Science Forums

The how and why of the Mayan end date 2012

neuroflux

John Major Jenkins, a expert on Mayan calendrix and author of the awesome book

"MAYAN COSMOGENESIS" wrote this essay, and for those interested in this topic will enjoy his research.

http://www.levity.com/eschaton/Why2012.html

I found a great explaination of the hows, and whys of the Mayans obssesion with TIME.

http://www.ancientx.com/nm/anmviewer.asp?a=49&z=1

Neuroflux

If the whole point of 2012 is an ending point, and since the linked article discusses that this is a "grand cycle", then it simply looks to me like you start again with the same count. That is, it is a series of epicycles. Drawing on the analogy of gears, in a mesh of gears, the numble of cyceles required to bring them all to some arbitrary alignment is the product of the number of their teeth. For example if you mesh a gear of 10 teeth with a gear of 5 teeth & mark a conjoined pair, those marks wont realign until 5x10 =50 teeth (cycles) of the meshed gears.

My point is once the grand cycle is executed, all possible combinations of teeth are exhausted, but the gears continue on and begin a new grand cycle.

Because the planets & seasons have elliptical cycles, they may also have seen that they needed to build a new calendar by that time, but never survived to do so.:D

Why would you move this to strange claims?

The Mayans had a very intricate system of astronomy, and cosmology, It is not a strange claim it is a FACT.

What the ****? they had the most complicated and even calendar based on planets, and the stars.

What is so strange about that?

i find the fact you moved it strange.

Neuroflux

What the ****? they had the most complicated and even calendar based on planets, and the stars.

You and Orby... I tell ya. You seem like twins.

Anyway, I think it was moved to the strange claims forums because the article discussed some slightly non-factual themes....

...despite the general, overall topic of Mayan astronomy.

Since this is in strange claims, I have to tend to believe that the Mayans predicted the end of our current astrological age/time. What they left out, unknowingly or in some secret code (I have little knowledge on the subject) is the new age. I believe it to be the age of aquarius, unless I stand corrected.

Hopefully this age of aquarius is much like that of the 60's except without the need of drugs. Instead people that are ready will be thrown into this new age and forced to come together for the greater good, causing world wide love and respect for each other. A sort of utopia if you will. But, as history will repeat it's self this utopia will fail and a new utopia will take over. Meaning the life we, 1st world countries, live in now would look like heaven to a caveman, but the new order will look like hell to the one's that are born into it. Forcing them to create a new system which they will consider heaven.

I hope I'm making sense, but fear I've gone off track with this thread.

NF, I would like to remind you to hold your tounge in the presence of admins. Although you are right in you opinion that the Mayans are not a strange claim, admins are never wrong, and if you say they're wrong you'll get the boot. So play nicely, and take one for the team, so I can respond to your "strange claims" and you can respond back.

Maybe we're all the children of a star, misguided in direction, our misdirection, pardon me while I pray for light,

DCL

No, I'm so sincere. Admins are, by definition, higher in the hiarchy that us regular posters. They have a gift from god(s) to reign their judgements upon us, and banish us from this society. They are not human, they are more than human. I am not human, I am less than human. This is the way of the internet, where no humans are to be found.

The people that pay for the rules, are the people that enforce the rules. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that money is a god, just that god(s) need money to survive, they're dependant on it. Why do you think there's communion in churches?

Back to the subject, NF, do you think there's a weird connection, or relationship, between the Mayan end date and Terence McKenna's timewave zero? Further more the Age of Aquarius, as stated in my above post.

No, I'm so sincere. Admins are, by definition, higher in the hiarchy that us regular posters. They have a gift from god(s) to reign their judgements upon us, and banish us from this society. They are not human, they are more than human. I am not human, I am less than human. This is the way of the internet, where no humans are to be found.

The people that pay for the rules, are the people that enforce the rules. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that money is a god, just that god(s) need money to survive, they're dependant on it. Why do you think there's communion in churches?

And as a jmod I am not going to let this sarcastic and incorrect statement slip. All the members at Hypography are equal when it comes to the validity of their opinions. The staff simply has the added responsibility of keeping things flowing. Who do you think took care of things when someone hacked into the system? The mods and admins are also there to help people with technical issues, resolve arguments, keep threads on topic and get rid of spammers. We try to make this a nice place for everyone.

Also, it is a position that is earned, not bought. You might notice that not all the staff members are sponsors, and not all the sponsors are staff members. Mods and admins do their jobs on their own time, and don't get paid for it.

Now, let's get back to discussing the Mayan end date.

• 9 months later...

To finally conclude this thread:

Why 2012 is so special is because ALL of the Maya's calenders end in 2012.

They also all Start Over.

This harmony is extremely rare.

They didn't predict, they KNEW that this period of time was going to accellerate our consciousness.

Maybe we're all the children of a star, misguided in direction, our misdirection, pardon me while I pray for light,

Chad Gray is an amazing poet! (Decent vocalist) :)

Back to the subject, NF, do you think there's a weird connection, or relationship, between the Mayan end date and Terence McKenna's timewave zero?

Of course they are connected. His Timewave Zero was just another way to look at time and space. He graphed it's dynamics. He could predict spatial intensity with his timewaves. They were insanely accurate. Absolutely amazing.