Science Forums

What Exactly Is The Alt-Right

serenesam

Nietzsche never said this, but the quote is *extremely* popular on Neo-Nazi forums.

Per Wikiquote, this is "misattributed":

...and let's just say it can mean a wide variety of things...just depends on how "dirty" your mind is....

Incompetence plus incompetence equals incompetence, :phones:

Buffy

It wouldn't surprise me if The Left is attempting to rewrite history.

Source please?

Clearly you're science-challenged. That's not how it works. You get to find the source dear.... "Ah saw'd it on a internet page that said he sayed it" isn't really good enough.

It wouldn't surprise me if The Left is attempting to rewrite history.

Is that another conspiracy you approve of?

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light, :phones:

Buffy

Clearly you're science-challenged. That's not how it works. You get to find the source dear.... "Ah saw'd it on a internet page that said he sayed it" isn't really good enough.

Is that another conspiracy you approve of?

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light, :phones:

Buffy

Look, regardless as to whether or not he said it, The Right has a point though. Why are we trying to drag down the strongest and brightest? Makes no sense if you want to move society forward. 

Look, regardless as to whether or not he said it, The Right has a point though. Why are we trying to drag down the strongest and brightest? Makes no sense if you want to move society forward. 

The strongest and brightest according to whom?

Why do you want to keep someone from realizing their full potential just on the basis of gender, skin color or country of origin?  When someone is prevented from accomplishment, we are all left losing the potential benefits they may have to offer.

The "alt - right" is a movement built on a foundation of weakness.  They want to be strong, but the only way they can feel strong is to put somebody else down, or beat them up or kill them.  It is made up of loudmouths, bullies and those who seek to profit from them.

Strong people feel no need to prove their strength, for they already know they have it.

Edited by Farming guy

Why do you want to keep someone from realizing their full potential just on the basis of gender, skin color or country of origin?  ...

The psychology of such thinking is rooted in fear and disjointed reasoning as I alluded to in post #24. While I quoted just the abstract of the meta-study analyzing such thinking, the link leads to the full 37 page paper. From there, one can investigate the 80+ studies that the meta-study analyzes.

Little Sammy and his ilk are afraid and so feel compelled to attack others that they imagine are inferior. :scared:

Why do you want to keep someone from realizing their full potential just on the basis of gender, skin color or country of origin?  When someone is prevented from accomplishment, we are all left losing the potential benefits they may have to offer.

The "alt - right" is a movement built on a foundation of weakness.  They want to be strong, but the only way they can feel strong is to put somebody else down, or beat them up or kill them.  It is made up of loudmouths, bullies and those who seek to profit from them.

Strong people feel no need to prove their strength, for they already know they have it.

There's a difference between equality of opportunity and equality of outcome.

There's a difference between equality of opportunity and equality of outcome.

Another great Alex Jones-approved copy-and-paste.

Dude, you're such a fount of original wisdom! Stuff we *totally* didn't know!!! :cheer:

Education means to bring out wisdom. Indoctrination means to push in knowledge, :phones:

Buffy

Actually, I think I got that from Red Ice TV.

Of course you did, dear.

In any case, for The Left, equality of opportunity isn't good enough. That's a shame. 

Well gee, it'd be nice if there were even that!

Where is the "opportunity" to have daddy introduce you to his friend who owns a company that does what you want to do if you are a kid who grows up in Oakland?

Where's the opportunity to meet your future classmates at Harvard that you meet playing Lacrosse thanks to your stay-at-home mom, who can take you to that between your SAT prep classes and the Model UN?

Funny thing is that it sounds like you as a poor white kid missed those "opportunities" too.

Hate to disturb your world view, but it's not the "dark" people that are a problem with "equality" it's the rich folks like Trump who are happy to keep you down there with the rest of the Polloi.

An age is called Dark, not because the light fails to shine, but because people refuse to see it, :phones:

Buffy

In any case, for The Left, equality of opportunity isn't good enough. That's a shame. 

Imagine driving in your car, and the blue lights of a police car come on behind you.  Maybe you think, "What was I doing, was I speeding, did I fail to signal."  Or maybe you thing, "How am I going to pay for the ticket I'm about to get."

If your skin were darker, you might be thinking "How do I not get beaten up or killed"

We Americans may all live in the same country, but some of us are worlds apart.

Of course you did, dear.

Well gee, it'd be nice if there were even that!

Where is the "opportunity" to have daddy introduce you to his friend who owns a company that does what you want to do if you are a kid who grows up in Oakland?

