Science Forums

D.I.Y Planet Cooling

Yes, because the darker cows absorb more solar energy while all-white cows reflect it, thus producing less methane.

I'll bet you could get cap & trade credits for going with an all-white herd.

A lady came up to me on the street and pointed to my suede jacket. "You know a cow was murdered for that jacket?" she sneered. I replied in a psychotic tone, "I didn't know there were any witnesses. Now I'll have to kill you too." :thumbs_up

Buffy

Well, since we are slowly headed into another Solar Minimum, most likely akin to the Dalton Minimum, the going thing will be to produce as much warming abilities as possible. All this Global Warming Mumbo-Jumbo will be all forgotten in a decade. See if I am not correct.

PS: the sunspot activity has been almost all gone, since October of 2005, and it takes several years for all this lack of activity to affect us, but it is very slowly starting to do just that. One of the leading indicators of a coming little ice age is the tremendous rainfall that takes place all across Euroland. And Euroland has had perhaps the most rainfall it has had in over a century. I read it described as being of "biblical proportions" in Germany.

This would be such a blessing. How does it work?

I thought sunspots increased the cosmic particle flux--increasing the high clouds--cooling the planet; but...

I don't know much about the sun and how it affects climate.

Well, whatever....

It'd sure be nice if something would bring back the North Pole--returning our "normal weather" generator.

One of the leading indicators of a coming little ice age is the tremendous rainfall that takes place all across Euroland.

Wow, I'd sure like to see a link to that info. (hint, hint)

I thought sunspots increased the cosmic particle flux--increasing the high clouds--cooling the planet; but...

I don't know much about the sun and how it affects climate.

Obviously....

===

Correction:

NASA - Deep Solar Minimum

The solar wind helps keep galactic cosmic rays out of the inner solar system. With the solar wind flagging, more cosmic rays are permitted to enter, resulting in increased health hazards for astronauts.

...and presumedly increased clouds too.

...I knew there was some connection....

So this new unusual minimum is supposed to be like the Maunder Minimum?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone seen the possibilities of Azolla? it makes great animal feed, fertilizer, fixes nitrogen and grows so fast it can affect global warming and is though to have done so it the past.

Azolla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Azolla event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Azolla and Anaebaena Symbiosis

Green Manures - Azolla (Azolla spp.)

Has anyone seen the possibilities of Azolla? it makes great animal feed, fertilizer, fixes nitrogen and grows so fast it can affect global warming and is though to have done so it the past.

Thanks Moontaman

I have stolen what you have said and put it here

Permaculture discussion forum • View topic - Azolla

OK?

Thanks Moontaman

I have stolen what you have said and put it here

Permaculture discussion forum • View topic - Azolla

OK?

You might enjoy this Queensland link on Azolla, M.

http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/attachment/azolla_fact_sheet.pdf

Azolla has some amazing benefits, but it comes at a cost. It can be very invasive. It can lead to death of aquatic organisms by lowering dissolved oxygen and can clog waterways and irrigation pumps. For these reasons, I caution the use of it, especially outside of its native range.

• 5 months later...
Hey - here's a quick 'n easy DIY planet-cooling technique for y'all:

Whenever you boil a kettle, make sure that you ONLY use as much water in the kettle as needed.

For instance, if you wanna make only one cup 'o tea, have the water in the kettle only cover the element, so that it don't boil dry.

There's no point in boiling a full kettle for only one cup.

I've been doing this consciously for years, now, and I must say that my hometown is at least three degrees cooler because of this.

I've mentioned before how this bloody post haunts me.

Well this is impossible to do, given the state of jug-water-boiling-technology today. Something new needs to be developed so I can boil one cup/mug of water for my tea. It is far too hard to judge. Even if you measured the water out first jugs are designed to be filled by taps/faucets, not by poring a cupful in.

Also i have discovered cheap Chinese kettles/jugs have the quirky habit of continually turning themselves on and off until they boil dry! I have had three that do this now. It seems to happen when there is about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of water in the jug. The jug never seems to boil itself dry and burn my house down (yet), but you wonder if this is a possibility. !

If I want to see a cooler climate, I have three methods:

Wait, climate always changes.

Travel toward the nearest pole, it's cooler there, and

Head uphill, go to the mountains. If I climb far enough, I can even find a preindustrial eden of 280ppm by volume CO2.

But, I have to confess, I find cold weather painful. I like warm weather.

If I want to see a cooler climate, I have three methods:

Wait, climate always changes.

Travel toward the nearest pole, it's cooler there, and

Head uphill, go to the mountains. If I climb far enough, I can even find a preindustrial eden of 280ppm by volume CO2.

But, I have to confess, I find cold weather painful. I like warm weather.

An unhelpful, frivolous, stupid post.

Many climate change denialists say nothing can be done by humans to change the climate This simple thread belies that belief

An unhelpful, frivolous, stupid post.

Many climate change denialists say nothing can be done by humans to change the climate This simple thread belies that belief

I'm sorry you don't find my post helpful. Would it be appropriate to share what I think about cooling the planet by boiling only one cup of water to make a cup of tea?

Was not aware of the Azolla event, but if so, that's nothing short of amazing. Azolla has a long and venerable history in Asian agriculture and rice farming. Could probably see more widespread use. I'll need to think about this.

Fat consist out of mostly hydrogen and carbon chains.

So what has that to do with Planet Cooling?

Easy!

Become obese!

If everybody on Earth picked up another 30kgs (some of us can even aim for the couple-'o-hundred kg mark - but that takes commitment to the cause...), then we will remove 60,000,000 tons of carbon (if 33% of the fat is carbon). We must then make sure we get buried in hermetically sealed coffins, and the carbon will be sequestered underground! And this is an on-going process, because as people die, new little fatsos are born.

Also, fat people live shorter lives on average, cardiovascular issues doin' them in before their time. So their carbon footprint over their lifetimes will be smaller that fitness freaks who live way longer and end up consuming more energy for longer. A TV uses exactly as much power being watched by a fat person as it does being watched by a thin person. But an electric treadmill uses more power for a thin person who actually uses it, than for the fat dude who just sits and looks at it.

Become fat! Become lazy! Stop going to gym!

Worms are coming out earlier now because spring arrives earlier each year. Birds are responding to this by hatching their eggs earlier. America is the biggest (by far) contributor to atmospheric carbon pollution on the globe. Nature is responding to this by turning Americans into fat and lazy slobs.

Makes sense?

Right - I'm off to MacDonald's. I've gotta do my bit for global warming; I need to pick up at least thirty k's this year.

... Worms are coming out earlier now because spring arrives earlier each year. Birds are responding to this by hatching their eggs earlier. America is the biggest (by far) contributor to atmospheric carbon pollution on the globe. Nature is responding to this by turning Americans into fat and lazy slobs.

Ah, the science of Phenology

... (if 33% of the fat is carbon).

...and since CO2 is about 3 times the weight of carbon, the weight of any biomass (fat, meat, or plant material) is about equivalent to the amount of CO2 "removed" from the atmosphere - to "grow" that biomass.

===

Instead of trying to fatten up the rest of the world ...and make lots of money by treating the ensuing health problems... and by selling special coffins....

Why not just restore the whales to the oceans? At an average of about 25 tons/whale, if we brought back the 20 million whales that we killed back in the last couple of centuries, that would sequester -almost 10 times your gain- close to half a gigatonne of CO2.

And if we then restored the tuna populations... another full gigatonne of CO2.

===

But it sure is easier to get fat, than to restore the oceans, eh?

~ :P