Science Forums

Video Streaming

TINNY

If you still need assistance I have some articles and tutorials on-line to help you. You can check it out at:

http://webflixcinema.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewforum.php?f=2

Also, if you really want to learn more how-to information on preparing videos for the web. I'll be teaching a 1-Day Video Streaming and Compression Class on March 4, 2005 in Orlando, Florida. Here's more information about the class:

http://www.geniusdv.com/classes/application.php?operation=listClasses&entry=20

If you need addtional questions answered please let me know.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

derrick,

Do you know much about Premiere Pro?

There's this option for encoding the video called 'WMA 9 PAL Streaming' or something like that. The thing is, the file it produces is quite big, but I think it is because it stores info for all types of internet connection into one file. Does it mean that windows media player can automatically detect the connection speed of the viewer and select the best bandwidth option? There are also other option where you can choose the bandwidth, such as 'WMA 9 PAL 128kbps Streaming' which suggests that the encoding will suite a 128kbps connection user.

I have experience with Adobe Premiere but none with Premiere Pro

First let me say that the PAL setting should never be used in the United States. We use the NTSC video standard here in the states. PAL is the standard that is used across seas. I'm not sure exactly where. You would only use it if someone specifically asked you to. Always look for NTSC as the settings you use for video here.

*The setting you mentioned WMA PAL streaming

I'm not sure about the setting you discussed but one file can have multiple bit rates of movies specifically for different users i.e 28kbps, 128kbps, 256kbps etc. (Sometimes it shows up a MBR or Intelligent streaming)

*The other setting you mentioned WMA PAL 128kbps streaming

The streaming does mean that it is for someone with a connection that will allow them to experience 128kbps streaming. Basically, meaning they have a large enough pipe (enough bandwidth) to see the movie.

Lastly stands WMA (Windows Media Audio) and WMV stands (Windows Media Video)

Hope that helps.

derrick, I always use the PAL instead of NTSC coz i'm from malaysia. we're a multinational community (MNC) here. hehe..

I'm not sure about the setting you discussed but one file can have multiple bit rates of movies specifically for different users i.e 28kbps, 128kbps, 256kbps etc. (Sometimes it shows up a MBR or Intelligent streaming)
can you elaborate more on this? is it really intelligent in the sense that wma files can stream at different speeds according to the users' pipeline?

thanks

has anyone mentioned shdtv?

3840x2400 (4:3) computer display

3840x2160 (16:9) hdtv at a better resolution for large displays that doesn't look blown up?

given the shared value of 3840 i'm thinking this display (48-60 inches) could easily be dual mode switching from desktop to hdtv mode both progressive for the insane power user (in one display built by LG sharpe or toshiba).. like myself.. who finds hdtv 1080i to be a chumps resolution (a global digital standard to get rid of pal secam and the rest in favor of one internet friendly resolution), merely a standard by which all inferior standards can burn with envy of, though there is much better such as shdtv. i'm trying to guage the need for this resolution for videophiles (with accompanynig audio of 11.1 for audiophiles). i'm thinking that next gen consoles and hdtv broadcast deserve something better than the current mediocre standard of 1080i.

anyone else think 1080i is just a standard and not good enough for your lounge?

I'm sorry if you are from Malaysia then PAL is right for you. Sorry about that. It does allow for multiple bitrates it just depends on what settings are available in the software you use. Sorenson Squeeze Compression suite allows Multiple Bit rate encoding (one streaming file many bit rates).
no, i already mentioned premiere pro can do the job. is it different from that Sorensen software?

referring to the multi bit rate files, how does it work? who detects the connection speed of the user? or is there no need?

this is really cool stuff!

Yes Premiere pro is different from Sorenson Compression Suite. Compression Suite is professional video encoding and compression software. For the multiple bit rate setting you would create a Low speed version of your video and a High speed version of your video. In the low speed compression setting before you do your compression you would determine the bit rates or speeds for the low speed users i.e. 16k. 28k, 35k.

In the high speed compression setting before you do your compression you would determine the bit rates or speeds for the high speed users i.e. 100k. 225k, 300k.

You then apple your settings to the videos then you get 2 videos compresed but inside those videos it has those three settings I mentioned. So when some connects at 43k they will receive the 35k version of the movie. If someone connects to your video at 500k then they will get the 300k version.

The process basically delivers easily the best availabilty video for the users instead of having them figure out if what version they need

that still doesn't answer my question of how does the multi-bitrate thing works. using it is simple, just click the preset already in premiere. but i'm asking about the mechanism.

premiere pro is not a professional one but sorenson compression suite is? that's strange coz i've never heard of that software.