Science Forums

Spinning Button On A String

Turtle

And while delving deeper into Turtles Diabling, and the sacred geometery that is the Vesica Piscis, I found some good info.

This probably has been covered already, and if so may serve as a refresh...:cup:

5) The basic motif in the Flower of Life,

The basic motif of the Flower Of Life is not the Vesica Piscis. The source is in error. There is hower a Vesica Piscis Flower and I have contructed it and made it available in the Hypography Science Gallery, as well as referenced it in the Vesica Piscis thread.

In looking at it again for the first time myself, I see it's an excellent pattern outline for a Diable.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I tried something new last night, and affixed a small LED pocket light to the Khua and video taped the action in a dark room. I have a short video here in the Hypography Science Gallery, and I will put a long version up presently at YouTube. I plan to try this with the bullroarer as well.

Notably, the little light (secured with tape) virtually killed the thrumming sound the vesica piscis diskis normally makes, so the predominate sound is whooshing.

Off to cut a movie then; BRB :esmoking: :cup:

• 1 month later...
Request an update on status of yours and those produced by others, good sir, Turtle. What say you? :)

My machine is sitting on the floor and not yet completed. Just waiting for a jolt of motivation towards it as I skitter off on other compulsions. No one has contacted me to say they are building, but then a world's first might motivate one to keep mum. ;)

I'll post an alert when I resume construction. Hyawaska...er...Ananake...I mean Gesundheit. :)

• 2 months later...

I'm new on this forum. I must do this exercise:

4. Spring thread

Pull a thread through the button holes

as shown in the picture. The button can

be put into rotating motion by pulling the

thread. One can feel some elasticity of

the thread. Explain the elastic properties

of such a system.

It is similar to the "button on a string" so I ask you for help. Namely I need information to this exercise. It is very important for me to found this information. Please do not ignore my post and try to understand me :naughty:

Oh, I've forgotten: I can't add an image with my exercise but it's simple button on a string ( button and thread).

I'm new on this forum. I must do this exercise: Explain the elastic properties of such a system.

Hi pavvolq,

This is a very large thread, so I'll see what I can do to assist. :thumbs_up

First, here's a nice description of HOW to build one:

http://hypography.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=284&c=3&userid=796

Below, more information on the workings:

http://hypography.com/forums/physics-mathematics/1228-spinning-button-string-8.html#post86319

The stability issues pervade every aspect of these...The inertia rewind cycle is highly susceptible to instability; it requires a gentle yet firm release. Too much tension during rewind & it doesn't wind up enough; too little & the string goes slack & whips causing the disk to bounce (hard to recover from sometimes).

http://hypography.com/forums/physics-mathematics/1228-spinning-button-string-10.html#post107927

the physics about the spinning wheel should involve torque and moment of inertia. i notice that the torque is very very low since the perpendicular component of the force (perpendicular to the position vector) is very tiny. (the tension force is pretty much pointing in the direction of the center of the spinning device. also, the torque created by this tension is related to the angle of string to the center of the device. [math]T=F*sin(\theta)[/math] resulting in an even lower torque.... put the string further away from the center could help the torque.

notice angular acceleration=torque/moment

torque=[math]2F*sin(\theta)*sin(\alpha)*R[/math]

[math]\alpha[/math](the angle between the "vertical" tension vector and the "radius" vector)is non-zero since the strings do have thinkness and there will be some unevenness in the experience.

Hopefully, if I've failed to bring the points specific to your purpose above, another member with greater ability to teach these dynamics will chip in.

Good luck on the project, and welcome to Hypography. :)

Pretty good job InfiniteNow. Thank You,but explain me if those links are connected with "button on a string"? Sorry for asking, but I am searching the information (still :shrug:) about "button on a string" and I want to know if those links are connected with it :D This links I mean the last which You have added.

Thank You,but explain me if those links are connected with "button on a string"?

They didn't... I've deleted them. That's what I get for posting before coffee after a night of wine. :D

Sorry for the confusion. The links on the prior page, however, are what I'd intended in response to your specific question.

Cheers. :shrug:

I'm new on this forum. I must do this exercise:

4. Spring thread

Pull a thread through the button holes

as shown in the picture. The button can

be put into rotating motion by pulling the

thread. One can feel some elasticity of

the thread. Explain the elastic properties

of such a system.

For the thread alone, some of the elastic properties are related to the material (cotton, nylon, hemp, etc.), the number of filaments and their size, and the amount of twist in the thread as a result of its manufacture.

Does this help? :shrug:

That's more than buttons on strings... those are bullroarers on ropes. :doh:

I've always loved the Light Dibbling in dark one. I always struggle to describe my perception of it... Am I at a rave, or am I travelling at superluminal velocities through vast cosmic distances. :)

Honey, what kind of mushrooms did you put on our pizza? I feel kinda funny... :)

pavvolq, you'll have to share with the rest of us a little more about what you're doing and for what purpose you've asked your question. If it's a question in a class, it sure sounds like a cool class. :beer:

I'm searching the whole Internet for information about this phenomenon because I must explain the elastic properties of such a system and make an experiences to prove my opinion about how it works.

For example I need:

1) Rope theory

2) Conservation of energy

3) Hooke's law for slanted & torsion deformation

4) Problems refers rubber's particle

5) Conservation of scud

In my opinion it's very interesting and life problem :D

I'm searching the whole Internet for information about this phenomenon because I must explain the elastic properties of such a system and make an experiences to prove my opinion about how it works.

For example I need:

1) Rope theory

5) Conservation of scud

In my opinion it's very interesting and life problem :)

Sweet! By all means please post your results here, as I have been experimenting with, and searching for references to, the device for years. As you can tell from this thread if you read it all, most of what I have found deals with the cultural context and not the physics; however, I agree the entire subject is very interesting, if not a 'life problem.'

On your list, I don't know what 'scud' is in #5, and how does rubber in #4 play a role? Good luck on the project and thanks for posting! :shrug: :cup:

• 4 months later...

For example I need:

1) Rope theory

5) Conservation of scud

In my opinion it's very interesting and life problem :D

Thats five great threads you can start. :rockon:

We might end up with a Spinning Tops Mini-forum :eek:

What FUN:hyper:

Welcome to hypography :smart:

I love it when someone resurrects an ancient thread.:out:

Are bull-roarers Tops?

PS

A book I am reading at the moment has a picture of Wolfgang Pauli and Neils Bohr having a great time intently watching a spinning top!