quite glad to have the need for God's attention and mercy. But I accept those who feel no need for these things and grant them the freedom to choose the things they feel need of for themselves.....................Infy

I so appreciate you Infy. Glad you're still around. Beaker

please elaborate on the topic subject.

Why do we Need A God?

How can any man, (or woman) answer this question?

Each man (or woman) has his or her own opinion, based on personal bias; predudice; life experience; etc.

In the end of course, it all depends on whether or not there actually is a God to need.

If there is no God, I personally don't believe we would be here debating the issue. But in the unlikely event that we could exist at all, without having been created by Him; The percieved need for god would obviously only be a mental thing.

"...here's your blanky".

But on the other hand if God is real, We can only imagine the infinate universe of things we owe to Him; and the real answer to this question.

I've lost most of my faith in mankind.

That's quite encouraging. Good to know there's always people out there who don't see any point in solving problems.

As for why would we need a god...

Although it would be very mean of me to say this I am going to say this anyways: People have a dependancy to believe in something greater than themselves so they have something to work towards. Is this need neccesary? No. Is it prevalent in today's society? Yes.

A Simple way of overcoming this delusion would be to realize that we as human beings are all united. If we were to suddenly come under attack by space aliens with weaponry slightly more advanced then our own do you think an Isreali would really give the slightest... care about what a Palestinian's ancestor did to his mother's uncle's great aunt's nephew's brother? I honestly don't think so.

I believe one indefinite way to disprove the Christian religion would be to prove the existence of intelligent life somewhere else in the universe.

Now here's a better question that I could put out there to use as reference for others.

Why do I need a god?

Simply put I don't. God is an egocentric fantasy (exactly like Zeus was) created by humans as a father figure. He was created IN OUR MINDS as perfect. Because we as humans strive for perfection. This is for survival. We realize we are not all-powerful. We WILL die. Our planet WILL get swallowed by the sun, and I personally believe most people subconsciously think we may not be alone in the universe. And as such we compete with this "God" so that we can better ourselves for challenges we may meet later on in life. or existence.

Humans for some reason or another have to believe in something greater than themselves. If you look at it this way it may help.

Here's another question I have... Why don't we need a god?

Well look at it this way. What has God done for us.. directly. Proven that he did it. As far as I can tell he hasn't done jack-squat. He created us? prove it. The bible? other religious texts? Written by humans. And as such even if they were the word of God they would be flawed as we are imperfect. He causes miracles? Once again I ask you to prove it. Science can prove it. Science doesn't need God and TRUE Science does not fail us whereas God does.

I have been debating the existence of God exclusively for a while now. I have also wondered about an afterlife which seems to be more important. After all if Afterlife could be thought of as prison then god could be thought of as a judge in which case he seems to be a pretty unfair judge that doesn't act according to how he is described.

My problem with religion is the mentality of theists. They believe that they can sin, do drugs, cheat on their spouses, get flat-on-their-arse drunk, abuse others, and commit crimes yet still go to heaven just because they go and say "Oh im sorry I did all of those things." And they get to go to heaven just because they believe in God? While others who may not believe in him run global charities, perform good acts every day and help others go to hell just because they dont think he exists?

Catholics confuse me the most. They believe that anyone who doesn't accept Jesus as the son of God are going to hell no matter what. Stupid. Stupid stupid stupid. So what you're telling me is I can abuse my child, have sex with any person I want but so long as I go back to a church and repent about it without solving the actual problem I can go to heaven? Yes that makes plenty of sense. Naturally this is a generalization and doesnt apply to all Catholics or all Christians.

It's not the fact that he forgives them for their sins. That's very loving. But the problem I see is the fact that while they may sin and be forgiven just by believing in him without fixing what they have done with those they sinned against, others who may not believe in God such as Jews, Muslims, and Hindus all go to hell even if they just happen to be "better people" then said Catholic.

These kinds of things bother me. Forgiveness of sins is a very touchy subject and I have tried talking to a priest about it but he just kept trying to confuse me without actually addressing the subject. (Proof in my mind that he started to realize himself that a God who is omnipotent and all-loving shouldnt send good people down to hell for no other reason other then they dont worship him for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING)

IMO,:rant: (i think that means "In My Opinion")

IMAMONKEY

Imagine a god whose only real concern is for humans to believe "he" exists and to worship (whatever that means) "him". As it goes this god created the humans in question, but apparently, for the most part, didn't have the nous to create humans who do believe in his existence or worship him. Wouldn't you say that god made a conspicuous oversight in the undertaking of his main project? and why would anyone worship such a bumbling and inefficient god?

Imagine a god whose only real concern is for humans to believe "he" exists and to worship (whatever that means) "him". As it goes this god created the humans in question, but apparently, for the most part, didn't have the nous to create humans who do believe in his existence or worship him. Wouldn't you say that god made a conspicuous oversight in the undertaking of his main project? and why would anyone worship such a bumbling and inefficient god?

Great point.

As for the title of this thread, what I mean by "we" is why does anyone need a God. Why is he necessary? What is his purpose? What I would have liked to have seen posted by someone is why they feel a need for God. Anyone? Why do you believe?

Great point.

As for the title of this thread, what I mean by "we" is why does anyone need a God. Why is he necessary? What is his purpose? What I would have liked to have seen posted by someone is why they feel a need for God. Anyone? Why do you believe?

I can't tell you why I need a God because I don't. But I can tell you why I don't which may in some way answer your question.

I don't believe in a God simply because of the examples I've seen in our society of those who do. I hate to say it but most theists I meet day-to-day are conceited jack- umm... jerks who seem to think they are a better person then me simply because they believe in something modern science denies the existence of.

Basically the "evangelists" drove me off. :lol: Ironic eh?

EDIT: That and secular humanism makes SO much more sense than anything the Christians can "cook up"

That's quite encouraging. Good to know there's always people out there who don't see any point in solving problems.

I don't appreciate people putting words in my mouth Monkey. Where did I say that there was no point in making an effort to solve problems? I think you should be advised to walk a little softer my friend!!

.......................................Infy

I don't appreciate people putting words in my mouth Monkey. Where did I say that there was no point in making an effort to solve problems? I think you should be advised to walk a little softer my friend!!

.......................................Infy

Someone can interpret what one says any way they want. If I were to chose to interpret your statement as, I believe in God and put my life in his hands, then it would be no different. Just because we assign values to characters does not mean they are truly what they seem.

Sorry to sound like a dick, but no one can ever misinterpret something.

Someone can interpret what one says any way they want. no one can ever misinterpret something.

Wow!

I always thought communication depended on properly understanding the other persons intended meaning.

I guess it doesn't really matter what anyone says.

We can all simply pretend we understand when we actually don't, and write our own script for someone elses mouth whether or not it's even what they say or mean.

Why talk at all?