Science Forums

Video Streaming

TINNY

Can anyone help me on how to do online video streaming?

All I know is that you use Windows Media Encoder to compress and optimize it, then put in the "<embed></embed>" tag to link it with the file.

1. Is it that simple?

2. What about using RealMedia and Quicktime? Suggest some encoders and how to embed in HTML

3. Give some tips on compression and optimization

4. How can I put a button to intialize when the video starts playing? What's the code?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh... that's what I'm looking for. I'll check it out. Thanks alex.

Anyway, can anyone tell how to embed RealMedia videos? Somehow, it is different from just using the "<embed>" tag that I use for windows media player. What happens is that it'll request you to download the realmedia plug-in. I downloaded it, but still the same thing. There's nothing wrong with running winME right? I also tried to just simply link the page to the .ram file and choose "open from source" so that it'll stream on the realmedia player -then nothing happens.

Please2 give suggestions.

And you know where I can download videos on terrorism and GW Bush?

it is there on the page, but firefox does not have a plugin for it, i would change the format of that video to .mpeg so 90 percent of users can view it or at least downoad it and then play it, i understand that it might be a little bigger than the .rm, but at least you sould be able to see the thing playing. IE blocked it, and i can't find any program to play that .rm file, but there's nothing wrong with that embed statement...

ok, firstly you need to have quicktime installed to view the movie (because embed is a quicktime invoking command), secondly, you need to make sure you follow the right format with embed. <embed src="movie.mov" height="actual height + 16px if you want controller controls" width="actual width" cache="true"(for caching) controller="true"(for controls if you want to, default is false) kioskmode="false" (unless you dont want people be able to download the movie)>. And the other thing is try using .mov format for your movie.

Or another way out is just to provide a link so people can download the movie and view it at their convenience. Best way is to do both...

None of the converters were what I needed because they all convert to mpeg and avi. Only qucktime pro worked (I didn't buy though - got from warez). So Tormod, your suggestion of getting quicktime pro really helped. :wink: