Science Forums

Plant collectors?

Ganoderma

I wouldn't say I 'collect' plants, like an Orchid enthusiast or anything, but I will save seeds, and stuff..

I would like to build a nice greenhouse someday, but I have purchased some indoor growing equipment, including a balast, socket, hood, and high pressure sodium bulb.

In about month I plan on purchasing some good florescent bulbs and a metal hallide bulb.. those bulbs are expensive.

This way, the 3 different lights will support the growth, maturation, and flowering stages of tropical plants

florescent ---> metal hallide ---> high pressure sodium stages.

I have a lemon tree indoors here now, and its struggling, due to lack of warmth and sun. I like having plants in windows and around the place.

Herbs are fun. Its nice to plant a few varieites and look for recessives.

I managed to grow and maintain a portion of California poppy's, that are normally orange, into a recessive cream colored flower that pops up each Spring.

Selective breeding is a hobby of mine too (although mostly animals). its pretty fun but many of the ones I did outdoors got all mixed up with others around the hood...freaking bees.

I assume you are in Washington/Oregon/Idaho (Columbia river?). whets the winter like there? a friend of mine had a lemon tree about 100 km from Portland, although she protected it in the winter.

i was getting into the different bulb setups after using exclusively fluorescent for a long time, then i moved out of Canada. I’m curious, using the same amount of watts, is HPS/MH really that big an improvement? Fluorescent has come a ways and can be bought in all sorts of powers/temperatures etc. Is there specific reason you choose this method?

My other main interest is medicinal plants. I am just starting my garden here again with a bunch of new seeds. Some of my most anticipated plants are Withania somnifera, valerian, "purple haze" carrots (yes, carrots), and mescal bean. I am also going to be playing with CAM plants and growing conditions. i have seen some amazing things on the net with increased growth.

Found these little beauts at a local nursery for only 200 each (about $7 cdn). best find this year! i also found out that my Annona reticulata (custad apple) are still alive after being left with no water in 20-30 degree heat for a month (i was in canada).

Both Lophophora sp (i dont know what yet, but it will flower soon). both around 2" diameter and in height. grafted on dragon fruit. I am thinking of trying to graft more species onto dragon fruit seeing as its extremely common here.

i also bought this freak of a strawberry. there are small plants growing from the mishaped berries, one is even flowering! A strawberry from a strawberry :naughty: who woulda thunk?

Anyone here have a hobby (or profession) with collecting plants? I would love to discuss various techniques for acclimating, propogating various plants. one of my hobbies are ethnobotanicals. who else collects green stuff?

Nice photos Gano! :cup: I used to collect plants, primarily woody-stemmed for cultivation as bonsai. At one time I had near 200 potted trees and shrubs and some 60 different varieties. I gave them all but one away after a move a few years back. The remaining tree is a varigated cypress about 8 years old, which I brought inside this Fall and a couple weeks ago I noticed it was drying out and dropping leaves. I put it back outside, but just in time for sub-freezing temps so only time will tell if it has survived.

Off the top of my head the only medicinal trees I had were willows, which contain salicylic acid (aspirin). :shrug:

and a good root growth hormone too. willows are pretty. got any phtoos of your bonsai? i used to be into as well, although no where near as many as you, but i have since switched my patience testing plant interests to cacti.

i assume you of course tried out cedar as a bonsai? if so how did you do the watering? i failed MISERABLY trying to grow them things. it was the western red cedar.

and a good root growth hormone too. willows are pretty. got any phtoos of your bonsai? i used to be into as well, although no where near as many as you, but i have since switched my patience testing plant interests to cacti.

i assume you of course tried out cedar as a bonsai? if so how did you do the watering? i failed MISERABLY trying to grow them things. it was the western red cedar.

I didn't know Willows had a root-growth hormone! Is that why they root so easily in just water? I had Black Willow, Weeping Willow, Corkscrew Willow, and Sallow Willow.

Here's a photo of the dying Cypress bonsai:

In taking the photo I realized I do have anapple seedling in a post I started from seed last year. Old habits die hard. :)

I had one Western Red Cedar that I collected in the wild and grew in a large hollowed-out block of pumice. I don't recall doing any special watering other than trying to not let it dry out. I think the person I gave it to reported it had died. :hi:

excellent! what ya got growing?

i just had a bunch of cacti sprout. also my purple carrots just poked their heads, i am very excited to see what they look like!

I had some withania somnifera but none of them seem to be good anymore (old seeds), so i am a little disappointed. actually many of my seeds appear to be duds now :cup:

if its allowed, does anyone know of a good source of more uncommon herbs/medicinal plants? such as withania, nicotiana (rustica preffered), more uncommon mint species (not varieties) etc... so far i am stuck with ify companies i dotn know about and richters herbs (fairly good selection but sometimes their seeds suck/old).

a special treat for me this morning. Lophophora williamsii flower! looking forward to setting more seeds. i also had a cereus peruvianus flowering at only 2' tall but the wnd blew it off my deck. the short and sweet of it is...its juice :(

anyway still a happy day. also had a bunch of seeds sprout today.

flower

Pollen