Science Forums

Scientific American Online for Free

raburmester

This is my first real post! I just want to let everyone know about something great that I recently discovered. There is an excellent collection of complete Scientific American issues available for free. Here's a link to the January 2007 issue:

Link removed due to suspected copyright violation.

They are in PDF format, but are embeded in HTML, so you don't have to download them. I just thought this was pretty cool and that some of you might like to know about it.

What's the big deal a substantial content is already available on the official website of the publication

Scientific American Magazine Table of Contents: January 2007 Issue

It appears that robermester's primary intention is to advertise the site, which I believe is against the policy of Hypography. I wonder how the moderators and admins have overlooked this. I visited the site, I find the idea attractive, may be admins of Hypography can emulate some of its features in near future. :)

What's the big deal a substantial content is already available on the official website of the publication

Magazines will sometimes publish online some (or part of) their most recent edition's articles as 'teasers' to get you to either go out and buy the magazine, or subscribe for online content. They will never publish the most recent edition complete, free of charge. This seems to be a clear copyright violation.

It appears that robermester's primary intention is to advertise the site, which I believe is against the policy of Hypography.

That it is, but only if he's making money out of it. If it is primarily for scientific interest, there's nothing wrong with it. We actually do have a forum dedicated to websites and such, specifically for this purpose.

I wonder how the moderators and admins have overlooked this.

They haven't. Read the first two replies to this post.

I visited the site, I find the idea attractive, may be admins of Hypography can emulate some of its features in near future. :)

What - copy entire magazines to .pdf, put them on the 'net and completely ignore copyright? Somehow, that does not sound like such a good idea.

It's their content. They can publish the whole issue if they want. Me thinks it would be rather difficult for someone to violate their own copyright.

It appears that robermester's primary intention is to advertise the site, which I believe is against the policy of Hypography. I wonder how the moderators and admins have overlooked this.

They haven't and robermester may well find this has gotten more attention than desired.

I’m pretty sure scribd.com user Richard Block is in violation of their TOS and copyright law. From Scribd - Terms

You will not (i) submit material that is copyrighted unless you are the owner of those rights or have permission to post that material, … Scribd can remove such submissions and can terminate user accounts for these violations
He’s certainly not the owner of all of the content of an issue of Scientific American, and I strongly doubt he has their permission to post them on scribd. As he’s been posting whole sciamdigital.com pdf files (exact matches), and nothing but sciamdigital issues, since 11/1/2006, I’d say scribd is a bit lax on enforcing it’s TOS.

Though I’m not familiar with it, scribd.com seems a nice, small, free service for people to share their work on the internet, which Richard Block appears to be abusing. Though no money appears to be being made, and I can understand why someone would feel the urge to put sciams online for free – their $40/year subscription cost is, IMHO, too high – it’s still, IMHO, a no-no.

I suspect robermester’s intentions are friendly, wishing merely to let us hypographers know about what appears to be a valuable free resource. If, however, she is the naughty pirate Richard Block, or in league with same, shame on her!

He’s certainly not the owner of all of the content of an issue of Scientific American, and I strongly doubt he has their permission to post them on scribd.

It seems not since they have all been removed at the request of Scientific American itself....