Science Forums

Planting trees-A good thing?- A bad thing?

I live on the edge of what is known as the Green Swamp the areas where tree like the red maple grow are wet only part of the year. The swamp wanes and waxes over the course of the year.

In that case, it sounds like you have a seasonally flooded wetland. Indeed, red maples love the fringes of these.

Can it be adapted to aquaculture?

I think so.

Very few trees grow where the water stays for years at a time. the list i gave you lists trees that can grow permanently in standing water as VT.

Indeed. These lists are great resources. I must say that I'm quite thrilled that another member recognizes such things and can understand the meaning of OBL vs. FACW-.

Sorry MTM, I just realized that I didn't address your main concern, permanently inundated tree species. You are correct, few tree species grow in permanently inundated conditions. You are also correct that the ones I suggested would have a much harder time in permanently inundated conditions than I led on. Growing trees from *the bottom* of the aquarium would indeed require trees of the VT category.

Sorry MTM, I just realized that I didn't address your main concern, permanently inundated tree species. You are correct, few tree species grow in permanently inundated conditions. You are also correct that the ones I suggested would have a much harder time in permanently inundated conditions than I led on. Growing trees from *the bottom* of the aquarium would indeed require trees of the VT category.

I hate to appear stupid but what did you mean by this "OBL vs. FACW-." Wet land trees might be used if the trunk is kept above the water but the list i sent you dose contain a few more than just cypress and water tupelo. i would like to hear about trees from other places that grow in standing water so I am starting a new thread, "Aquatic Trees"

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Scientist stuns experts by saying trees worsen greenhouse effect : Environment

Scientist stuns experts by saying trees worsen greenhouse effect

Hamburg- A leading expert in Germany has spawned a major scientific debate by claiming that trees put millions of tons of methane into the atmosphere every year exacerbating the greenhouse effect. Amid controversy, Dr Frank Keppler of the Max Planck ...

Posted : Mon, 14 May 2007 04:46:00 GMT

Author : DPA

Category : Environment

News Alerts by Email ( click here )

Create your own RSS

Environment News | Home

Hamburg- A leading expert in Germany has spawned a major scientific debate by claiming that trees put millions of tons of methane into the atmosphere every year exacerbating the greenhouse effect. Amid controversy, Dr Frank Keppler of the Max Planck Institute for Chemistry has reaffirmed findings by his team in Mainz, Germany, in January 2006 that they had detected methane exhaled from living

plants.

"I am 100 per cent confident that plants emit methane," he told Chemistry World magazine, insisting that as yet unpublished research would confirm his findings once and for all.

Keppler's unexpected discovery has caused heated debate among biologists and atmospheric chemists. Though bacteria in soil or decaying matter produce methane in anaerobic conditions, there seems to be no reason or mechanism for living plants to emit the gas in an oxygen-rich environment.

Trees worsen greenhouse effect!(?)

by egoigwe | May 15, 2007 at 07:14 am | 819 views | 6 comments

ew

by hilad

by egoigwe

slideshow view all 2

Hamburg- A leading expert in Germany has spawned a major scientific debate by claiming that trees put millions of tons of methane into the atmosphere every year exacerbating the greenhouse effect. Amid controversy, Dr Frank Keppler of the Max Planck ...

Hamburg- A leading expert in

Germany has spawned a major scientific debate by claiming that trees

put millions of tons of methane into the atmosphere every year

exacerbating the greenhouse effect. Amid controversy, Dr Frank Keppler

of the Max Planck Institute for Chemistry has reaffirmed findings by

his team in Mainz, Germany, in January 2006 that they had detected

methane exhaled from living plants.

"I am 100 per cent confident that plants emit methane," he told

Chemistry World magazine, insisting that as yet unpublished research

would confirm his findings once and for all.