Where's the opportunity to meet your future classmates at Harvard that you meet playing Lacrosse thanks to your stay-at-home mom, who can take you to that between your SAT prep classes and the Model UN?

Funny thing is that it sounds like you as a poor white kid missed those "opportunities" too.

Hate to disturb your world view, but it's not the "dark" people that are a problem with "equality" it's the rich folks like Trump who are happy to keep you down there with the rest of the Polloi.

An age is called Dark, not because the light fails to shine, but because people refuse to see it, :phones:

Buffy

It seems while I was checking out the ice in Greenland, this place has devolved into a Political arena?

Oh well, when in Rome . . . .

Come on, Buffy. You are as bad as Sam is with your generalizations. Maybe that was your “white” story, you want to hear mine?

Yes, I am white. I was born in a much worse place than Oakland, a place called “Fort Apache, The Bronx” My father was a machinist who never made more than 200/week in his entire life. He didn’t know any business owners and I didn’t go to Harvard.

I started out pushing a broom and earned some extra money from fights organized by the Police Athletic League. I obtained my college education after military service, through the GI Bill. A lot of the friends I knew growing up, ended up in jail, or dead. I am not complaining. I never complained; I was too busy trying to make something of my life.

Now, I am the second highest ranking officer on a large research vessel with three laboratories and a crew of over 40 people, including the scientists. The Captain is the only person I report to. He happens to be of African American descent and an extremely capable commander and a very good egg.

In my experience, life is what you make of it through hard work and personal discipline. Too many minorities think they are owed a living because there was slavery and other forms of discrimination allowed in the past. Now, there are black families on three generations of welfare and have no desire to change. Too many whites have a guilt complex and self-loathing simply because they were born white, as if they had a choice in the matter!

I have never experienced “white privilege” but I have been in places where I experienced racial discrimination directed against me because I am white. There are two sides to every story and racial prejudice cuts both ways. I can walk down the main street in Baghdad more safely than I can in Lagos, Nigeria. I know that for a fact because I have done both.

Do you remember seeing Black Panthers holding baseball bats outside polling stations during Obama’s election? I sure do. That was more than a provocation, that was outright intimidation and interference with the election process, a Federal offense.  Nothing was done about it. Absolutely Nothing.

Trump was correct when he said both sides are to blame, but I agree it would be better if he did not say it because the dishonest media will use it against him, forever. He is a rich, white guy so he is automatically “Bad”. That is also racism.

Hillary lost because she is just plain unlikeable and untrustworthy same as her creepy husband. If the Dems are stupid enough to let her run again, she will lose again. Then she can write another book and whine about it.

White, Black, whatever, there is nothing you can do about the color of your skin but there is a lot you can do about the sort of person who lives inside that skin.

Yes, I am white. I was born in a much worse place than Oakland, a place called “Fort Apache, The Bronx”...

Did you notice how you started right off by dismissing that anyone could have had it worse than you?

I find that quite interesting.

Now my experience of The Bronx was limited to what I saw on TV and drives to Yankee Stadium, but in the 60s, no it really wasn't any worse than West Oakland or South Central LA, both of which were quite familiar to me.

...My father was a machinist who never made more than 200/week in his entire life. He didn’t know any business owners and I didn’t go to Harvard.

I was quite privileged. Went to all the right schools, met all the right people. I won't go into being female just yet, but I can tell you that those first two things pay off in spades.

Now Mitt Romney or Donald Trump will try to convince you that they worked just as hard--no MUCH harder than you--and that's why they're so much richer than you are. In their minds they're not "privileged," they're WORTHY.

You know what? That's total bulls#it, and I'm pretty sure you know it:

I started out pushing a broom and earned some extra money from fights organized by the Police Athletic League. I obtained my college education after military service, through the GI Bill. A lot of the friends I knew growing up, ended up in jail, or dead. I am not complaining. I never complained; I was too busy trying to make something of my life.

Now, I am the second highest ranking officer on a large research vessel with three laboratories and a crew of over 40 people, including the scientists.

So sure hard work is what you need to succeed but BREAKING NEWS:

• Hard work doesn't guarantee success, and
  • If you've got privilege or luck, success is pretty easy.

The weird thing about your story is that it really is all about you. Except for your screw-up friends, who it's easy to point to as failures compared to you, you seem to have never put much thought into the various OTHER paths that people have to take in life. You've uncritically given Mitt and Donald a pass on their undeserved wealth, and simply assumed that anyone who's successful, just worked hard and it paid off. Like...

