Science Forums

Linux program developer... trained in the drunken art of windows. Help?

Alright question of the day.

Where the heck did my downloads go? They should be in a directory: home/kac/.amule/incoming

but I can't seem to locate that folder. Why not? I changed the download directory to something more accessable, but I still have the problem of finding those downloads... Anyone got a clue?

do something like this to try to find them:

do

# sudo slocate -u

let that go till the command finishes

then do

#locate .mp3

or any file which name you may know, like say you have some stuff that had system in its name, then you can locate system and it will display anyfile that has the word system in it

if you cant find any of the files, it may be a permissions issue or groups issue or something, hope you find it, but if not, post, actually post ls -lsah (dir where you are downloading to), and groups command output for your user, we'll try to figure it out :D

lastly, check out apollon, its a way better program for file sharing as it supports gnutella and openft networks (so thats all your kazaa and other sharing clients networks)

More questions, and comments.

Alright I just got done with one of the most frustrating days I have had with a computer in quiet some time. I got dropped out of my gui, it took me 10 hours to get back in. I changed my kernel and for some reason or another, my graphics card got essentially shut off. Hopefully though having the right kernel for my computer will keep the processor from locking up anymore.

I had the i386 and changed over to the k7 kernel, because i am running a AMD Duron 900mhz in this rig.

Here's the questions, how do I get my sound card to work? Does Linux natively support mp3's, if not then how do I make it support them?

Also, Text based web browsers rock! I would have been completely dead in the water if I hadn't had www-browser and irc from console.

I'll undoubtably have more challenges for your great wisdom, Alex. until then later :)

multimedia formats are not features of operating systems, hence can not have built in support, that term is mostly used to describe supported hardware :)

you will need lame for mp3 support, and is your sound card not working at all? then you will need alsa-base, alsa-oss, alsa-tools, alsa-utils, alsamixergui, hopefully that will get you some support of your sound architecture (what chipset is it (just open up a terminal and type in "lspci -v | less" and search for sound (use up/down to navigate and "Q" to exit))

Console runs on a different portion of the graphics card, and uses a reserved section of memory, if I remember my Video Graphics arcitecture. It has to do with legacy support of and standardization of the Ascii and/or unicode character set.

The so called higher functions take up another portion of the graphics card architecture. This is if it is the same basic architecture that I educated myself to know and understand to some degree.

My sound card has been working rather ok since I re-installed my desktop from Gnome/Ubuntu to KDE/Kubuntu, but it's a SBLive! card.

I realize that I have a long way to go before I actually understand what's under the hood of my machine.

Not broke, the higher functions, which require drivertage were shut off. As I understand it.

You plug a graphics card into the computer, and boot up for the first time. You can see all the low level stuff, the console prompts and such. Then it hits the OS and boots into the GUI, at which point you start using higher level stuff, like drawing windows and such. The Computer requires for this level a driver of somesort to run the graphics card in that enviroment.

Without the driver the console can still function, because it's hardware supported. They use firmware I think, though I am not absolutely sure. I've never found a satisfactory source of information regarding how the hardware, firmware and software all interacts to give the apperance that I see.

If I am wrong, then please do explain how and why.

Question: How come I can't seem to get Apollon to function?

I installed giFT, and setup my client but it won't connect with a error of

Connection error

An unhandled error was returned when trying to open a connection with the giFT daemon, which is responsible for connecting to the various networks. The reported error was:

Operation not permitted (1)

I am definitely missing something. I installed two plugins. libGnuella.so, and libOpenFT.so.

Apollon keeps reseting all my information though I think. I don't understand why.

Also I don't know if I have it pointed to the right thing for giFT. Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the apollon thing didn't work out. I couldn't find a p2p entry in the aforementioned file and now I have a more puzzling issue.

My CD rom and CD Rw+- doesn't work. I can put cds into them but I can't get them to run and I don't know where to go in my Kubuntu system. (Changed over from the normal Gnome-debian Ubuntu system a little while ago... I think I liked have the Ubuntu system better. This one reminds me to much of windows and is frustrating to navigate...)

Well I hope to here from you people soon, and thanks allot!

if its audio, start the audio player program, if its data, and it dont automagically mount for some reason, you may need to monunt the cd by hand via #mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom command (just use tab autocomplete, if its cdrom1 or something like that, and you may or may not need sudo)

and they are all one, you can switch to gnome if you install gnome or whatever, like you can install kubuntu via installing kubuntu-desktop. (not sure, i think may be ubuntu-desktop to change to ubuntu, or just gnome and a bunch of packages... something along the lines)

• 2 weeks later...
Question. I have a file called dockingstation.run it is supposed to install a linux version of the creatures game. I have no idea how to run the file. I'vee tried it with little success.
probably a file attribute problem. Try:

chmod a+x dockingstation.run

Then:

dockingstation.run

If it chokes on that, then its not executable. If its a text file, it might need a different shell to run it, but I haven't seen that problem in years.... try sh or csh or tcsh or something like that (if this is a problem, question the sanity of the developer who was too lazy to put the #!/bin/sh at the beginning of the file).

Shelley,

Buffy