Science Forums

Why do we Need A God?

Lancaster

If there is no God, why do we need morals? If there is no ultimate punishment , why not just do whatever you can get away with? If mankind never had the image of a greater, omniscient being to watch him, how would we have developed morals? Who now has a moral code of living better than

religion gave us? Also, of course, if there was no creator, then we must assume the universe was formed by chance and order was somehow born of chaos. Try to contemplate how many coincidences would have to occur for us to be here.

If there is no God, why do we need morals?

Because immorality doesn't hurt god, it hurts our brothers, sisters, and ourselves.

If there is no ultimate punishment , why not just do whatever you can get away with?

Your assumption that "ultimate punishment" is the only mechanism humans have for positive action or against negative action is incorrect

If mankind never had the image of a greater, omniscient being to watch him, how would we have developed morals? Who now has a moral code of living better than religion gave us?

Wholesale genocide and slavery are not really the pillars of morality they used to be when the bible was written. Human morality has in many ways improved since the bible advocated such things and religious people, nations, and armies followed them.

Also, of course, if there was no creator, then we must assume the universe was formed by chance and order was somehow born of chaos. Try to contemplate how many coincidences would have to occur for us to be here.

If we were not here, we could not calculate coincidences. So the probability of all these 'coincidences' is 100%.

By the way, saying there's a God doesn't solve the 'something created from nothing' situation. God is still existence created from non-existence. If you want to say God always existed then someone else could say the universe always existed. Your concept of God is not solving the 'problem' you outline. It is just transferring it.

-modest (living for today)

• 2 weeks later...
I have no scientific way of coming to the conclusion that God exists or not. But, I do believe in Christians and they come in handy too. You need a war fought - throw some Christians at it. You need to keep scientology at bay - throw some Christians at it. You need a designated driver - grab yourself a travel-sized Christian.

;)

That's the funniest post I've read in a while!

:lol:

:confused:

I LOL'd hard at that one :confused:

That's the funniest post I've read in a while!

Well thank you kindly.

I thought the question of the thread was portraying god and religion as a bit of a commodity - which I can understand (seems to be a popular attitude). I thought I’d take that to the next level ;)

-modest

Maybe the need for a god or gods arose from the human uncertainty of the unknown. It can be argued that religion and science are searching for the same thing, only traveling different paths. Many people find comfort in not trying so hard to figure out why things happen. Religion and faith help with the insecurities of living in a universe where we really know nothing. Scientific theories and religious theories are proven wrong everyday.Things that we believe are concrete and real wether supported scientific or religiously are always subject to scrutiny and the light of further knowledge. During the time of Christ, there was much suffering and misunderstanding of the everyday things that took place in the world. People were desperate for someone, something, anything to ease their hearts and minds from all of the fear of the unknown and the future.

Religion and faith can also be a rallying point, a place where different people can share a common thread, something to bring them together with a sense of unity. This forum is a prime example of how different we all are and have different beliefs and opinions. An omnipotent god that cannot be argued with helps create order. For example there are rules set for Hypography forums. There are moderators who are Hypography's omnipotent beings. They can be quite forgiving as I have seen, but they still possess the power to ban users from posting in their forums. The gods that we create or believe in are simply there to maintain order and keep us in check.

Maybe the need for a god or gods arose from the human uncertainty of the unknown. It can be argued that religion and science are searching for the same thing, only traveling different paths.

Quite right iamnoman - I agree.

During the time of Christ, there was much suffering and misunderstanding of the everyday things that took place in the world. People were desperate for someone, something, anything to ease their hearts and minds from all of the fear of the unknown and the future.

It does seem like religions get started in times of trouble and suffering. I wonder if one could juxtapose the differences between religions that started in troubled times vs. those that didn't. An 'Ares vs. Athena' kind of thing.

This forum is a prime example of how different we all are and have different beliefs and opinions. An omnipotent god that cannot be argued with helps create order.

Wow, Hypography as God. :shrug: That's gotta be a first :eek2:

-modest