... The Captain is the only person I report to. He happens to be of African American descent and an extremely capable commander and a very good egg.

I doubt you've ever bothered to ask him if he had any obstacles on his way to Captain. I know lots of folks like him, and they *all* have stories. Lots of them.

I do too. I may have had every advantage--having multiple degrees from Berkeley and UCLA have opened *endless* doors--but for a woman to get into the Executive Suite in the high tech market is a lot tougher than you might imagine, even in a supposedly "liberal" place like the Bay Area. It is a Boy's Club, and the only way for women to succeed is in "girl" departments like marketing, or if you're a real *****, you can make it in sales like Carly did.

I only went back to Engineering because my cousin offered me a CTO in his startup. Family is a *huge* deal.

So your sanctimonious garbage about...

In my experience, life is what you make of it through hard work and personal discipline.

...is a bunch of fu@king garbage. You have no idea what you're talking about because you don't know anything beyond your limited little view of the world and you're too incurious to even look.

And what's worse is that despite your opening line, you are filled with nothing but generalizations that have no basis in fact:

Too many minorities think they are owed a living because there was slavery and other forms of discrimination allowed in the past. Now, there are black families on three generations of welfare and have no desire to change.

Why they all had the same opportunity you did, why don't they succeed?

Hey, go back and read what you wrote: "A lot of the friends I knew growing up, ended up in jail, or dead."

No kidding. And guess what it was like for the black folks down the street in the Bronx.

And when you say:

I have never experienced “white privilege”...

...I call bullshit: you probably didn't notice, but I can assure you that if one of your white friends got caught by the police for smoking a joint, he certainly did not get the same treatment a black kid one block over got.

...but I have been in places where I experienced racial discrimination directed against me because I am white. There are two sides to every story and racial prejudice cuts both ways. I can walk down the main street in Baghdad more safely than I can in Lagos, Nigeria. I know that for a fact because I have done both.

"...but see, I got discriminated against once, so it's all the same."

Holy crap, dude, do you have any idea what that would sound like to your Captain? Try it out on him some time.

Seriously, you do not know what it's like to be discriminated against on a systematic basis. At all. Do you come from an unprivileged background? Sure! But that doesn't mean that your experience gives you even an inkling of the structural race/sex/orientation barriers that exist even when controlling for "background."

They're there, you just refuse to accept it.

And so to try to mollify your position and explain why other white people disagree, you have to find a bogus cause:

Too many whites have a guilt complex and self-loathing simply because they were born white, as if they had a choice in the matter!

Why didn't you? Do you think it's genetic? Bad upbringing?

How about they have more Christian Charity than you do?

Or try this on for size: As a hard-nosed MBA who mostly cares about the bottom line, you know why I'm for social programs?

BECAUSE IT'S CHEAPER THAN LETTING THEM DIE IN THE STREETS.

That's right, if you're really greedy and you want to reduce the overall cost to society of the percentage of people at the bottom who can't make it for *any* reason, you make sure you don't spend a fortune on fixing the symptoms with police and firemen and prisons, you just fu@king house and feed them, and do what you can to get them jobs.

Like that evil Obamacare: do you know what happened to emergency room visits in the last 3 years? They went DOWN in inner city hospitals, saving gobs of money and resulting in the Medicaid budget having a much bigger surplus than expected. BECAUSE PEOPLE COULD GO TO A DOCTOR BEFORE THEY WERE SERIOUSLY ILL.

It's called fixing the root causes instead of chasing the symptoms.

Or in the words of the famous Fram oil filter commercial: "You can pay me now or you can pay me later."

So yah, this liberal sez "greed is good." It's the BEST reason to do all that coddling of the "undeserving" that you idiots whinge about constantly.

And finally, you really need to get out of your right-wing information silo:

Do you remember seeing Black Panthers holding baseball bats outside polling stations during Obama’s election? I sure do. That was more than a provocation, that was outright intimidation and interference with the election process, a Federal offense.  Nothing was done about it. Absolutely Nothing.

I know you won't believe "fake news" from the "librul media," but maybe you'll listen to a fellow conservative?

A scholar whom President George W. Bush appointed as vice chairwoman of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, Abigail Thernstrom has a reputation as a tough conservative critic of affirmative action and politically correct positions on race.

But when it comes to the investigation that the Republican-dominated commission is now conducting into the Justice Department’s handling of an alleged incident of voter intimidation involving the New Black Panther Party — a controversy that has consumed conservative media in recent months — Thernstrom has made a dramatic break from her usual allies.

