Science Forums

Mp3 Free Music- Iriver U10

Consider this case, Worldwide Church OF God v Philadelphia Church Of God, one non-profit vs another non-profit.

Herbert Armstrong wrote "Mystery of the Ages" (MOA) and copyrighted it in the name of Worldwide Church of God (WCG). After Armstrong's died, WCG decided to stop distributing MOA (over nine million copies had been put into circulation

free of charge) because some of Armstrong's views had been discredited.

Some members of the WCG, that were devoted followers of Armstrong's work, decided to form their own church, Philadelphia Church Of God (PCG). When they ran out of copies of MOA they started making their own copies to give away. The WCG argued that this copyright violation robbed their church of potential members and the court agreed.

Non-profit is not an exemption for violating copyright law.

Upon further investigation it appears that the group who made the movie got explicit permission from George Lukas on the condition that it was a totally non profit operation.

Bill

...Today I own every single piece of software on my computer, from music tools to games. Granted, I have some MP3s ripped from my own collection, and a huge collection of MP3s from music-making friends online, but I have vowed not to put a single cracked piece of software on it.

I applaud you Tormod. Maybe those of us that have made a living or have seen the individuals that are affected by this type of theft gain a type of insight into this. Weather it is music, programs or other types of computer files, people that download these products and don't pay for them are stealing.

And just as you said, it is rare that there are not legal and free versions that will allow you to do the same thing. Free music, freeware, free digitized embroidery designs. But when an item is not free, and you like the product, why not support the people responsible for bringing you the product??

And would you believe it - I have heard one of my own tracks used as background music on a *famous* TV series? But I never was asked if it was okay, much less paid for it. So even big time producers steal their ****.
When that happens, it’s a good idea to contact the show’s production company and ask them for royalties. I’ve a friend (bluegrass musician, and a pretty good one) who heard a fragment of one of his songs played on the introduction to a television show. After a few hours of telephone conversation, he found himself a few $US thousand richer, plus a check every 6 months for as long as they continued to use his song. He says everyone he spoke to were very friendly and cooperative, and eager to pay him a usual royalty.

This same guy began getting an unusual number of emails from people he’d never met, and when he looked into why, they told him they’d bought him on iTunes. When he searched iTunes, he discovered over 20% of his catalog – over 50 tracks. He contacted iTunes, and they sent him a check, and set it up so that he receives a small (<$100) check every few months based on number of downloads.

The lesson here is that even the biggest companies will steal unless asked to stop, but will politely stop if asked. I’ve been told this is because the cost – either from the use of limited staff hours, or paying a company that specializes in it - of finding the copyright holder and arranging to pay him/her is so high that, for little-known works, producers and distributors face the choice of either stealing, or not using the songs at all. It appears that most chose the former, perhaps assuming that small-time artists – if they find out - are likely to be more thankful for the exposure than angry over the unpaid royalties.