Science Forums

Hair.

DarkColoredLight

What would cause a random hair color change?

In early picture of my father he was blond haired. But, today he has brown hair.

I am seeing similar changes on a different scale with my hair. I would say my hair is dark brown if the hair color question was asked. But, if this random mutation, or evolution as some might call it, takes over, I'll have to say something along the lines of reddish bronze.

So far I can see one hair that is of this color, and one root that is slowly growing my hair to this color. Note these hairs are just the ones I've found and can see. Meaning not the ones on the back of my head. Among that change is the rapid growth and shedding of my hair. Never has my hair grown and shed this dang fast. I almost wish I can let it grow and see what really happens over time, but fear this experiement won't go over smoothly with the working class. As for the location of said mutant hair, they have been found in the lower left portion of my head. With the view point directly above my head. aka just above my right eye.

Now, I'm pretty sure this thread goes in the biology forum, because I'd like to discuss other obervations of evolutions concerning hair. I.E. Hairy v "hairless"/Blond v brunette/curly v straight/ etc v etc.

Or, some interesting articals about hair evolution, hair lines, blah blah blah, what ever you got about hair.

What would cause a random hair color change?

Sudden hair color change may occur as a reaction to trauma, or complete hairloss altogether. The range of hair maladies falls under the general heading of Alopecia. I can't find the term for change in color, but total loss is called Alopecia totalis

I know a woman who suffered alopecia totalis as a child when she witnessed her fathers death; she wears a wig to this day. Barbara Bush's hair turned white in a matter of weeks when one of her sons died. That's all there is and hair ain't no more.:eek2: :hihi:

Not too much trauma but plenty of drama in my life. :hihi:

What are the chances that this mutation continues? Giving me a full head of reddish bronze natural colored hair.

Hair changes color with age as well. I was blond as a baby & toddler, then my hair turned brown with auburn highlights. I don't think mutation is the proper term. Have you Googled hair color science ?

http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_59.htm;jsessionid=YSJZOH0LOKR5HQFIAJ1C0HWAVABHOLKG

Some say that liver damage leades to grey hair.

Have you ever been to a Guinness Irish concert?

They all have grey hair (like me)

I love Guinness! but I have only been to a celtic concert!

Your hair color might be changing because of stress! Before my parents got divorced my mom had beautiful blonde hair, about 2 or 3 months after the divorce her hair started turning gray.

It is true that hair color can change due to stress... but it is also just something natural that occurs.

I was blonde for the first few years of my life, then my hair turned brown.

I guarentee that nothing stressful occured during that time, but it just... happened.

I think it's encoded in your genes... perhaps it served a purpose at one point in time, and still exists now --albeit without a purpose. Sort of like a vestigial structure.

• 7 months later...

Scientists discover why hair goes gray

Scientists discover why hair goes gray

By Simon Pitman

All news for March 2007

All news for February 2007

3/28/2007 - Scientists researching into skin cancer have stumbled on an explanation as to why hair follicles turn gray, although a magic cure is still a long way off.

A report posted on the journal Science by the Boston-based Dana-Farber Cancer Institute traces the loss of hair color to the gradual dying off of adult stem cells, called melanocytes, that provide a reservoir for the renewal of pigment-manufacturing cells.

A popular radio jock here, Richard Glover, has half his listeners on a no-wash-hair campaign.

It is the theory that if you just rinse your hair in water and do not use soap or shampoo your hair will look great with natural oils in 6 weeks.

The Great Shampoo Experiment: Is shampoo a ripoff? Richard - and hundreds of listeners - are testing the theory that you can live without shampoo! Read more...

Our picture shows a brave Brave Jean Kittson takes her life into her own hands by putting Richard's No-Shampoo hair to the smell test during the TGIF live show at Parramatta.

702 Drive » ABC Sydney

Originally Posted by orbsycli

Something to ponder...

Hair are antenni.

EG. Einstein

Oh dear god why?

Anyway. I think a lot of blond children's hair becomes darker as they grow older, both me and my brother were blond and got darker as we got older, around adolescence. This can be, to an extent reversed by the sun; my fathers hair didn't lost it's blondeness until he was in his early twenties, probably because he spent a lot of time in the sun. I'm not sure if the bleaching effect of the sun on most hair is a reversal of the same effect as the darkening of hair as you mature, or two separate mechanisms, but I think it's interesting.