“This doesn’t have to do with the Black Panthers; this has to do with their fantasies about how they could use this issue to topple the [Obama] administration,” said Thernstrom, who said members of the commission voiced their political aims “in the initial discussions” of the Panther case last year.

“My fellow conservatives on the commission had this wild notion they could bring Eric Holder down and really damage the president,” Thernstrom said in an interview with POLITICO.

Source: A conservative dismisses right-wing Black Panther 'fantasies', Ben Smith, POLITICO 07/16/2010

I know, I know, you "saw it with your own eyes" but carefully edited by Fox News and surrounded by hyperbolic scaremongering about scary "Black Panthers."

Conversely however, even beyond the gaudy display of Nazi and Confederate flags and signs and t-shirts advocating violence against minorities, in Charlottesville last week you had a whole bunch of guys in fatigues and body armor flaunting their AR-15s and MAC-10s.

You sure you want to bring up intimidation?

Sure, I'm quite sure that the majority of conservatives DO NOT back the Neo-Nazis and KKK, but conservative paramilitaries have been very visible since the 80s, while quite frankly the "Black Panthers" disbanded in the late 70s and weren't seen again for 30 years! 

So...

Trump was correct when he said both sides are to blame, but I agree it would be better if he did not say it because the dishonest media will use it against him, forever. He is a rich, white guy so he is automatically “Bad”. That is also racism.

To blame for what? The ENTIRE GROUP in the demonstration were Neo-Nazis and KKK. They were all chanting "Blood and soil!" and carrying overtly racist signs and shirts. The funny thing is that the excuse was they were protesting taking down the statue of Robert E. Lee, but there wasn't a single sign saying so!

And moreover Trump repeated several times the lie that the counter demonstrators didn't have a permit. They had TWO.

Were there "Antifa" people there? Sure. But seriously, someone tells you you don't have a right to exist, or even that you should put up with "honoring" the "heritage" of owning people of your color as slaves, I'm pretty sure you'd be spoiling for a fight too.

But Antifa is a tiny group. I know them because a lot are based in Oakland, and they are mostly whack jobs that no one listens to but we get angry at because they can screw things up. But they were a tiny part of that crowd. Conversely, anyone with a torch on Friday night who had a shot at a "librul" took a swing.

As that commie liberal Orrin Hatch said:

We should call evil by its name. My brother didn't give his life fighting Hitler for Nazi ideas to go unchallenged here at home.

So if you're going to call "both sides" "equal" here, let me show you some WWII veteran "Antifas" who happily shot as many Nazi's as they could, and would curse you for saying so.

Hillary lost because she is just plain unlikeable and untrustworthy same as her creepy husband. If the Dems are stupid enough to let her run again, she will lose again. Then she can write another book and whine about it.

Now you're getting into my territory. Dear, I've been called things a lot worse than "unlikable" and "untrustworthy" and those words are usually followed by a verbal or tacit "*****."

Right now, somewhere in your subconscious you're probably at least starting to feel some regret about voting for Trump, and lashing out like this is to be expected.

You'd be stunned to find that most Hillary supporters are happy to admit her weaknesses, but it's going to be quite interesting to see how "her emails" stack up against Trump being "Putin's poodle dog."

I know you don't think that'll happen yet. I'm not expecting you to. So ahead and rage against that.

But getting back to your point:

White, Black, whatever, there is nothing you can do about the color of your skin but there is a lot you can do about the sort of person who lives inside that skin.

No one is going to argue with anything in that statement! We should all try! Many don't try as hard as they should, and a few try very little. Many who don't though have very good reason to be discouraged.

But in this statement you're really hinting that you want people to go one step beyond what you've said, and think that hard work is all that's necessary for success.

Let me try one more time to disabuse you of that notion.

Imagine being a Native American in 1870. Everything about your life is about to go poof in the next 10 years and likely you'll be dead before it's over. Guess what? They tried really hard! Killed a lot of white guys! And the white guys killed 'em ten-fold!

You imagine that being black and living in the ghetto isn't like that, because heck you lived in the ghetto and look at you!

Sorry, yah, you worked hard, but you did have privilege, you did have a lot of luck too. But most importantly, white people are the masters, not just another minority, and being white does give you an advantage.

I'd strongly encourage you to get out and talk to people. And by that I mean LISTEN, not LECTURE about how you know all about the fact that the reason they're poor is that they're lazy.

That last part's a good thing to follow, because if you don't, you'll find you don't need to be in Lagos in order to feel threatened.

The most difficult thing to get people to do is to accept the obvious. :phones:

Buffy