Science Forums

Genetic memory

magic

I can quite clearly remember my great-great-great-(insert another few greats here)-grandfather's wisdom:

"Dangling in branches suck. Let's start walking and use these hands for better things..."

I remember that on a genetic level, however. Each time I use my hands, freed from walking upright!

But when our genetic memory became too limited, we invented brains in order to store cultural memory.

...and when our brains became too limited, we humans have invented another kind of memory. So far the only known animal to do it, we invented the written word! We build libraries because of our genetic as well as cranial limitations... but it could be argued to be a continuation of the same process.

Could the internet, however jumbled it may seem at times, be the next step in the storing and accessing of data, that started on a simple genetic level?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Present day proponents of genetic memory (more often called racial memory)may point to studies in Nature versus nurture, epigenetics and often maternal effects. Nevertheless, it is largely a fringe hypothesis, and is often connected with sci-fi.

"Junk DNA" in eukaryotic DNA might help in the transmission of "racial/ancestral memories". Most neuroscientists believe long-term memories are built into the brain by creating and strengthening synapse links amongst neurons, which can than recreate memories late on in life, but these connections are not permanent and stable. (Most molecules associated with memory are replaced weekly).

We haven’t been able to understand how long term memories are stored for years, but some neuroscientists suggest explanations. Neurobiologist Sandra Pena de Ortiz suggests that an stored blueprint of each neural network (in order to create the replacement neuron as a structural) is the answer. I’m not sure what figures you know of, but I believe that 40% of personality traits are inherited. Being as 97% of DNA has no obvious function, this seems quite a believable explanation to me.

Hi,

I thought we were on a scientific forum.

Such affirmation without any kind of proof or logical argument is just a... thought. ;)

Jung had al ot to say about racial/genetic memory archetypes etc.

He is fascinating to read so different from his contemporaneous Freud.

I remember reading "Travels with Charlie" by John Steinbeck where re he watched people in a boat shop 'knock' on the boat and listen. He saw dozens of people doing this and wondered if it was some kind of racial memory checking to see if the boat was sound