Science Forums

Why do we Need A God?

Lancaster

[OffTopic]But one note somewhat related to the title ; if we "need" a God, then we needn't be using his name in vain.[/OffTopic]

Why? I see no reason why not to. If I'm using God solely as a means of psychological support, as many Christians are, then his more trivial laws are just that: trivial. Is God really going to send you to hell for saying "oh my God!" Jesus/God/Magical Holy Spirit forgives everything, so why does it matter?

I mean really, who cares?

So why were we needed when God could have lived by himself. Did he need company ? "Living things" to use the universe ? The universe would have to have been needed before us if we were actually needed. So if God was magically God in nothingness, why did he need us, and before us having to create the universe ?

So why were we needed when God could have lived by himself. Did he need company ? "Living things" to use the universe ? The universe would have to have been needed before us if we were actually needed. So if God was magically God in nothingness, why did he need us, and before us having to create the universe ?
It's really the same question one could ask about the things mankind creates. All of our inventions, and our industry, whether farming or manufacturing are created by us because of our needs. The creation of anything is a response to a need, even when that need is more appropriately defined as a desire. Whether desire or necessity, it really makes no difference. Things are created with the aim of fulfilling a need, a desire, or a goal.

Once those articles are created, the needs question changes hands. After man has created those things he needs, those things then require maintenance to endure the use their put to. So now, the answer to the question posed in this thread comes full circle. God created us because he had need of or a desire for us. Now that we've been created, we need maintenance thru his guidance.

......................................Infy

A better question, why does he need us to worship him? Is he that egotistical that he demands that all people bow down to him and sing out his praises constantly? You'd think he'd be content with the occasional "thanks for this food" or "you know God, you're not that bad" but no, he demands sacrifice and worship!

And he wants this praise so bad that if you don't adhere to his desire for self gratification, he sends you to be tortured for all eternity.

A better question, why does he need us to worship him?

(I believe - just so I don't sound like I'm speaking for God - ((Pyrotek)) He doesn't need us to worship Him. We need to worship Him. So that we start with the foundation of Him being the creator, and we being the creation. "the fear of the Lord is the begining of knowledge". Untill we get that little gem imbedded in our "heart", we're just a bunch of lamebrains trying to find another entrance into a realm where there is only one door.

(I believe - just so I don't sound like I'm speaking for God - ((Pyrotek)) He doesn't need us to worship Him. We need to worship Him. So that we start with the foundation of Him being the creator, and we being the creation. "the fear of the Lord is the begining of knowledge". Untill we get that little gem imbedded in our "heart", we're just a bunch of lamebrains trying to find another entrance into a realm where there is only one door.

But God demands our worship. Either we have complete faith and dedication to him, or we burn in agony for all eternity.

...and your point is?

He's completely egotistical! Why does he demand our absolute devotion? Why does he need it? Does God have low self-esteem? Why not give us a choice?

The way I see it, we can choose between two equally lackluster choices. Either become a robot who worships God all day or be tortured forever. Sucks.

Why not give us a choice?

The way I see it, we can choose between two equally lackluster choices. Either become a robot who worships God all day or be tortured forever. Sucks.

That's the beauty of it all! We do have a choice!

That's because God's not satisfied with robots either.

Consider all you know. Consider all you've experienced. Consider all you may ever dream of. If God indeed created everything; all you are and could ever hope to be are insepparably wraped up in what God has made.

If you think that you are thoughtfull and intellegent,

Just imagine how much moreso God would have to be, for you to have the ability to consider such things.

That's the beauty of it all! We do have a choice!

That's because God's not satisfied with robots either.

Consider all you know. Consider all you've experienced. Consider all you may ever dream of. If God indeed created everything; all you are and could ever hope to be are insepparably wraped up in what God has made.

If you think that you are thoughtfull and intellegent,

Just imagine how much moreso God would have to be, for you to have the ability to consider such things.

I'm not following you.

Let's say that I am a single father. I am alone in the world. I decide it would be a good idea to create everything. So I do. I make the universe. Then I create man. I love man. I love and know every single person I create. I am really great because I made them. The fact that I made them makes me such a great guy, even though it took me no effort whatsoever. Now, I need to know what to do with these people. So first, I make them robots. They are ignorant and stupid, but they live in a perfect world. Great, right? But these terrible kids of mine are tempted by an old friend of mine, Satan.

Satan was an angel, one of the best, who disagreed with my methods. He thought he knew best. But he didn't realize one thing: the universe is not a democracy, it is a Dictatorship, and I am the dictator. I kicked him from heaven and banished him. So he decides, if he can't get to me, he can get to my kids. He tells them that they can have knowledge, they can be smart! But that's unacceptable to me. I don't want my kids to be smart. To me, intelligence is equivalent to the utmost evil. It is so evil to me that I place a mark on all my grandchildren, all of them, and their children, until the end. I call this original sin. So, even though I am omniscient and therefore would have seen what would happen, and because I am omnipotent I had to make this happen and therefore man had no choice... whatever, just because I am a self contradiction... I really don't care. So I decide. Either my kids can love me, worship me every day, pray to me, declare my good works, and announce my name on high, or I send them to be tortured for all eternity. Remember, I love these kids, but I don't want to give them a second chance, that's it. Torture for all eternity.

Aren't I great? Anyway, I decide that this system isn't all that great, or something. Even my kids don't understand really what this next part is about. I decide to make a clone of myself, change the clone's name, and then put the clone in the body of a human. For some reason, I see to it that this clone is killed, and then sent back up to me. Now, this is where I made things really confusing. I needed to do this so that everyone could be saved. Does this mean that everyone gets to go to heaven? No. I'm still sending people to the fires of hell. Things are different because....whatever, it doesn't matter.

Aren't I a great father? You should probably worship me!

He doesn't need us to worship Him. We need to worship Him. .... Until we get that little gem imbedded in our "heart", we're just a bunch of lamebrains trying to find another entrance into a realm where there is only one door.

Although you qualified it as your "belief," you still seem to apply it to all beings. So, considering this, I'd like to take a step back and ask you to prove to us that we all "need" god (of whatever gender or pasta projectile type). Then, once you have (let's say tried), explain how you each of us (in your mind) are all trying to proceed through this passageway. :)

It isn't a matter of (you all) trying to get through a single passageway, it's just that (you're) avioding the only right one.

Please explain why this one is the correct one. And for one thing, please elaborate on the topic subject.

Let's see some elaboration, or at least some content in these posts.