Science Forums

Curious about Yawning

somebody

hey guys, sorry about asking these lame questions but i was really curious about yawning. It is fairly tipical for humans to yawn but i seem dogs and even cats yawning.. what's the reason behind taking deep breath in and then releasing it out.

and i have heard that when you are traveling, and your ears get blocks then by yawning they POP up. what's reason behind that?

thanks.

hey guys, sorry about asking these lame questions but i was really curious about yawning. It is fairly tipical for humans to yawn but i seem dogs and even cats yawning.. what's the reason behind taking deep breath in and then releasing it out.

Not lame at all, it is a good question:)

As I recall, yawning is the brain/body's way of getting more O2.

Anyone have any details?

Wiki does:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yawning

A yawn can express strong anti-social messages, and so in some cultures people try to mute or mask them by placing a concealing hand over the yawning mouth.

A long-standing hypothesis is that yawning is caused by an excess of carbon dioxide and lack of oxygen in the blood. The brain stem detects this and triggers the yawn reflex. The mouth stretches wide and the lungs inhale deeply, bringing oxygen into the lungs and hence to the bloodstream. It is almost certain however, that this hypothesis is not correct. One study has documented that this effect does not exist.

A more recent hypothesis is that yawning is used for regulation of body temperature. Another hypothesis is that yawns are caused by the same chemicals (neurotransmitters) in the brain that affect emotions, mood, appetite and other phenomena. These chemicals include serotonin, dopamine, glutamic acid and nitric oxide. As more of these compounds are activated in the brain, the frequency of yawning increases. Conversely, a greater presence in the brain of opiate neurotransmitters such as endorphins, reduces the frequency of yawning. Patients taking the serotonin reuptake inhibitor Paxil (Paroxetine HCl) have been observed yawning abnormally often. Another theory is that yawning is similar to stretching. Yawning, like stretching, increases blood pressure and heart rate while also flexing many muscles and joints. It is also theorized that yawning helps redistribute an oil-like substance which coats the lungs and aids breathing. Some have observed that if you try to stifle or prevent a yawn by clenching your jaws shut, the yawn is unsatisfying. As such, the stretching of jaw and face muscles seems to be necessary for a good yawn.

Some movements in psychotherapy such as Re-evaluation Counseling or co-counselling believe that yawning, along with laughter and crying are means of "discharging" painful emotion, and therefore can be encouraged in order to promote physical and emotional healing.

i definitely believe that yawning is a chain reaction because taking morning physics classes isnt really exiting when you have monotonic voice teaching you.

so as one person yawns so does the other ( if they have watched you yawn, so as infinite was explaining). NOt only in morning class but through out the day.

also what about the connection between yawning and ear popping? Also, what is happens to our ears during air plane trips, is it because of the ear muscles?

The ear is connected to the throat (:shrug:) by a 'eustachean tube'. When there are pressure differences between inside and outside the ear, then yawning occasionally opens up the eustachean tube enough for the air pressure to get equal on both places.

Since we percieve the pressure difference as ear 'blocks', the normalisation of pressure is sensed as an 'opening up'.

• 5 months later...

the strangest thing is the way in which some monkeys Yawn...especially when bored.

Monkeys can make a concerted 'effort' at making Yawning expressions... even ones that aren't effective 'real' yawns.

-I think that they are addicted to the feeling....and I understand why, the yawn usually gives a neat 'rush of content-ment', the Cat seems content anyway, without yawning, the dog is the same, and so are we.... but the monkey seems to be 'trying' to yawn, to illicit the feeling.

--Maybe the only reason the monkey don't evolve is because they are intouch with thier feelings, and feel that they are happy.

Maybe the only reason the monkey don't evolve is because they are intouch with thier feelings, and feel that they are happy.

I was thinking that it was physical constraints that lead to evolving over long times, not emotional and comfortable mental well-being. I didn't think happiness came into evolving, they will evolve anyway I think. In 10 million years, if they are still here, they would have evolved irrespective if they are happy. Would it be true to suggest this?

Asfor yawning, I wouldn't agree that they yawn for comfort. We just see an instant during broadcasting that shows how similar to use they are, by yawningwe can relate an programmes will show this trait, they must be tired or need oxygen, I believe that's always going to be the underlying reason, I don't believe there is anything more to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Have u ever noticed how hippie vegan types.. especially the males alos do that 'trie hard yawn' .. they also 'hold thier chin' alot more than the usualy male.

Maybe diet and mental state can also have alot to do with 'fake yawning' ... the hippie could be trying to 'reset' the facial expression they currently are making.

eg. conversataion .. hippie going on about PETA enthusiastically., audience shows contempt at his remarks,,, his enthusiastic facial expression needs to be 'reset', a fake yawn is instanciated so that a new facial expression can be set.

I think that people that are aware of thier facial expressions, but realise that it doesn't suit thier current feelings, or are trying to make an expression besides their feelings will find it usefull to make fake yawns... some of them are doing it so much they hold thier chin illiciting a 'constant resetting'... which comes off as a 'blank expression' - however smug the hand under the chin may appear.

so monkeys KNOW of thier outward appearance... hence make more concerted efforts at making the 'right' facial expression,, with the fake yawn as the TP expression.... babies also do such a yawn, especially when they are to express a new feeling they have not encountered (have you ever noticed that when you, for example make a baby happy by making fart noices, vs. happy that they already know of like breast feeding, at the piont of farting, the babies eyes light up, if they see that you are smiling, then they sort of do this 'oh oh, should I smile too?' expression, followed by a Yawning reset expression, untill they finally copy your facial expression.

--Autism is the parents teaching the wrong thing.