Science Forums

Planting trees-A good thing?- A bad thing?

This might help answer your question.

Germination of Tree Seed

Growing trees from seed can be fun. However' date=' the seed of most tree species won't germinate immediately when planted because they are in a dormant state. Dormancy must be broken before the seed can germinate.

In some tree species, dormancy is the result of a thick, hard seed coat. The seed coat may be broken in a variety of ways and the process is referred to as scarification. Mechanical means, such as a metal file or coarse sandpaper, can be used to break the seed coat. Treatment with boiling water has also been successful for a number of tree species. In nature, the seed coat may be broken by microbial action, passage of the seed through the digestive tract of a bird or other animal, exposure to alternate freezing and thawing, or fire.

The seed of many tree species will not germinate until they have been exposed to cool temperatures and moist conditions for several weeks or months. Winter weather in Iowa provides the necessary conditions to break dormancy. Gardeners can accomplish the same results by a process called stratification. Tree seed can be stratified by placing the seed in a moist 50:50 mixture of sand and peat moss. Suitable containers include coffee cans, plastic jars, and cottage cheese containers. (Punch holes in the lid of the container to provide air.) Seed can also be stratified in plastic bags. Stratify the seed in the refrigerator.

The seed of some trees, such as redbud, have hard impermeable seed coats and dormant embryos. They require both scarification and stratification for germination.

Specific information on collecting and planting seed from several tree species follows.

[/quote']

Germination of Tree Seed | Horticulture and Home Pest News

Michael, do you know how to stratify tree seeds to sprout them? Can you explain how it's done?

All I can explain here regarding tree seeds is what I learned regarding my 'organic' gardening seedlings.

I soaked the plant seeds in clean rain water overnight. Then I planted them in 'moist' organic garden soil or potting soil.

Then I placed them in a warm area near the ceiling in my kitchen.

Tree seeds would probably require at least 24-48 hours to soak through the hard outer casing.

Then plant in a 'moist' potting mix

Then keep in a warm place till they start to sproat.

When they show the first 'true' leaves, place under flourescent lights till they are large enough for transplanting.

For trees, my guess would be at least a half meter high.

Mike C

• 2 weeks later...
Michael, do you know how to stratify tree seeds to sprout them? Can you explain how it's done?

"stratifying" is a specific germination method. It usually involves putting seeds in damp peat moss (if you can now buy it) and then putting the seeds in the frig crisper (occasionally the freezer) for 3 months or more.

I have a good book on propagation (that cost me a fortune) and it lists propagation methods for many N. Hemisphere trees.

If you have a specific seed/tree let me know and I will look it up

"stratifying" is a specific germination method. It usually involves putting seeds in damp peat moss (if you can now buy it) and then putting the seeds in the frig crisper (occasionally the freezer) for 3 months or more.

I have a good book on propagation (that cost me a fortune) and it lists propagation methods for many N. Hemisphere trees.

If you have a specific seed/tree let me know and I will look it up

Hmmm, lets see, water tupelo, pond and bald cypress, river birch, pond apple, and anything else that can grow in wet lands. (BTW do you know of any OZ trees that grow in standing water?)

Hmmm, lets see, water tupelo, pond and bald cypress, river birch, pond apple, and anything else that can grow in wet lands.

Acer rubrum, Cephalanthus occidentalis, Pinus taeda, Ligustrum sinense, Berchemia, Myrica cerifera, Symplocos tinctoria, Alisma plantago, Typha latifolia, Salix nigra, etc...

I'll let M answer the Oz side. :)

Acer rubrum, Cephalanthus occidentalis, Pinus taeda, Ligustrum sinense, Berchemia, Myrica cerifera, Symplocos tinctoria, Alisma plantago, Typha latifolia, Salix nigra, etc...

I'll let M answer the Oz side. :)

Actually I'm concentrating on the ones that can grow in standing water. No many can do that but I am thinking of growing a couple that can grow with their roots trailing in water. I've grown sycamores like that......

Actually I'm concentrating on the ones that can grow in standing water.

Salix nigra will grow in standing water. If you can get Betula to grow, then Salix should be a breeze.

If you're using aquaculture, then you shouldn't be restricted to plants adapted to inundation necessarily. :)

Salix nigra will grow in standing water. If you can get Betula to grow, then Salix should be a breeze.

If you're using aquaculture, then you shouldn't be restricted to plants adapted to inundation necessarily. :)

Salix is a willow tree, correct? Willows will not grow in standing water continously. But I'm not familiar with Betula (sycamore?). I grow trees in my breeding ponds and aquariums to purify th water and because it's cool, if they won't grow in still standing water it's too much trouble to use them in ponds but in an aquarium i can grow them to allow the roots to trail in the water. sycamores will grow with their roots in the water but the trunk has to be dry.

Red maple will grow in inundated conditions, I've seen it. :)

If you decide to grow it, make sure you gather it somewhere on the coastal plain, where you're at. :)

Does it grow year round in standing water or just part of the time? Some trees will tolerate emersion for weeks and even months but will die if kept that way all the time. sycamores will tolerate emersion for several months but will die after a year or more. Most trees go into a type of hybernation when submersed for very long and do not actually grow. I know of a lake in WVa made by damming a stream that was lined by hudreds of huge sycamores and after five years some of them still sprout leaves in the spring but most have died completly and the ones left have just a few branches with leaves and do not really grow.

Red maple (the Coastal Plain variety) will grow in standing water. Unfortunately, in my investigations, I rarely get to return to the site and see the trees in different seasons. Nonetheless, I have seen red maples with buttressed trunks, signifying that they are inundated more often than not.

Red maple (the Coastal Plain variety) will grow in standing water. Unfortunately, in my investigations, I rarely get to return to the site and see the trees in different seasons. Nonetheless, I have seen red maples with buttressed trunks, signifying that they are inundated more often than not.

I'll have to check out that species, I've never seen them growing in perminant bodies of water but I do see them growing in swampy areas.

Here is a guide.

Selection, Production and Establishment of Wetland Trees and Shrubs

I'll have to check out that species, I've never seen them growing in perminant bodies of water but I do see them growing in swampy areas.

Swampy areas usually are permanent bodies of water. :)

Red maples don't mind getting their feet wet.

Take a look at this list of plant species in the US with wetland indicator status. You'll see 4 separate listings for red maple (Acer rubrum) wetland indicator status. (This is somewhat contentious, but I won't go into that right now)

It's not as fond of open water conditions as water tupelo and bald cypress are, but I'm quite confident you could make red maple work. :jab:

Nyssa ogeche is another option for aquarium bonsai.

Thanks, I didn't have this in my bookmarks yet, good info. :)

Swampy areas usually are permanent bodies of water. :)

Red maples don't mind getting their feet wet.

Take a look at this list of plant species in the US with wetland indicator status. You'll see 4 separate listings for red maple (Acer rubrum) wetland indicator status. (This is somewhat contentious, but I won't go into that right now)

It's not as fond of open water conditions as water tupelo and bald cypress are, but I'm quite confident you could make red maple work. :jab:

Nyssa ogeche is another option for aquarium bonsai.

Thanks, I didn't have this in my bookmarks yet, good info. :)

I live on the edge of what is known as the Green Swamp the areas where tree like the red maple grow are wet only part of the year. The swamp wanes and waxes over the course of the year. Very few trees grow where the water stays for years at a time. the list i gave you lists trees that can grow permanently in standing water as VT.