My hair started off a bit lighter brown when I was younger. Now it's almost black, although reddish brown in the sunlight, thanks to my dad's genes. My brother had a shock of very light brown hair until he was about 10 or 11, as it gradually darkened to mix with the rest of his dark brown hair.

blonde = content

brunette = thinker (!cnotent)

redhead = both

dark haired blonde = not content with being content = thinking

light haired brunette = content with thinking = content

slight redhead = one of the above...browner is thinker, lighter/blonder is content.

puts a new spin on the phrase dumb blonde?

PostusScriptum: blondes can be really smart...but they are content at all times, thinking is restricted to quick solutions, the brunette ponders for longer periods, the redhead can decide which way they choose to live thier lives.

Those that change hair colour are usually activating that part of thier thought process to live the reminder of thier lives in that manner. Offspring that are of 'off' colour to the parents, usually reflect the thought pattern of the parents from concption to birth, to finally the piont where the offspring's mind changes the physical trait, in some cases it never ends up changing....especially so when the parents exhibit the trait in life .eg a blonde child to brunette parents means the parents exhibit content attitudes toward life, if they start teaching the child about thinking about themselves, than usually the child will go brunnette. RedHeads are the result of a sporadic lifestyle, which the Druids and Celts probably did exhibit in thier daily lives, and probably a direct correlation can be extrapolated from the blonde content pilaging Vikings of nordic climate trangressing to a non-content island of constant change, my guess that the first redhead gene is probably not very old at all.

---Absolute dark haired races - totalitarian societies. -interstng study would be to see any gradual hair lightneing in the Japanese pop over the last 60yrs. (doubt it though, they are still somewhat totalitarian) and to test just how akin that dark haired gene is to the primordial chimp hair gene.... in other words the dark hairs are closer to thier ancestral genes than the mishmash that is europe.

PPS (not being anti semitic) the Jewish lineage has recently started producing RedHeads - I highly doubt that the lineage can be brought back to a druid or celt, infact I would postulate that the gene has evolved seperatley to any Britannia gene. (the same thing can be seen in south america aswell, where a good proportion of redblonde haired portuspains have evolved contnetment thinkers.)

blonde = content

brunette = thinker (!cnotent)

redhead = both

dark haired blonde = not content with being content = thinking

light haired brunette = content with thinking = content

slight redhead = one of the above...browner is thinker, lighter/blonder is content.

I'm guessing you're not a brunette then?

• 3 weeks later...
I love Guinness! but I have only been to a celtic concert!

Your hair color might be changing because of stress! Before my parents got divorced my mom had beautiful blonde hair, about 2 or 3 months after the divorce her hair started turning gray.

Yes not only hair it seems but all the body

Too Much Stress May Give Your Genes Gray Hair

New York Times

A team of researchers has found that severe emotional distress - like that caused by divorce, the loss of a job, or caring for an ill child or parent - may speed up the aging of the body's cells at the genetic level.

The researchers found that blood cells from women who had spent many years caring for a disabled child were, genetically, about a decade older than those from peers who had much less caretaking experience. The study, which appears in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, also suggests that the perception of being stressed can add years to a person's biological age.

And when the researchers compared the DNA of mothers caring for disabled children, they found a striking trend: after correcting for the effects of age, they calculated that the longer the women had taken care of their child, the shorter their telomere length, and the lower their telomerase activity. Some of the more experienced mothers were years older than their chronological age, as measured by their white blood cells.

The researchers also gave the women a questionnaire, asking them to rate on a three-point scale how overwhelmed they felt by daily life, and how often they were unable to control the important things in their lives. The women who perceived that they were under heavy stress also had significantly shortened telomeres, compared with those who felt more relaxed - whether they were raising a disabled child or not.

She said the group had plans to test the effect of meditation, mindfulness training and yoga on both perceived stress and telomere length.

Fat Knowledge

This is bizarre but I am told that a remedy for grey hair is to frequently rub the nails on your right hand with the nails on your left and vice versa.

Well no not exactly vice versa, just rub them together!(your nails)