Science Forums

Can Someone Stand In The Same Spot For 10 Years?

Mariel33

Notwithstanding biology and psychological needs, could someone remain in the same spot for 10 years - a spot of ground no greater than three metres long in every direction?

You do ask some daft questions. If "notwithstanding" means "setting aside" [biology and psychological needs], then I suppose maybe yes, but it is a bit like asking whether, setting aside gravity, a 100t locomotive could float in mid air.

Unless you can clarify what you driving at, it is tempting to conclude that the question is pointless. 

You do ask some daft questions. If "notwithstanding" means "setting aside" [biology and psychological needs], then I suppose maybe yes, but it is a bit like asking whether, setting aside gravity, a 100t locomotive could float in mid air.

Unless you can clarify what you driving at, it is tempting to conclude that the question is pointless. 

I mean taking into account - so the person could have sanitation access and be allowed food and beverage. They could even have television, and the internet and chairs. I personally don't think it would ever be possible.

I mean taking into account - so the person could have sanitation access and be allowed food and beverage. They could even have television, and the internet and chairs. I personally don't think it would ever be possible.

And the psychological needs - you set aside or take into account those too. How would that be done?

Notwithstanding biology and psychological needs, could someone remain in the same spot for 10 years - a spot of ground no greater than three metres long in every direction?

You as one question in this topic’s title – “can someone stand in the same spot for 10 years?” and a different one in you post – “could someone remain in the same spot for 10 years?”.

A person can’t remain standing for 10 years, because humans must sleep, and cannot do so long standing. Standing in place for a long time is uncomfortable, eventually painful, and will cause injury. To the best of my quickly Googled knowledge, the longest a person has been witness and documented to stand motionless is 21 hrs 30 min, by Suresh Joachim, an actor and peace advocate who specialized in unusual endurance record setting. He’s set several other standing-related records with longer durations than this, such as spending over 55 hrs ironing without interruption. (for the standing record, see http://sepiamutiny.com/blog/2005/09/16/marathon_man)

If allowed to stand, sit, lie and move around, people can remain in the same area for a very long time. Examples include the Elisabeth Fritzl case, where an 18 year-old woman was illegally and horrifically confined in a 35 m2 cell for 24 years.

Though I don’t know of an case of it, I believe a person could remain in a 3 x 3 m spot for their entire lifetime, on the order of 80 years.

• 5 weeks later...

Notwithstanding biology and psychological needs, could someone remain in the same spot for 10 years - a spot of ground no greater than three metres long in every direction?

I cannot stand in the exact same spot for more than a few seconds.  The constant struggle between standing up and gravity does not yield much stability as it is a constant balancing act.  In theory standing in the same spot would lead to horrible body odor, foot rot, blood clots in the legs and feet, etc... and you probably could not do it for more than 3 day although I haven't checked the Guinness Book of (pointless) Records.

Edited by fahrquad

mmm, the more thing that I wonder is just the reason why you ask this question (?) :) if this contains  some equivalencies,Gardener had been remaining for a bit long time without asleep. but here gardener does not research anything else. only to search an answer as a longevity of measurement of  asleep time and how it affects the brain and/or how it could widestly  take.  

Edited by inverse

If the area is 3 meters by 3 meters, that comes to nearly 97 square feet, and some New York apartment dwellers have spent decades living in such a small space (at a premium price).  I am sure they pay more for that bedroom sized ("efficiency") space than I do for a 3200 +/- square foot total (2520 finished) on about a 1/3 acre site that backs up to 15.9 acres of hardwood forest and pasture that directly abuts a few thousand acres of hardwood forest and pasture.  I don't believe the owner of the 15.9 acres is related to the family that has owned the few thousand acres for the last 100-ish years but I am sure they knew each other.  I really need to drop in and see Paul while he is still alive.  Our former mailman and next-door neighbor (Paul) apparently had a certain fondness for my brother and I.  He gave my brother and I permission to wander and explore his property at will as long as we did not harass his cattle.  Any time we entered the field when the cattle where present, several of these 6-700 pound creatures would move toward us causing us to retreat.  In retrospect, they probably assumed that human caretakers were present and they were coming in for a treat.

mmm, the more thing that I wonder is just the reason why you ask this question (?) :) if this contains  some equivalencies,Gardener had been remaining for a bit long time without asleep. but here gardener does not research anything else. only to search an answer as a longevity of measurement of  asleep time and how it affects the brain and/or how it could widestly  take.  

People define worth according to longevity - "stand the test of time". Yet if longevity was always impossible, in the sense of this question, should that interfere with people defining longevity as value.

If anything which stands the test of time would always be followed by someone clicking a button, or using a remote, is it wrong that people get judged according to time on the basis that using a remote or clicking a button is worthless?