Science Forums

Genetic memory

magic

Much of memory is "genetic", if by "genetic" we suggest that it is found to be expressed in future generation.

Memory is a biological process and product. Its base element exists in ALL life forms including in plants, in the form of an immune system. Biologically speaking all memories are stored "tagged molecules" resulting from a cascade of chemical steps initiated by any of a variety of "memory initiators". I think.

Dov

Further on this subject:

- Of course all genomes of all life forms are packages of "genetic memories".

- Those packages are cooperative communes of interdependent individual genes, each of which performs the task(s) which is(are) his share in the overall cooperative effort for survival (proliferation) of the total genome commune.

- The "memories/tasks/functions/expressions" of each of the member genes undergo modifications in response to changing ambient circumstances, for improving survival/proliferation chances.

- The initiators of the gene's modifications are either changing ambient physical circumstances or, yes, even changing what we term "cultural" circumstances since "cultural" factors are in-effect biological factors. I think.

Dov

- what about like remembering stuff from our ancestors kinda thing?

These indeed are our geno- and pheno-type genome packages, inherited.

- These kind of stuff seems largely pseudo-scientific IMHO.

How is it possible to remember that you inherited something from your grand-aunt but still unable to benefit from her varicella protection?

"Tagged"/modified/"mutated" genomes persist and function in new generations. They are living organisms, dwelling in their self-made protective cells. Other tagged molecules/proteins serve the bearer organism until it dislives and its energy content returns to the Cosmic Grand Energy Pool. I think.

Dov

Yes. This is a fascinating subject.

A. Very few persons comprehend/realize that each of us, like every other living Earth organism, is actually a space station consisting of many individual spaceships/cells, each of which housing a tiny it/him/her-selves/edition.

B. Each of us humans is a space station comprising circa 10^13 spaceships-human-cells each of which comprising a tiny elementary edition (genome) of each of our selves. Additionaly each of us-space-station comprises circa 10^14 bactetria (and 500 different integrated retroviruses) spaceships-cells that also colonize our body/space-station.

C. When you comprehend this you realize that your functionable genome is the basic you, and that your store of genetic memories persists as long as your tiny basic edition lives, in your space-station (your own body) or in the space-station organised and formed by you, your progeny.

D. BTW, when you comprehend this you realize that cooperation in all its forms is the basis of all life and of survival of life.

Dov

There is this, my pet thought! Thoughts prevade the universe, they are not destroyed. Each one of us is tuned to receive only certain thoughts, so we often 'remember' events towhich we were not a witness.

This is a thought for future scientific investigation, not something that has been scientifically proved as yet:)

Dov,

There is a misunderstanding there! I do not support anything about the content of these links. There seems absolutely nothing true and supported by facts.

I confess that having seen the layout of the links I simply promptly got out of them...thus I refered to them diplomatically, UN's Anan style...

Dov

Hi,

I thought we were on a scientific forum.

Such affirmation without any kind of proof or logical argument is just a... thought. :)

Before putting such statements its wiser to quote the post to which you are responding. You can do so, by clicking on the small button you can spot if you just look at the bottom of the window of the post!

Anyway science really progresses only through such thoughts. Ever heard of the story how Kekule discovered the aromatic structure of Benzene.

Only now it dawns on me that in #11 post Somasimple refers to hallenrm's #10 post re "Thoughts prevade the universe"...I think.

I join in asserting that No Thought Pervades No Universe, and sugges that a thought is only entertained in sombody/ies' mind(s) ...

"Thoughts pervade..." is reminiscent of the absurd/ridiculous meme thing...

Dov

Before putting such statements its wiser to quote the post to which you are responding. You can do so, by clicking on the small button you can spot if you just look at the bottom of the window of the post!

I was just responding to the previous post, so IMHO, it wasn't necessary to quote the text.

Anyway science really progresses only through such thoughts. Ever heard of the story how Kekule discovered the aromatic structure of Benzene.

A thought is a mental/cerebral process resulting of neurons activations. When a brain/human being dies, the "immortality" of his thoughts remains through his writings and works.

Just bring a beginning of logical argument/fact that shows that a physical process is able to be transformed in an immaterial "energy" thing.

Just bring a beginning of logical argument/fact that shows that a physical process is able to be transformed in an immaterial "energy" thing.

If I understand you correctly, I quote myself :

"At the beginning the universe was the energy singularity.

At the end it will be (near) zero mass and an infinite dispersion of the beginning energy. (I suggest a mathematical representation...)

In-between, the universe undergoes continuous evolution, its evolution consisting of myriad energy-to-energy and energy-to-mass-to-energy transformations".

Dov