Science Forums

Favorite cell Parts

Vibrio

Exactly what I would have said, Monomer.. ;)

Must be all that ATP formation during aerobic respiration..

Ditto for me too.

My Ph.D thesis topic involved studies on Cardiolipin a phospholipid found mainly in mitochondria. I believe that I observed something which if I had enough opportunity to investigate further could have resulted in some path breaking discovery, something that would have perhaps made my nomination for the Nobel.

Very briefly, what I observed was that the cardiolipin vesicles behavior wrt to Calcium ions is changed drastically due to their interaction with oxygen.

Calcium and oxygen are the main players in oxidative phosphorylation, a process that is responsible for aerobic respiration:(

a tough question it is....

Lets see. All of the above listed parts are extremely interesting and if I had to separate them they would all be bunched up like sat 10, 9.9999, 9.9998 because the are all so fascinating. One part that has always sort of seemed like an enigma was the intracellular scaffolding that holds it all together and lets the proteins move around just enough to interact. For example, receptor signaling, there are is a huge amount of interaction just to get the signal into the cell to make an effect. All those proteins all have to find each other, interact and then move off to interact with others. Complex like the everything else.

The cell one cool little guy.

Have some fun! What is your favorite cell part and why?

Hmmm....I would say the Endoplasmic Reticulum....mainly because it isolates, stores and transports polypeptides...after all, proteins are the very building blocks of life. Amongst others, the Ribosomes (which act as an anchor for proteins whilst they are being synthesised) and the Golgi complex (which modifies Carbs, Lipids and proteins) are pretty important, too. Therefore, they are my favourites....:yawn: :hihi: