Science Forums

Radiation Phones

LJP07

I heard that hand-held household phones emit radiation and can possibly be the cause of disease. Even when the phone is on the stand, it's still supposed to emit small amounts of radiation and people are supposed to be advised against using them. However, I haven't heard any physical proof of this anywhere on the net, but yet it's supposed to have some degree of proof. Would it be possible for phones with that type of connection to conduct radiation, and if so, would these hand-held household phones be much different from normal household phones which too could emit radiation in very small but over time detrimental effects.

Let's look at the issue rationally. We all live in an environment that is teeming with electromagnetic radiations of different frequencies, say the electromagnetic waves for TV the microwaves etc. etc. Electromagnetic waves are also generated from many electrical gadgets. So your question boils down to the intensity of the em waves used for telephones, cordless or mobile. So far as I know the em radiation from the phones used commonly becomes rather weak within a few inches away from the transmitter and is quite harmless. But there are phones of all kinds, maybe the phone you are referring to uses a powerful transmitter, in that case your concern could be justified.

There have been indeed some studies regarding the influence of em waves from a mobile phone, which do indicate that when the phone is kept very close to the body for a long time it can cause damage to the brain, but normally it is not usual that people will use a mobile phone very close to their body for such long durations. Same is the case with radiations from a microwave oven.

In relation to the Microwave Oven, would the Electromagnetic Radiation be powerful enough to do severe damage seen as it's heat, for example if you cooked something for 15 minutes, and open the Microwave, would you be in more contact with radiation there and would there be radiation coming from above the Microwave.

Also, what type of damage could these household appliances possibly do to the human brain?

You seem paranoid... I'd be more worried about the exhaust from vehicles and the religious inspired hatred in the world than radiation from phones and microwave ovens.

Don't be the guy who smokes a pack of cigarettes per day but freaks out because of some email spam that says red food dye causes cancer. Do some research, and use the knowledge you gain to help you prioritize for yourself what does and what does not merit caution.

Cheers. :)

In relation to the Microwave Oven, would the Electromagnetic Radiation be powerful enough to do severe damage seen as it's heat, for example if you cooked something for 15 minutes, and open the Microwave, would you be in more contact with radiation there and would there be radiation coming from above the Microwave.

Also, what type of damage could these household appliances possibly do to the human brain?

I would suggest that you read the article in wikipedia of which I have provided the link in my previous post, particularly the section on dangers.

You seem paranoid... I'd be more worried about the exhaust from vehicles and the religious inspired hatred in the world than radiation from phones and microwave ovens.

Don't be the guy who smokes a pack of cigarettes per day but freaks out because of some email spam that says red food dye causes cancer. Do some research, and use the knowledge you gain to help you prioritize for yourself what does and what does not merit caution.

Cheers. :shrug:

I'm not paranoid, just asking a knowledgable Physics person about these effects as I heard little about it. I'm not worried about it, just curious to see if it's true to some degree. I don't freak out because of emails, I don't smoke, and I do research, and I was finding out what merits caution and what doesn't.

So I can categorically say " Your post has everything wrong with it! ":hihi::hyper::hihi:

You don't want to worry about "radiation". That's a bogeyman word. I mean, sunlight is "radiation". So's the light from your computer screen. Media types talk about radiation when they want to scare you, which is how they make their living.

What you want to look at is something called "radio heating". Sure, mobile phones do heat up the tissue inside your head. But not much. Like about a hundredth of a degree. You get more problems listening to your music on headphones.

PS: the latest bogeyman scare story is that mobile phones cause brain tumours. There will be more stuff like this, you can count on it. And not just about mobile phones.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory?id=1815368

I know, Mercedes. My brother-in-law has worked on radio heating for some time. But that won't stop the scare stories. Those newspaper types love to tell you that this or that is bad for you.

True, true.

I would be more worried about certain radio frequencies (such as those used with large satellite dishes). If you stand in front of one of those, your skin could start to burn (literally).