Science Forums

Death....is it the end?

Kizzi

Is my death the end of my existence?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Is my death the end of my existence?

No, death is not the end of anything but your body. Your Self (mind/soul/whatever you want to call it) will remain and possibly be personified into another physical [life]form. And brain activity is brain activity - it has nothing to do with the Self itself, only the body. Sure, it is a way in which the body is able to communicate with the mind, but no brain activity simply means the connection is lost - temporarily or not.

• 2 weeks later...
I guess I should weigh in again.

The evidence for the reality of the continued existence of the personality (my personality, your personality) after the shuffling-off of the mortal coil is rooted in the faith of the believing person, and, as such, is not arguable in logical terms, or in terms that those without faith (in the survival of the personality) will accept. So those with faith will loose the argument in logical terms because all they can offer is something to the effect of, "I know, because I know" - a statement that will illicit hoots of derision those who require empirical proof of any sort of assertion. But to the practicers of faith, those who nuture a relationship with God, this knowledge is unassailably real.

G

I'd agree with what you say in a way plus add a useful analogy. Firstly, most of this argument from a scientific point of view is about the body, which is mortal and obviously doesn't live on in most cases. The second area is memory but in that area there are cases of people claiming reincarnation, which does provide proof, if you're willing to accept it as such.

Now here is a nice piece of logic. If you can prevent something happening, what proof have you that it would have happened? No physical proof whatever. Science lets things happen to prove cause and effect - without it there would be no 'body' of evidence, that anything existed - including cause and effect.

Next point of no interest to anyone - John Nash of 'A Beautiful Mind' fame (film starring Russel Crowe), drove himself insane because had no tangible proof that trust existed or that it was a good idea to have faith in others because they 'could' trick you (Nothing was mentioned about the value of believing in such intangibles to either side or that the alternative was not only mental attrition (the paranoia he suffered from because he couldn't take it upon himself to believe in anything) but physical attrition through game playing (We have no physical proof that nuclear war would wipe out most, if not all life on this planet but it is this 'belief' that ensures such a scenario hasn't been played out so far (The urge for physical survival keeps Thanatos at bay for the race but those who 'believe' in life after death and that this life has no value to them, can and do put The Earth at risk daily (violent crime, assassination, warfare of all kinds) on the small scale and could make it the large scale with nuclear devices, should it spread to countries, rather than individuals or small gangs: 'If I can't win then I'm taking you with me' as a suicidal mentality). The point of this point is to prove that without intangibles like faith, hope and a belief in the future (a positive mental attitude), the world will end, physically and mentally (No-body here, no consciousness (mind to mind the store), so life after death is academic and we return to a state of oblivion anyway (unconsciousness/ scattered atoms).

Another thought. Consciousness is concentration on a single point of space-time. Death is movement from that point of reference and includes leaving your body and in most cases, mind behind in life's left luggage office where it rots away to nothing (Goes back to being what it was before you got here - free energy, rather than matter). This could explain why most people don't remember past lives, at least in part. Another factor could be that children seem to remember such things up until they go to school, indicating that concentration upon this life excludes knowledge and awareness of this other state of being, much like enjoying yourself at the pictures, makes you forget that there is a real world outside the cinema and that you have another life outside.

• 1 month later...

Not certain I'll articulate this very well, and definitely not in just a few words, but maybe I can give a sense of it. (I'm going to attempt to say what can only be shown, to paraphrase Wittgenstein.)

Anyway, I'm a big believer in science and the method of science is very superior in verifying theories, which I prefer to call models.

But when I think of ideas, as ideas, they seem to be more of a given and of a realm different than the "material universe", so to speak.

Love, for example, certainly has physical aspects and maybe that's all it is (that is, heart palpataing, among other things, and so forth), but I don't think so. It's seems deeper and separate from that.

I'll stop there. Either I'll not be making any sense or someone will spur some more thought about it in me or others.

Thanks!